Lighting in Scoops

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks cool. I had an idea about keeping the stock bulbs as well.
Could you put two relays in that work off the same switch. Keeping the stock directionals on and in low wattage. Insert your high wattages and when the button is pressed they would alternate between high low, two blinkers going at the same time but one bright one not. Am I making this clear at all????

Oh well
Cheers

PS I like the effect. Pretty sweet so far

Yes we can do that. This is the magic of relay logic systems. Find enough room to mount all the relays and I can make that fucker do the Charleston, if you like.

In other news, this project was supposed to be nearing completion and ready to write up today, but my lighting supplier sent me MR16 lense clips rather than the MR!! clips I ordered..... why the hell anyone would order MR11 dichro lenses and MR16 holders is beyond me, but I guess they don't apply that sort of logic.

Anyhoot, the whole thing is treading water ATM.

Noxx72,
That's a great look ! I've seen another that cut out the YAMAHA letter out on each scoop and ran yellow leds behind an acrilic / silicone seal for each letter . A lot of time consuming work , but a great look as well . Keep us posted on the final design .

Rollie

" How bout them Falcons "

THE MAYHEM CONTINUES....

Sorry this is taking so long, but all the "R&D" is time consuming. There's about 18 different ways to do this, and be the ass that I am, I intend to try em all before settling on the best look.

TOdays update: Installed a new base (B15) and lined the scoops with metallized mylar. Installed a lamp I had *very* high hopes for, the Halotone mini par sealed flood in 20w.

Holy crap, hot spot? Hot spot. These looked like SHIT, and they probably cost about $9 ea if you don't steal them from work, cross em off yer list.

So the best reflector type lamps that will fit, the halotone and the MR11 are both no-go. From here it's on to a GE "T" lamp, a mini-wedge array, or *shudder* LED's.

I know LED's are a hot ticket these days but I hate em. Sure they make shit glow but they don't broadcast for crap.

That's the news. Here's the weather. It's colder than the tits off a brass monkey out there.

I may go with this idea. I have a few ideas on how I would do this..
ALL LEDS Filiments style bulbs is just one step past the oil lamp technoligy.

I would line the whole inner part of the scoop with reflective chrome materail and also use some type of plastic mirror to reflect the LEDS... Chrystal Clear White LEDS for normal driving, relay over to orange for turn signals,, You know they have dual color LEDS dont ya? Just my idea, but I dont think I am going to make this. I am just not into the light thing.. I am working on a new idea which wont be ready until spring time.

I know LED's are a hot ticket these days but I hate em. Sure they make shit glow but they don't broadcast for crap.

What do you mean by 'don't broadcast'? I've seen so many newer cars lately with clusters of 15 LEDs for stop lights that light up like xmas trees so bright that at night it's blinding when you're stopped behind them at traffic lights!

Is this due to good plastic lens design amplifying the light, or are these LEDs just really that bright?

I'm thinking a cluster of these in the scoops would take a relatively small amount of room, and also could be shaped like an arrow or simply fill the surface space available. I don't think I'd bother with running lights myself - just go for the fukoff blinker effect, and redirect the running light wires to my rear units in the Fatmax bags...

Damn dude, are ya trying to use this idea to build you some fog lights, or a beacon light for the lost aliens?
Hmm I believe my mini mag lights here in the shop have been changed over from filiment to led with a broader and brighter light.. Some people just cant except change in technoligy..

Filiment bulbs suck ass! They arent good with water,, they give off heat, they are energy sucking worthless POS!

I will admit I dont think I would trash my headlight and use LEDS, but I am sure in about hmmm 2 yrs we will want to as they get closer to figuring it out..

What do you mean by 'don't broadcast'? I've seen so many newer cars lately with clusters of 15 LEDs for stop lights that light up like xmas trees so bright that at night it's blinding when you're stopped behind them at traffic lights!

Is this due to good plastic lens design amplifying the light, or are these LEDs just really that bright?.
'

LED's are bright provided you're looking right at them. The problem is A) by "they don't broadcast" I mean they shed very little real light and their viewing angle is pretty crappy, even with "wide angle" LED's.

More importantly, no matter what you do with a bunch of LED's, they look like exactly that, a bunch of LED's. If that's what someone is after, tits. Personally I'm trying for an almost coal-box like glow, just not gonna come up with LED drivers.

Damn dude, are ya trying to use this idea to build you some fog lights, or a beacon light for the lost aliens?

The latter.

What can I say, after a lot of years working with effects lighting, there are a limited number of applications I am pleased with LED's in.

Finished this up this morning, I'll try to get pics and a schematic up before the weekend is out. I ended up going with a pair of micro T3 base lamps in each scoop.

On an amusing note, one probably shouldn't come straight home from third shift and start wiring shit up. When I went to test it, my neutral lamp came on and was swapping with the turn signal light at the flash rate, and both sides were running off either flasher. I probably stared at that for a good five minutes before I realized I had, in the interest of cutting down splicing, wired the DC- sides of the relay coils in series, so energizing one was popping the other. Gotta go put a diode in that bugger. But first ZZZZzzzz's

Ya know, I thought the idea would be kinda goofy until I saw the video clip. That's cool! I'd thought of doing a moving LED light in mine - kinda like KITT's grille in "Knight Rider", but I'm not that handy with that stuff.

BTW, what's the definition of a Queeratron?

an electron that likes to blow fuses.

I think a great look would be lights like that hooked into the tach so they get brighter as you rev up the engine.

Noxx72,
I've seen another that cut out the YAMAHA letter out on each scoop and ran yellow leds behind an acrilic / silicone seal for each letter

I thought about doing that for years myself but just as running lights to light up the "YAMAHA" name.
But now with a new twist from a suggestion earlier on this thread to put two different colors lights in there. Have one (white or red maybe) on full time as running light for "YAMAHA" light up. And another (yellow) come on, shut off the white or red and start blinking (forwards and out the "YAMAHA") for the signal and then when signal is cancelled go back to running lights all with one push of the signal light switch.
That would be pretty cool I think.
Will you be posting your internal pics and schematic anytime soon? Keep up the great work.....:punk:

I need a dollar everytime I say "THIS FORUM ROCKS" :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Will you be posting your internal pics and schematic anytime soon? Keep up the great work.....:punk:

I know I have been so slack about putting together a final on this even tho the project is finished. Soon(ish)! I promise. sort of.

Just crazy busy here, and still always working on the bike. I'll take a day off at some point to document the scoops along with other mods.

I think a great look would be lights like that hooked into the tach so they get brighter as you rev up the engine.

I'm there dude, I wrote up some plans for "afterburner" lighting out back that will come on with the V-boost ( a momentary SSR is cheap, reliable, and closes from 3-32vdc so is perfect for the trick ) Once again the biggest hurdle is space for everything, since the Max isn't much but a motor and a seat.

I'm there dude, I wrote up some plans for "afterburner" lighting out back that will come on with the V-boost ( a momentary SSR is cheap, reliable, and closes from 3-32vdc so is perfect for the trick ) Once again the biggest hurdle is space for everything, since the Max isn't much but a motor and a seat.

I gotta see!!!!...............LLLLLLL

Digging up old post......I was thinking of adding red LED running lights inside my scoops. Did any of you guys have luck with this?? I was going to get a small light strip and add a toggle switch to turn them on, but I am not sure (without experimenting) what size and if I will need some sort of diffuser to spread the light inside of the scoop. I am not looking for super bright, just something to give off a slight "glow"

Latest posts

Back