low oil pressure

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffb

Reaction score
'97 Max, not new to the "o"ring problem. Pushed out in the past, now updated with the late model elbow, but, oil press. always low so I pulled it apart last night to check again, o-ring looked good, now what?? Oil press. is at zero at idle until about1600-1700 rpm's, then about 10 - 12 psi below rpm, like 4,000rpm- 30psi. Should I be thinking about bearings, or maybe Sean's high volume oil pump????

Mine gives 10 psi at hot idle then 10 per 1000 rpm to the pressure relief at about 60psi.

Sean

mines all over the place depending on the temp. seems that some of them are... when my engine is very warm (not overheating) it does about what you are saying. i wouldn't worry about it. mine is typically (once warm) anywhere from 8 - 14 PSI per 1k RPMs starting anywhere from 1 psi to 8 psi at idle...

Make sure your gauge is reading right at the bottom end of its scale. It may not be reading right. I'd hate to see you tear into a motor when there's nothing wrong with it.

Chris

i was talking to danny about this at brownie run. he's seen them all over the place as well between his two max's...

i use the oil pressure gauge jus tkind of a rough estimate as long as my oil pressure in PSI is no less than 60 - 70% of my RPMs/100 i'm happy.

i also use it to know when i can start really playing. i let the coolant get to normal operating temp. then on the oil, once it gets below 25 psi at idle i'll bring her above 3k rpms but no higher than 5 or 6. once its under 10 psi i'll go no higher than maybe 8 but no WOTing. then once its lower than 5/7 PSI i'll start running

Jeffb, if I'm reading your post correctly, you have no gauge movement up to 1600 - 1700 when you blip the throttle?

The ones I have seen react instantly to throttle input.

As 4gasm mentioned can you get your hands on another gauge to verify yours is reading correctly? (As 4gasm mentioned)

Jeffb, if I'm reading your post correctly, you have no gauge movement up to 1600 - 1700 when you blip the throttle?

The ones I have seen react instantly to throttle input.

As 4gasm mentioned can you get your hands on another gauge to verify yours is reading correctly? (As 4gasm mentioned)

It's 4GASEM... Get it right... :damn angry:

:biglaugh: lol J/k

i would agree with that. i always see movement on any throttle movement

It's 4GASEM... Get it right... :damn angry:

:biglaugh: lol J/k

I put the "e" in there, I remember putting the "e" in!! What the hell happened to it!! :confused2:

I will not misspell 4gasem's name!
I will not misspell 4gasem's name!
I will not .......... 4gasem's........!

:biglaugh: I did it TWICE for shit's sake!!

I was thinking about trying a different gauge also, the one i have is from COO, & yea it's not very responsive till a fer rev's. The oil pressure that is. Hey Sean, are your pressure readings with a stock pump or an overdrive pump. I might be interested in a pump setup like that if possible.

Latest posts

Back