Mixture Screw Setting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVAVMAX

Reaction score
If I want to make sure the settings on the mixture screws are correct, how many turns out should they be? I want to make sure they are correct, since I messed with them the stumbling and crappy performance has become worse :bang head:. Thank you in advance.

Do this:

1) Set one at a time.
2) Slowly turn in until mixture screws seats. The engine tone should have changed. If not, that could mean your idle is too high, too high float level, out of sync.
3) Slowly turn screw out until engine tone recovers. Turn an additional 1/4 - 1/2 turn.
4) Go back to step one and do the next carb.

Do this:

1) Set one at a time.
2) Slowly turn in until mixture screws seats. The engine tone should have changed. If not, that could mean your idle is too high, too high float level, out of sync.
3) Slowly turn screw out until engine tone recovers. Turn an additional 1/4 - 1/2 turn.
4) Go back to step one and do the next carb.

I'll try that.. Not sure what the correct tone should be though, I haven't heard another Max run.. I'm sure I will be able to tell if she is running right though. Thank you for the info! I do notice a popping sound at idle, I would imagine if I can get that to go away it should help a bit?

Popping could be many things. Exhaust leak, bad boots, bad ignition/plug, mixture screw problem, stuck choke plunger, float level out of spec,dirty pilot circuit, out of sync.

Popping could be many things. Exhaust leak, bad boots, bad ignition/plug, mixture screw problem, stuck choke plunger, float level out of spec,dirty pilot circuit, out of sync.

You haaaaad to go and list ALL of that! lol Well I hope the mixture screws are the problem! It runs like crap when it heats up to, I hope they are related issues!

FWIW - I set all mine at 2 1/2 turns out & then synced from there - that's not saying that 2 1/2 turns will be perfect on all bikes , but it should at least get you in the ballpark to start with.

FWIW - I set all mine at 2 1/2 turns out & then synced from there - that's not saying that 2 1/2 turns will be perfect on all bikes , but it should at least get you in the ballpark to start with.

I'll try that, I know that for the most part there is a standard place to start then you work form there. 2-1/2 turns is where I will start. Thanks for all of the info!

Latest posts

Back