Loss of power above 5k, slide issues?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heretic

Reaction score
Finally was able to get the bike out on the road and its not pulling past 5k. Pulled the air box top and cleaned thoroughly the intake holes with carb cleaner. While I was doing this I noticed that the slides wouldn't move, at all, even revving to 7k. I had the carb side covers p/c this year, and I double checked my re-install to make sure that the slides were sealed alright and cleaned up that area with carb cleaner.

The question is, what would cause the slides not to move when revving the engine? I can put a screwdriver down the carb mouth and move them, and the move freely. I'm 99% sure that that slides are installed and sealed correctly. What else could it be? I am assuming that this is the reason my bike is running poorly.

Thanks all

i watched my slides open fully at about 5k with the airbox lid of. this was at WOT in 5th gear tho (on a dyno).

so i gotta imagine u'll see some fluctuation at 7k....

so i'm just guessing here. one of two issues:

1. the engine isn't pulling enough 'mixture'. maybe do a compression test to check?

2. slides can't move right. either as you said the diaphragms aren't sealing properly. double check that. or they are binding on something (but you said as well that isn't the issue)

thats a weird one man. i wasn't any help either.

I know that with the airbox off, my bike just bogs down when attempting to rev it. But if I rev it slowly (progressively) it will eventually build up revs, and then I can see the slides just starting to pull.

Do they move freely when you push them with the screwdriver, and return properly on their springs?

Also, have you checked all your diaphragms are in good condition, free of tears, pinholes and the like? Hold them in the sunlight to check 'em out..

If you had the covers powder coated, make sure the hole at the bottom isn't coated shut.

Back