Marks exhaust and carb update

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06VMAXIMUS

Reaction score
So after installing the Marks pipes, K&N air filter, fuel filter, and new spark plugs, I decided to dig into the carbs after occasional exhaust popping would not go away. Carbs aren't bad to do, but are time consuming. I found that all four of my float levels were set way high from the factory. Carbs were pretty clean for the most part, and I did find a little schmutz in them. Reinstalled and synced, but could not ride due to rain, so I continued on with my progressive spring installation. Everything went smooth, and today I was able to test ride it. What a difference the float heights have made! The bike no longer stinks like raw fuel when idling, and seems to have more power at all RPM's. The only thing I changed in the carbs was the float height, and I gotta say that if anyone hasn't checked theirs, they should. I have owned the bike since new, and it never has run this crisp!Front springs seem like a good improvement as well, I haven't done any twisties yet, but dive during acceleration and braking is much less. Mod monkey seems to be happy.....for now.

Thanks for the tips Mike, and a big thanks to dannymax for all his help and patience answering all my questions. This forum rocks!

So just out of curiosity what were your float settings before you adjusted them and what did you end up adjusting them to? I'm planning on tearing them back open and want to make sure my wet settings are within range...Thanks

From measuring before adjusting, if I remember the numbers correctly they were 1.250, and I adjusted to 1.117. This is with the carb upside down, measuring from inside of bowl to top of float. If you look in the link that danny gave above, you will see a circle as a reference point, and the recess in the float just happens to line up perfectly with it when its correct (at least mine did after measuring). I checked the wet level after installing, and all four were spot on at 17mm.

Latest posts

Back