Lowering Front End

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippo6

Reaction score
Ok, stupid question time.... If I wanted to lower my front end simply by raising the forks in the tree, is that all there is too it? How far is too far?

TO far would be when the tops of the forks hit the bars... lol

Yes you can just lower it. 1 inch would be about max IMO. Make sure the weight of the bike is being held before loosening the clamps. Sounds like a dumb thing to say but someone here did it. Slide them up making sure they are level. To low with stock springs and the fender will wave hello to the radiator and not in a happy way...

Chris

LOL! Thanks Chris! One more question. At the stock possition are the forks level with the top of the tree or already raised a bit? Mine are a bit hihger already so I want to make sure that someone has not already dropped the front end some....

~~~ Wave hello to the Rad <--- LMAO! ~~~~

the bottom of the chrome caps should be just about at the top triple tree. any space there where the forks show thru and they are not stock position.

Ok, so based on your comments my forks appear to all ready be lowered about an inch. Here are some pics I took yesterday... ya, I'm a noob, but feel more like a boob!

:bang head:

Attachments

• 100_8215.jpg
    100_8215.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 100_8217.jpg
    100_8217.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 68
Yep! Already lowered!

If you want it lower yet I would rebuild the forks with lowering springs. This isn't a five minute job so keep that in mind.

Chris

+1 with chris. i just did this to mine about 5/8" and it feels pretty nice.

hey is there a way to do this with pre 93 forks, the ones that have the air connector thing?

Thanks guys! I think I'll leave it alone for now, I have enough on my plate right now.... well might not seem a lot for you old pros, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew....
Tasks for this rain filled weekend:
- replace plugs
- replace fuel filter
- run seafoam through 'er
- wire the Goddamn fan bypass once and for all!! (I've had it apart twice now...)
- figure out what I need to clean the carbs, then stew about it for a while trying to determine if I'm willing to screw this up......
- oh ya, clean up next to the shed to build a piece onto it so I can fit all the gas powered 'toys'....

You can do pre '93 forks by removing the cross over filling the hole with epoxy and then respring it. You might as well just put an internal lowering kit in them and call it good!

Chris

Thanks guys! I think I'll leave it alone for now, I have enough on my plate right now.... well might not seem a lot for you old pros, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew....
Tasks for this rain filled weekend:
- replace plugs
- replace fuel filter
- run seafoam through 'er
- wire the Goddamn fan bypass once and for all!! (I've had it apart twice now...)
- figure out what I need to clean the carbs, then stew about it for a while trying to determine if I'm willing to screw this up......
- oh ya, clean up next to the shed to build a piece onto it so I can fit all the gas powered 'toys'....

i'm still waiting to do my fan switch... i think ya basically splice in around the thermostat so you can either let the thermostat control the fan or you do right?

Yep! It's basically like putting a jumper between the two leads on the stat. UBER easy. I just ran the wires over to my left neck cover and drilled a hole and installed the switch.

Chris

Yep! It's basically like putting a jumper between the two leads on the stat. UBER easy. I just ran the wires over to my left neck cover and drilled a hole and installed the switch.

Chris

sounded it, wasn't sure tho.. people were talking about it not going off with the ignition, seemed like that was the easiest way!

Back