M.p.g.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robike_75

Reaction score
hi all.
80 miles on a tank of gas. first i see a FAINT glow where the fuel light is and turn around just to run out gas a mile later. i did not know there was a reserve switch on the handlebars. i did three weeks ago when i serviced it, but forgot. any bike i have ever owned had a switck on the engine. so I pushed it about a quarter mile to get gas.:bang head: . i know iam an idiot. you guys get better gas mileage. thats a lot of stops at the pump. i still :confused2:don't if my reserve works. mike

hi all.
80 miles on a tank of gas.

it all depends how you drive it. i know for a fact i can get 25 to 30 kms out of the reserve, never been out. but, ive had the fuel light come on at around 90 kms. (average speed 200 kph for most of the trip, or there abouts. serious hooligan riding), and ive made it over 190 kms and the light flickered on. long stretch of road that has a gas stop in the middle, but was too late to stop there, had to baby to make the next station. i knew this so right from the fill up, it was very slow starts, shift at 4000 rpm or less, no hotrodding, and coast the most i could.

so that said my max and min, including reserve would be...

approx 110 kms maybe minimum, and probably 220 kms to the last drop maximum MAYBE...

it can be a civil bike if it needs to be. both were done with in months of each other on a fresh tune up. the high milage one can be verified if you dont believe it, there was a witness lol...

peace,
evan...

i I GET ANYWHERE FROM 20-26 MPG'S AROUND TOWN AND LIGHT TRAFFIC AND JUST OVER 46 MPG'S ON THE OPEN ROAD GOING TO UP-STATE N.Y. , ........ MANY TIMES NOW !

I was getting a solid 35-42 with my old, mostly stock carb setup. That's spirited riding. If I dogged the shit out of it I could get it down to 28-32

No idea what the new setup is going to get.

My Max and just about every other one I ride with takes 3.15-3.18 galloins to top it off after hitting reserve. Should leave about .8 gallons or 20-30 miles till empty depending on what mileage you're getting.

If your stock and getting 80 miles on a tank before the light comes on you've got problems. Should get around 110 or 115 before the light.

I eeked out 160 miles on a tank once just to test it. I had a spare 1 gallon can with me for back up. I was riding pretty conservatively when I did that.

Last edited:
i still :confused2:don't if my reserve works. mike

It's easy to test, just make sure your're in an area where you can get gas or better yet take a 1 gallon can with you and ride it till the light comes on.

At that point DO NOT put it on reserve, leave it alone till the engine starts to sputter and flick it to reserve, the engine should come back to life.

The reserve switch can be a little confusing as it's labeled in a stupid manner. It says "ON" and "Reserve" "On" is normal, no reserve, you flick it to "reserve" and it bypasses the low fuel level fuel pump cut off switch in the tank and forces the fuel pump back on. There is not a reserve dip tube lower down in the tank or anything like that. It's just a method to make you pay attention by temporarily making you run out of gas till you hit the switch to reserve.

Last edited:
I went dead on the road at 152 miles once....the last 30 or so were all at 100+. I was hauling ass and totally forgot I was supposed to get off at an exit to get gas....didn't make it to the next one. You can coast for over a mile when you run out of gas at 130mph and pull in the clutch quick....

25-30 in town or running it hard, high 30's to low 40s on the highway.

The reserve switch is just there to "ensure" the bike gets your attention since the fuel light is pretty easy to miss.

Tested my new setup (posted in carb section, but essentially it's stage 7 but without the springs) I'm down to 30 mpg at 85-90, filled it up, made a solid highway run across town = 60 miles and topped it off at the first exit; so should be pretty accurate.

hi all.
... so I pushed it about a quarter mile to get gas.:bang head: . i know iam an idiot. you guys get better gas mileage....
dude don't sweat it. it's remembering that you have a petcock. just today i was lined up on a traffic light on the way home, itchin for the go juice. as soon as the tree turned green, i opened it up and blub blub blub. :bang head: i knew immediately that i just needed to pet the cock, but died in the middle of the intersection...forgot that i had been tuning and flushing and i that i wasn't gonna get 105 on the three gals.:rofl_200:

to be quite honest, you can drive all the time with the petcock "opening" the reserve. something i think i'll start doing, don't know why i keep flippin it back.
[edit] whoops rusty already covered it... ya what he said :whistlin:

my mileage dropped a bit once i went to 17" rear rim. altho it also accelerates quicker so i'm having more fun with it too!

The reserve switch can be a little confusing as it's labeled in a stupid manner. It says "ON" and "Reserve" "On" is normal, no reserve, you flick it to "reserve" and it bypasses the low fuel level fuel pump cut off switch in the tank and forces the fuel pump back on. There is not a reserve dip tube lower down in the tank or anything like that. It's just a method to make you pay attention by temporarily making you run out of gas till you hit the switch to reserve.

Thanks! I was just wondering that today! I had all kinds of questions like when to flip the switch when I fill it up or if you never used reserve would it be full of stale gas, etc.

So you could really just leave it on reserve all the time and the light will still come on but it wouldn't sputter out first?

There is no reserve compartment so there will be no stale fuel. The low fuel light comes on when the sensor is tripped with ~ 8/10ths of a gallon left in the tank.

Back