left exhaust keeps backfiring

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX1260

Supporting Member
Reaction score
mu bike was running good. 2 days now only my left exhaust keeps backfiring constantly... it is getting a little annoying in the center town. no matter how many rpm i have when i release the throttle ... bam boom bam bam. in the night you can see sometimes and a little flame only in the left exhaust. could this be a bad spark plug??

mu bike was running good. 2 days now only my left exhaust keeps backfiring constantly... it is getting a little annoying in the center town. no matter how many rpm i have when i release the throttle ... bam boom bam bam. in the night you can see sometimes and a little flame only in the left exhaust. could this be a bad spark plug??

Far from being a motorcycle technician, but if you actually have fuel exploding in the exhaust, that would mean that at least one of the carbs is producing a too rich (too much fuel) air/fuel mixture, and the excess fuel ignites when it meets with the left-over air from the other cilinders in the exhaust ? :ummm:

Sounds like an exhaust leak to me.!!!!!
Before you do anything else tighten up your "exhaust pipe to head nuts" and your "exhaust pipe to muffler bolts" Then try it.

Could be many things.

Leaking exhaust is one.
Incomplete spark.
Improper A/F mixture. Rich or Lean is debateable. Do a google search for "afterfire, rich, lean" or "backfire, rich, lean"

A far off possibilty could be the coasting enrichener diaphrams. If the diaphragms have holes in them this could lead to popping thru the exhaust on decel. Not very common and doesn't happen overnight.

Sorry, not much help, just things to think about. I would pull the spark plugs and have a look once you verify the exhaust is not leaking.

i checked the linkage headers - exhaust .all good there. i dont have diaphrams because i run keihin fcr's on my bike. i ill replace my spark plugs before i go through the carbs. hope its the plugs i can go again to a mechanic .... they need TIME....

Back