Looking for max to build

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theemax

Reaction score
I just sold my 93, and am looking for a 93 or up bike to build the way I want. I want to rake the bike out, and either build my own motor, or maybe buy one from Morley. Am looking for a complete bike, but bad motor and bad paint is ok. I would though, rather not want one that spent much time sitting outside. If anyone knows of one, or runs accross one,within about 500 miles of cenral IL, I would appreciate a P.M.. For the right bike at the right price, I would have it shipped if it's farther than 500 miles. (the ex works for ups:biglaugh:) I found a guy on craiglist in the St Louis area who is selling two for an estate. One is I think an 86 for $3,000, and a parts bike, but he doesn't know much on the parts bike, and it sounds like it's in pieces.

theres one up in watertown NY for like 1800

I would love to find something a little newer with maybe the motor going, The 85-86 models scare me because of the tranny issue. Also, I may run stock rims for a year, I don't know. The early vmax's had bad looking wheels!!

Called sportmax today, and it looks like they will be doing the frame rake. I thought I knew alot about bikes, but after alot of research, I unserstand why raked triple tree's are a bad move. What I would love to find is a pretty clean one with maybe a spun bearing, cheap, and either rebuild the engine, or buy one done. Sportmax rakes them to 38 degrees, and I would like to get one soon, strip it, and send the frame off while I deal with the engine.:punk:

Here is a small pic that I got from a shop in FL of a Max that they raked the front end. Glad they did, I was able to buy the fork tubes from this bike.

Attachments

• vmax.jpg
    vmax.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 21
http://watertown.craigslist.org/mcy/1388125502.html

It's a ways away...and older.....but cheap.....

If I had the money...it would no longer be for sale......

I could join the ranks of the multiple Vmax owners.....Should be an award for that.....
be a nice little side bike to pick up, you know as a back-up for someone else to ride if you could get it for a little less :hmmm:

The rake on the max in that picture is quite a bit more than I am after. If you look on Mad max's web site he has before and after of milder rakes. The 85 max came out when I was 18 yrs old, and my first resonse to the picture on the magazine was, "man if they stretched it just a tad raked that front end and lowered it a bit that would look mean as hell" I have seen many done, and they do.

I have just the bike for you but I'm in south Florida so a bit over your 500 mile range. If the mileage doesn't bother you, send me a PM. We'll talk. Clean complete frame with title, 94 motor with no issues, old or new style wheels.

If you're going to change the rake do it right and chop the neck on the frame. Those triple tree offset rakes are dangerous.

The Vmaxes look bad-ass when raked!!! My drag bike is raked 10 degrees and I would say you wouldn't want to go more than 5 or 6 degrees to keep it on the street. You wouldn't think 5 degrees would make a big difference, but it does! I've heard bad things about adding rake in the triples myself.. no experience with them, but just what I have heard. I know some sport bikes do this, but you are talking only a degree or two, and their stock rake is basically nothing anyway.

Hell you may even be able to talk to me about selling my 02.... I need a good winter project so maybe I could sell mine and look for something new.... or put some serious time into the drag bike.... chain drive... nitrous... fat-assed slick:ummm:

Later,

Jeff

Patmax, if you can, call my cell @ 309-371-3567, I have allready checked on ballpark shipping rates and may be interested. Jeff, you're right on the rake. I talked to sportmax, and can have the neck raked for around $600 plus my shipping. I was planning on going to 38 degrees, and he said that's about right because anything beyond that the front tire wants to flop on turns. On Mad Max's web site, click on "new stuff", then scroll down and you will see two pictures of a blue max, and that I would guess is close to what I will have. Nothing radical, and doesn't really stand out, but really changes the look.

Latest posts

Back