Motorcyclist mag and ZX14R

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score
I got the lated edition of motorcyclist magazine in today, nice article and cover story on the ZX14R.

"Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R: A Vulgar Display of Power."

195bhp and a chain stretching 114.41 lb.-ft of torque. Not even Yamaha's 1679cc, 109lb.-ft Star Vmax can match that.

It goes on how comfortable and refined it is, even said it rivals the Concours 14 and mentioned It handles like a bike 100lbs less weight. They went on to say Ricky Gadson dropped two teeth on the rear sprocket and lowered the bike, then he ran 9.31 @ 151mph.

My favorite line was at the end.

Suzuki's Hayabusa is dead, Long live Kawasaki's ZX14R - the new undisputed quarter-mile king

lol next someone will come out with something that has little more hp, lb.-ft of torque, a few more mph faster and blah blah blah
When they get something that pours out over 1000hp, 900 lb.-ft, weighs less than 500 pds that you can hold on to and really ride. I will line to see it lol. Better than that I want a one of those bikes from return of the jedi movie, who would not want one of those. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goYs047SoGE

Last edited:
There's rumors floating around about a supercharged version. Kawi's had Eaton blowers in their jetskis for a few years now, and apparently there was a patent drawing for a compact supercharger for motorcycle use that got out, think it was on the Kneeslider a while ago.

I'm sure in 1985 people said that the Vmax was waaaaay more power than anyone needed in a motorcycle, and now 115rwhp is nothing special.

But now....bikes that can top 200mph and get there in a few seconds....motorcycles are reaching the limits of human ability. Short of all out drag bikes, it's virtually impossible to use that much power for an everyday rider, even for the most hooligan of riders. Bikes like this run to their 185mph limiters with barely breaking a sweat.

It'll keep escalating to the point where even the most hardcore speed junkies have a bike that scares them and has more power than they can use, and then there will be nobody left to buy the "new and faster" version next year. It won't be profitable, and the power bubble will burst.

The ZX-14R does 0 to 100 in 4.8 sec. crazy

And with 192 RWHP the Kawi makes my 117 RWHP Max look kinda tame.

Back