Misfire issue solved Thanks All

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleDeth

Reaction score
OK I cannot really say solved with a 100% due to rain, but I know it is.

Well I have had the idea in my head that its caused by a short and not the carbs, and that's thanks to you all for the tips! Well earlier in the day I happen to spot some wires that were taped up and to me looked suspicious. So while I was riding and it was missing out I reached down to move them around to see if anything would change. Well I got burnt!

When I got home I tore the tape off and sure enough the tape had melted away from the connectors. So after it heated up the tape would get soft and well you know the rest.

What wires you ask? Three white wires... yep they go to A.C. Magneto/Pick up coil.

Like I said I haven't rode it yet, but you think that might be the issue?

Sounds most likely the culprit. You might want to consider sodering them and shrink tubing if you haven't already and remove the connector that was there completely....some people do..............glad it's resolved.......

Yep, sounds like the problem. As above said. Solder, and heat shrink the wires

ok ok I was wrong sum what. That did not solve the issue, although it did solve the popping.

The bike still was missing out, it seamed like the choke was on, only after it warmed up. Last night I thought it was going to send me walking, so enough was enough. The good news is that I really did solve it this time! knock on wood. I put 80 miles on it today and not one problem.

I took it for a ride till it started doing its thing. Then proceed checking for spark on all cylinders and #3 was weak and erratic. Turns out that the plug wire wasn't inserted all the way into the coil, around 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch gap from the needle in the coil. The hollow spot in the wire where the needle should have been had filled with green corrosion! So I used a sewing needle and picked out what corrosion I could and slid the O ring back, put her all back together. Running great now!

That is a common occurrence. People usually trim the end of the wire back to good copper (instead of cleaning out the small hole) and re-insert. Usually less than 1/4" needs to be trimmed. You might want to check all the connections. Glad you are running again.. :biglaugh:

You should trim 1/8 to 1/4 to all four wires including where they screw into the plug caps like m-cman suggested . The front ones will be a PITA though.

Trimming them is actually a good idea! I was just going to replace them. I might just go ahead and trim them and postpone buying new ones.

You can buy new wire at the auto parts store for a few dollars. Its just copper core, nothing special. Boots can be taken apart, cleaned, and reused.

Latest posts

Back