Looking for ideas

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nd4topspd

Reaction score
I got my vmax out yesterday and decided to wash it off since it sat all winter in the shop. I have had this problem before but never have dug into it but decided to through it out there and see what you think. I always leave the bike running while rinsing off but it still seems to load up and try to backfire until I drive it a ways. It always cleans out after a couple miles but if you don't do it right away she will die on ya then it will drain your battery tryin to crank it till she starts again.
She runs like a top before and after the problem and I am sure it is simple but I would like to avoid this problem next time around.
Any thoughts would be greatly taken.
Thanks
John

My question is....Where are you spraying the water while it is running??? Also are you pressure washing it???

If you are letting water run over the faux tank while it is running your are taking the chance of getting it into the carbs and electronics. Yes I know these bikes run in the rain but that is not water being poured directly over it.

I might be overly anal about my bike but I take off the faux tank and wash it in the house. As for the engine I use foaming Simple Green and let it sit on the engine for a while then use distilled water to wash it off. I never spray water directly at it while it is running. The only reason I use distilled water is it doesnt leave spots. So I do what you do after I am done washing, fire it up. All the water dries off and no water spots to try and get off. Then all the chrome gets a good coat of Mothers chrome polish (after it cools down) :biglaugh:

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Yes to pressure washing but I try not to ever spray toward the scoops and carb area. I guess I ain't careful enough lol. I am always in a hurry to ride so I have a habit of going to the local car wash. Water in the carbs sounds right for how it acts but like you said it runs in the rain from time to time with no problem. Thanks for the tips

I would honestly NOT use a power washer on any bike, well maybe a dirt bike.
I use a garden house, and never above the seat if that makes sense. Never have had an issue.

Ya sounds like good advise. I think next time I will take off the cover and plug all the open holes around the air box and just use the garden hose and see what happens. Yesterday I got 2 blocks from the car wash and had to stop at an intersection and cough. Next thing was calling a friend to jump me cause she gave up before she fired back off. I think I learned my lesson on pressure wahes lol

I wash my bike with the soaking mitt and garden hose , and had very little problems at all. Always on the side stand and the hose spray in a fine mist straight down on the bike never at the sides. Very quick over the gauges.
I hear you on the water spots,...I chamois religiously.

Yes ,....running my hands over every smooth surface ,....feeling the wetness ,..seeing the sheen of silky smooth colour glisten,...both the supple scoops filling my han..d s,....ahem,.....

Yea summer is too far off.,....And yes ,..it has been awhile. :confused2:

The best way ive found on washing the bike is i spray dish washing liquid all over it then BOOST it thru the nearest river .... Na just joking .

A quick spray with the hose then bucket of warm water with my carwash stuff with wax in it , attack that with a sponge then spray off then dry it off .
I use the clear tyre spray for the motor, radiator and wipe that off

Latest posts

Back