marks performance

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegetta58

Reaction score
Alright Yall talked me in to the Mark SST 4/2 pipes(Yeah the Mod Monkey hit fast). What exactly will I have to do to have the bike tuned properly after I put them on. I'm not a carb guru but am pretty good with a wrench. Will I have to take it somewhere to get it tuned after install? Not sure if there is anyone around South carolina or not for the tune. Thanks. Never been to a site where people help out so much! Awesome

well congrats on the monkey infection, hit this one fast hahahah

well for sure you can do the work yourself, lots of guys have that set up they will be able to get you real close to perfect set up. Danmax or garrett, chris all have similar setups. Id drop sean(one2dmax) a line and get one of his jet kits. He for sure will guide your monkey along the right path to bliss. Dan will have that link to where he got his pipes, they still might be on sale

Does anyone know of someone that has a clue about the Vmax in SC?

even if they don't, post up your results here and people will walk u thru it. sean will help out sure, top notch customer service. i had my own thread for my install which people never stopped helping..

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=8932

the hardest part of the carbs, is if anything is seized up. for that i'm glad i initially brought it to the shop for them to deal w/all the shit on my bike that sat for years.

if you want though, you dont' HAVE to do it in conjuction.. if you take marks advice just to shim the needles and adjust the a/f screws, you don't even have to unrack the carbs (as long as there are no stuck bolts) you can always add a jet kit later if you want just max out of it.

if u have a local dyno shop they can help you set the a/f screws i'm sure if you can't do it by ear (i couldn't).

I've had a set of Marks Pipes and the sound is incredible!

You have a couple of options in moving forward. If you have the cash to spend and want to maximize the horsepower potential of your bike you should buy a jet kit. There are really only two choices out there that are worth while.

My #1 choice (and many others) is a "Morley Muscle Jet Kit" click on the banner at the top of this site, or look around and you'll find tons of info. The jet kit will get you the most HP out of your OEM carbs, the best mileage, and Sean has the best customer service out thee.

MY #2 choice would be the Dyno Jet Stage 7 kit. It will give you the same HP as the muscle jet kit but you will lose some low end grunt, it costs more, you lose your airbox in lieu of separate, pod filters, and say good bye to vboost.

If you don't have an extra $250 to spend on your carbs after dropping the cash on your pipes, DON'T WORRY!:biglaugh:

You can get your bike to run just fine without a jet kit. All you need to do is buy some small washers to shim the needles and turn the A/F screws a bit and you'll be good to go.

I was intimidated by the Vmax carbs when I first bought the bike but with help from this site, I gained the knowledge and confidence to totally tear into them with great results!!! There is a wealth of knowledge here in the carb forum. Lost of great posts and pictures to help you do the job right without having to pay a dealer to screw it up for you.

I've had a set of Marks Pipes and the sound is incredible!

You have a couple of options in moving forward. If you have the cash to spend and want to maximize the horsepower potential of your bike you should buy a jet kit. There are really only two choices out there that are worth while.

My #1 choice (and many others) is a "Morley Muscle Jet Kit" click on the banner at the top of this site, or look around and you'll find tons of info. The jet kit will get you the most HP out of your OEM carbs, the best mileage, and Sean has the best customer service out thee.

MY #2 choice would be the Dyno Jet Stage 7 kit. It will give you the same HP as the muscle jet kit but you will lose some low end grunt, it costs more, you lose your airbox in lieu of separate, pod filters, and say good bye to vboost.

If you don't have an extra $250 to spend on your carbs after dropping the cash on your pipes, DON'T WORRY!:biglaugh:

You can get your bike to run just fine without a jet kit. All you need to do is buy some small washers to shim the needles and turn the A/F screws a bit and you'll be good to go.

I was intimidated by the Vmax carbs when I first bought the bike but with help from this site, I gained the knowledge and confidence to totally tear into them with great results!!! There is a wealth of knowledge here in the carb forum. Lost of great posts and pictures to help you do the job right without having to pay a dealer to screw it up for you.

yea i knew nothing about carbs before tearing into mine. read a lot on CV carbs and the existing threads on peoples installs.

also, both kits are about $200 - $250, but with dynojet stage 7 u gotta buy the pods separate which are about $150 - $200 for the 4 of them.

i also have plenty of radioshack washers for shimming needles so i can mail you some as well.

garrett always helping others with their monkey habits, nice to see.

and i got the washers man, thanks, when i get back home I will be tearing into the carbs to get her right. on route/at brownie run if i can make it, should be lots of opinions there/test drives lol.

