Lost bolt!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nytrozula

Reaction score
In an attempt to add some storage to the bike, I lost a bolt inside the rear fender! The bolt fell in to what appers to be a black hole. I tried to use a magnet to retrieve it but no luck. is the fender easily removed? how can I get to the bottom of this ender so I can find the missing bolt?

The rear mudguard consists of the plastic outer and metal inner.
If memory serves well there are three bolts (two large and a smaller one) that attach it to the frame.
You will also need to disconnect the tail light and indicator wiring.

Once you have the assembly apart you will be able to retrieve the bolt.

Alternatively you could just leave it where it is.

The rear mudguard consists of the plastic outer and metal inner.
If memory serves well there are three bolts (two large and a smaller one) that attach it to the frame.
You will also need to disconnect the tail light and indicator wiring.

Once you have the assembly apart you will be able to retrieve the bolt.

Alternatively you could just leave it where it is.
For a 2015?

If he is referring to a 2015 (which appears to be what he owns) I know exactly what he's talking about and Steve's suggestion of leaving it where it is is the best way to go....it's what I did after dropping a small bolt into 'the black hole', after trying magnets, bent wires, straight & angled hemostats (and a few other tools I don't remember)!

Black Hole is a very apt description!

After saying all that....if there is a way to perform this retrieval Mark (Itgoes) will know how to do it...you could reach out to him.

LOL. I have at least two flat washers, and a 1/4" drive 1/4" socket residing in my "black hole" as I type this.

However, I'd like to point out that with the rear seat removed, the rear fender is fairly easy, peasy to remove. Just a couple of minutes after you've done it once. You have to take the metal side plates off the fender, including the rear backrest & luggage rack, if installed. After that, there's just the two little Phillips head screws at the very front sides of the fender and about a half dozen, or so, of the little plastic push pin keepers to remove - they are released by pushing in on their centers.

I once lost the threaded cap from a spark plug which dropped down into one of the cylinders from the spark plug hole:bang head:
Using a borescope camera into my laptop I could see it easy enough and tried for ages with a magnet only to realize that plug caps are stainless and non magnetic
Duhhhh!
Using a welding rod with some Blu-Tack squashed onto the end of it I eventually got it out :eusa_dance:

Yes, this is a 2015.

My problem is that I would be thinking of that ****** bolt every time I rode and it would drive me nuts knowing its there! If the rear fender comes out that easy I'll try it. I spent way too much time with a magnet and even broke off a magnet in there trying to retrieve it. So, removing it involves removing the rear seat and a couple Philips head screws? What are the metal plates you are referring to? Are you referring to the ones that say VMAX?

In an attempt to add some storage to the bike, I lost a bolt inside the rear fender! The bolt fell in to what appers to be a black hole. I tried to use a magnet to retrieve it but no luck. is the fender easily removed? how can I get to the bottom of this ender so I can find the missing bolt?

Ahhh...join the club! Any Gen 2 owner that has wrenched on their bike, has fallen victim to the stray bolt "Bermuda Triangle" that exists in the recesses of the rear fender.

I happily retrieved TWO bolts when I removed my rear fender to change colors last year. Could have sworn there might have been 1 or 2 more in there!

As annoying as it may be to you, leaving it there will cause no harm....and you'll eventually forget it's there. :)

Although I've never tried it, a very strong magnet on the wheel well (between the tire and fender) might grab hold and allow you to slide it up to a spot where you can grab it. Maybe a long-shot but probably worth a try.

Good luck!

For a 2015?

Well done Mr Blaxmax, I wondered who would be the first to notice my deliberate mistake! :eat brains:

Instead of thinking about the bolt divert your thoughts to the next 'safety related'* purchase for your bike.

I'd still be inclined to leave it until there is good reason to take the mudguard off.

* Safety related in this instance refers to all purchases for your bike as your nearest and dearest couldn't object if the item would enhance your well being.

Tried the strong magnet with no luck! I'd really like to know exactly where it fell to, I mean, there really isn't many places it could go but its gone!

ITGoes.....did you have any issues removing the rear fender?

Yes, this is a 2015.

My problem is that I would be thinking of that ****** bolt every time I rode and it would drive me nuts knowing its there! If the rear fender comes out that easy I'll try it. I spent way too much time with a magnet and even broke off a magnet in there trying to retrieve it. So, removing it involves removing the rear seat and a couple Philips head screws? What are the metal plates you are referring to? Are you referring to the ones that say VMAX?

The only plates bolted through the sides of your rear fender. They look like they are only decorative trim. If you have the rear passenger backrest bolted on, it's longer bolts will be going right through those metal, decorative plates. Leave your lower side plates, with their Vmax emblems ALONE. No need to take them off as well.

I lost a bolt down there too...twice! I was able to retrieve them both times with my telescoping magnet. I guess I was real lucky! I would drive me crazy knowing they were down there too! I wouldn't be able to sleep at night!

Back