Med Helo Down

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slacker

Reaction score
Had a medivac go down in my back yard this morn. Heard it went up 100-200', then dropped. Not any sign of a good auto rotation. All three crew were flighted out. One has a broken spine. I always wonder if one of these rides will come down on my house. It is a busy little terminal.

Attachments

• h1.jpg
    h1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 86
Wow! That doesn't happen every day!

Might be a good thing that it didn't come down on that white fuel tank....eh! Things may have heated up in a hurry. :punk:

Man, that had to be a brutal impact, hope the crew makes out alright.

Just found out it was mech problems. It ended up finishing dropping hard 40-50' feet. Could explain the bad auto showing. I know it's a bad pick but the pad under the bird is all fuel. JP 8 takes quite a bit to set it off. Don't know any more on the injuries. Right to the south of this pad is an intersection to 50. There are always accidents there. Sometimes, they'd cart people over to the pad and haul them off. I may hear one out of ten accidents. I didn't hear the helicopter go down this morn. Good insulation, I guess.

i .. I HATE IT WHEN THE RESCUERS GET HURT ! , HOPE THEY WILL ALL BE GOOD IN TIME & RETURN TO WHAT THEY DO ! .. WE NEED THEM ! .. :punk:

That's terrible. This is why I would never fly small puddle choppers/helicopters. The planes aren't maintained as well and most of the pilots lack the necessary skills.

Hahaha Markie. You would of loved being in a 58 with the people I flew with. I only almost slid into a foothill once, down at Ft. Chaffee, AR. I rode with a younger pilot most of the time. I called him Duane the bathtub Smiddy. We had a bad batch of spur gears go thru the system once, so we couldn't do noe. That's when we invented fast hovering.
Went back to the old unit six yrs ago to support exercises, picking up downed pilots. They have 60's now and still drive hard. Rode with a LT that had those rotors five foot off the ground at times at around 120+ knots. You'd eat it up. They are maintained a bit better than the ones you were talk'n about. I did see three birds go down hard while at this place. Two were human eers and one was mechanical. Nothing the sheet metalist didn't pound out down in Corpus.

I'll add one more thing I found out. One of the two engines went out. Don't know what effect this would have on this French built helicopter.

Sucks. Hope the occupants make it. We had one go down here a few years back as it took off from the roof of the hospital. Went off the side of the building, all the way down to the ground. Pilot error, and unfortunately he did not survive.

We had one crash on a hospital roof downtown a few years ago, pilot error awas the cause as he hit one of the many antennas mounted nearby.............fortunantly there were no fatalities or fire but a bunch of fuel did leak down a few floors............Could have been much worse!

They hauled out the wreck the other day and have another on the pad today. Haven't received any news on the crew.

Finally received some correct info and have a good hypothesis what happened. The old bird had 1 eng, not 2. Our local media is great.:whistlin: Catching a bit here and there, the bird got up across the street to 200' when the eng quit. The pilot banked around to the left over the highway and realigned towards the pad. He used too much power that was left in the rotor lift, too soon. The last 50', no lift left. Hindsight, I know, he should of dropped on the blacktop, rarely traveled, between the original chopper position of when the eng died and the highway. I understand he was freaking when the eng quit.

Attachments

• new chopper.jpg
    new chopper.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back