Alright Yall talked me in to the Mark SST 4/2 pipes(Yeah the Mod Monkey hit fast). What exactly will I have to do to have the bike tuned properly after I put them on. I'm not a carb guru but am pretty good with a wrench. Will I have to take it somewhere to get it tuned after install? Not sure if there is anyone around South carolina or not for the tune. Thanks. Never been to a site where people help out so much! Awesome
Wow surprised Danny has not answered yet. He has had good luck and dyno proven results with stock jets. So if you want to stay with your stock jets, you can shim your jet needles .038 with washers from Radio Shack. Then adjust your A/F screws out 3 1/4- 3 1/2 turns. Then re-sync your carbs. You need to re-sync carbs anytime you make adjustments.
I did this stock jet adjustment first, but then just had to try the Morley jet kit. Power is very nice. And as it has been said before, his customer service is top notch.

Maybe monkey's got dan cornered in the garage........ its ok dan-o listen to that voice, check the air in the tires by pulling off the carbs and fenders!!!!!!!!! dont anger the monkey dan hahahahahah

Haha!!! Ok, ok....I didn't know all this talk was going on!! Look at the times on these posts! This ol' doggie was long into the land of nod!! :biglaugh:

First off, have the brass plugs over the Air/Fuel adjustment screws been removed?
If not, remove them...then place a couple drops of oil, wd or PB Blaster in the holes and let the screws get lubed.
A common problem is someone drilling out the plugs to do an a/f adjust and leaving the holes uncapped....rain/wash water gets in there and siezes up the adjuster screws.
So, free up the A/F screws, carefully, and back them out 3 1/4 turns, shim the needles .038" (1mm).
I would do that first, see how she runs and further down the road go for the Morley kit, or Stg. 7.

This worked real well for my '99 and gave some nice dyno results. PM me if anything isn't clear.

And so it has been said!!!!!! like you got that para memorized there dan, or you cut and paste the paragraph lol.

And so it has been said!!!!!! like you got that para memorized there dan, or you cut and paste the paragraph lol.

:rofl_200:Well, I've been switching them back & forth, and finally have two Mark's systems so I got lots of practice!! :rofl_200:

Actually I've moved them around so many times that I lost most of the proper dimension washers and had to settle for .040" shims instead of the recommended .038"!! :bang head:

I got a feeling the extra 2 mills ain't gonna do all that much damage....ya think? :ummm:

things get looser with age man so maybe its called for now. takin up the gap!!!! ya know.

was the purchase because you got tired of switching the pipes back and forth when one complained too much, ya know lack of attention thing, you gotta rub their belly to keep them happy.

:rofl_200:Well, I've been switching them back & forth, and finally have two Mark's systems so I got lots of practice!! :rofl_200:

Actually I've moved them around so many times that I lost most of the proper dimension washers and had to settle for .040" shims instead of the recommended .038"!! :bang head:

I got a feeling the extra 2 mills ain't gonna do all that much damage....ya think? :ummm:

5% shouldn't do much danny.

things get looser with age man so maybe its called for now. takin up the gap!!!! ya know.

was the purchase because you got tired of switching the pipes back and forth when one complained too much, ya know lack of attention thing, you gotta rub their belly to keep them happy.

speaking of shims, u get urs yet man?

ya man thanks, when i get home i'll dive back into the carbs and mess with them, or as i said i'll wait for brownie run and get some more help with testing from the guys. let a few guys ride her and see what they think. better have ear plugs that kerker gets loud when not in cruise mode lol.

ya man thanks, when i get home i'll dive back into the carbs and mess with them, or as i said i'll wait for brownie run and get some more help with testing from the guys. let a few guys ride her and see what they think. better have ear plugs that kerker gets loud when not in cruise mode lol.
My helmet is super quiet, I used to use ear plugs just because of the wind with my old helmet. This vemar is great with next to zero wind noise and lets just enough of the Mark's sound in!
I kid you not that when I close my visor the noise level drops at least 5 db sitting still!

Last edited:
sweet, ya i got a older helmet and on long rides have little music in the backround, mostly cause i'm no good at singing and cuts the wind noise but i dont mind the kerker sound at all. if you've ever stood infront of a TPE-331 Garrett motor at idle i dont need to explain any more, you understand when i say the kerker is quite.

sweet, ya i got a older helmet and on long rides have little music in the backround, mostly cause i'm no good at singing and cuts the wind noise but i dont mind the kerker sound at all. if you've ever stood infront of a TPE-331 Garrett motor at idle i dont need to explain any more, you understand when i say the kerker is quite.
I'm goning to have to ride behind you to listen to that sweet song the kerker is singing! I have had limited exposure to anything other than my buddies Marks and mine. I really want to hear a kerker with a 2.5" comp baffle and a hindle as well.
I use the earplugs to keep it quiet as possible as the 4-500 miles rides are tiring if I have a constant loud noise.

sure is a sweet sound, super tough at idle, half cold, got that top fuel dragster sound ya know, oh ya super tough!!!! :punk::punk:

Latest posts

Back