Me to .

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunrunner

Reaction score
I know there are treads on this but having my bike for just on a couple of weeks still getting used to her , now every now and then from second to third it seems to go to neutral is this normal as with my big gloves on im thinking maybe its me and also when i am coming up to my driveway changing from 4th to second while going down thru the gears slowly its seems to not change unless i pump the clutch to get in to 2nd and yes i do experience the clunking while going thru the gears to . Bike was imported by me from Japan (can model) has had full service so not sure of what oil they used .

1992 Vmax 23300 kms .:ummm:

I have had this happen to me once, freaked me out! It never happened again so I am thinking it was just me not giving it enough pull on the shifter...

I hate wearing heavy gloves on the bikes, summer here though. Try "preloading the shift lever" before each shift---- makes a world of difference and soon enough it will become a habit.
The Oil you use will make a big difference also.
Good luck.
Lew

If the problem seems to occur mainly with down-shifting and occasionally with up-shifting it may be a case of the clutch not fully releasing.

So here is what you can do to check it out.

1) With the bike in 1st gear and the engine not running, depress the clutch lever and try to push the bike forward. If there is drag on the plates it will be obvious.

2) Does the bike tend to grab and lurch when you put it into 1st? Try it. If it does then the clutch is dragging?

The V-max clutch has no adjustment so a dragging clutch is most likely caused by

1) Air in the clutch hydraulic fluid. - Bleed the line and if the fluid is old (dark colour) change it.

2) Dragging master or slave piston due to perished rubber pistons or O-ring seals. Over time these degrade and swell and get mushy. This causes the pistons in the hydraulic chamber to bind and have resticted travel in the chamber. i.e. the can't move enough to push the clutch plates apart.

Clutch master cylinder and slave cylinders will need to be overhauled. (easy job.

This is very common in older model V-maxes.

I have an 05' and the clutch tends to drag a little when the engine is stone cold. Once the oil has some temp in it everything runs smooth. What temp's are you currently riding in and what viscosity of oil are you using?

I have an 05' and the clutch tends to drag a little when the engine is stone cold. Once the oil has some temp in it everything runs smooth. What temp's are you currently riding in and what viscosity of oil are you using?

Its winter here so temps lucky to get to 15c not sure on oil as full service was done at shop when it 1st came into the country , did 180kms on her yesterday and it only started doing it on the return journey bout 140kms mark :confused2:

Latest posts

Back