Motorcycle jack on 98 with center stand?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB

Reaction score
Had my 98 up on the center stand and rear wheel off ground nicely. Front wheel however was not totally off the ground (lightly touching but I could turn wheel fully left to right). I'm going to be doing steering head bearings and fork oil/seals and new front tire soon. Can I use a traditional motorcycle lift instead of the centerstand? Will a scissor lift under the engine be safe and not damage anything?

Thanks

Scissor lift is fine. May want to strategically place some wood blocks to makes sure its sturdy.

I used to put it up on the centerstand then put jack stands under the case guards to hold the front end up in the air. Works great for front end service.

Attachments

• 2012-06-04_23-01-06_950.jpg
    2012-06-04_23-01-06_950.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 19
Yeah, the case-savers as a point will work.

I usually just use a short scab 2x4 under the front of the engine case, and a small floor jack to raise the front-end, if it's on the centerstand. DO NOT jack at the oil filter canister/housing! While it may work, you could destroy a case in a worst-case scenario.

Reactions: SDB
I have a frame lift adapter I bought/used on my 2002 Royal Star Venture.... I'll have to dig that thing out as well as the hockey pucks (2 with some material cut off) I used for my 1998 RSTC.... maybe those will be helpful. Doing tires, fork service, steering head bearing greasing, and drives shaft greasing soon.

Back