'Motorcyclist' prefers Diavel to VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
They call the Diavel, "the 'Game Changer.'" Sept. '11.

"Cycle World" names the Diavel the "Best Cruiser." Same month.

Because of its lighter weight, I am sure the Italian will handle better. However, I have only seen one article in print that said the Diavel was quicker.
thumbnail.aspx

I still prefer the old school muscle car kind of styling. And i think that's something the vmax can give you over any other bike.

That's a tough choice, I'd like either one but you gotta hand it to Ducati they went dead at the Vmax with the Diavel. I especially like the modern touch screen controls and who wouldn't love the weight difference but for all out asphalt ripping power you still gotta love our beloved Vmax

---
- Sent from my iPhone 4

I just don't think I am ever gonna spend $20K on a new bike, or even $14K on a used Gen. II so what I have is gonna have to suffice. I get enough guff over $ spent now, to get running/keep running my fleet, much less making payments for 6 years!

It's too-bad that Yamaha cannot keep the weight down to the 500 lb. range & still have a 160 rearwheel h.p. ride for us. I guess all the extra weight is cheap strength instead of high-tech composites & aluminum/magnesium/TI components. They can do it for the literbikes though, & they are much-cheaper than the Gen. II!

I believe that Yamaha's intent with the Gen 2 was to take advantage of the cult status of the Gen 1 and create a "status" bike. From what I have been told Yamaha has never thought that they would sell high numbers of the Gen 2 and that they produced it just to showcase the technology. All in all I prefer the Vmax over the Diavel, but if I had my choice I would take both:punk:

Yeah well for $20K out the door they probably aren't! Guess they are taking a page from the H-D strategy book & keeping pricing high & production just enough to meet demand. When you look at the BMW S1000 for much less than the VMax G-II you have to wonder about tuning-fork greediness.

Yeah well for $20K out the door they probably aren't! Guess they are taking a page from the H-D strategy book & keeping pricing high & production just enough to meet demand. When you look at the BMW S1000 for much less than the VMax G-II you have to wonder about tuning-fork greediness.
I would be willing to bet that Japan indeed tried to emulate the HD price strategy. I also bet they DO NOT really understand the demographics of the V-Max cult. I remember reading an article where they referenced studying what the market wanted, and I had to laugh as it is quite simple: Tough looks, high performance, affordable. End of story, no research needed. Our culture remains largely misunderstood to the Japanese oftentimes.
As cool as the gen 2 is, I will never buy one due to price, weight, and performance because it falls short in all of those categories. I was excited when I learned they were going to do it again until I heard what the bike weighed. I would rather ante up for a rocket that was faster and cost/weighed less.
To each there own.....

I rode a Diavel.................................I hated it! when I sell enough MAXGASSER'S I'll have a gen two!

Apples and oranges...Elvis or the Beatles...Diavel or VMax...:confused2:

I dunno, I'd call this one a granny smith and macintosh....the Diavel was clearly created to be a direct competitor to the gen 2. They're pretty close. They're in that same in-between muscle-standard-cruiser "class". From what I've heard they're pretty close performance wise.

If the gen 2 was 1/2 it's current price, I'd consider it. $20k? Not even close. For $9500 out-the-door, I can get a brand new Kawi Z1000 that's much lighter, handles like a sportbike, comfortable all day, goes 150 miles on a tank(instead of 80), and still get speed that puts my gen 1 to shame big time.

The "legacy" of the gen 1 was that it was the fastest, most bad-ass thing out there, at a price most people could afford. The gen 2 is beyond most average riders price wise, and it just isn't competitive. It's really fast, but so are a lot of other bikes that cost a lot less and are more practical. Sorry...I just don't see it.

what was the gen 1's price throughout the years (or even in '85) compared to the gen II's price today taking into account inflation?

There is an article in the VBoost magazine that has the purchase price of a Vmax in 1985 at $5395, and another article by Bill Linton that said he bought his 1998 Vmax for $10,499.

Using this calculator http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

$5395 in 1985 would be $10,784 in 2010,

$10,499 from 1998 would be $13,973 in 2010, and

$20,000 from 2010 would be $10,005 in 1985, so it looks like the cost of inflation doubled prices in 25 years. I wonder if $5395 was considered "expensive" for a bike in 1985 though? I turned 16 that summer and was looking at camaros and trans ams in the $3,000 to $5,000 range then.

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

$5,395 (1985)=$11,317 (2011)
$10,499 (1998)=$14,539 (2011)
$9,534 (1985)=$20,000 (2011)
based on the government's Consumer Price Index

In the spirit of the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk which was the mainstay of General Claire Chennault's Flying Tigers which protected the Burma Road in SE Asia against Japanese military incursions before and during the time the USA was in WW II:
P10100121.JPG

Generation II tribute design. I think it looks badass! " Whaddya think, "SpecOps13?"

There is an article in the VBoost magazine that has the purchase price of a Vmax in 1985 at $5395, and another article by Bill Linton that said he bought his 1998 Vmax for $10,499.

Using this calculator http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

$5395 in 1985 would be $10,784 in 2010,

$10,499 from 1998 would be $13,973 in 2010, and

$20,000 from 2010 would be $10,005 in 1985, so it looks like the cost of inflation doubled prices in 25 years. I wonder if $5395 was considered "expensive" for a bike in 1985 though? I turned 16 that summer and was looking at camaros and trans ams in the $3,000 to $5,000 range then.

so its not even comparable. fuck could you imagine if yamaha tried to sell the gen 1 at $10k in 1985? probably be in the same boat they are now with the gen 2. its really out of the every day persons price range. if i had $20k to spend on a bike, i'd probably get 2-3.

another interesting point was that in '08 i believe i saw a left over '07 on the dealer floor for $7500!

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

$5,395 (1985)=$11,317 (2011)
$10,499 (1998)=$14,539 (2011)
$9,534 (1985)=$20,000 (2011)
based on the government's Consumer Price Index

In the spirit of the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk which was the mainstay of General Claire Chennault's Flying Tigers which protected the Burma Road in SE Asia against Japanese military incursions before and during the time the USA was in WW II:
P10100121.JPG

Generation II tribute design. I think it looks badass! " Whaddya think, "SpecOps13?"

Incredible!

The Max was considered expensive when it came out. I bought a new Suzuki GS1150 in 1985. Paid $4200 out the door which included two Shoei helmets, shop manual, case guards and TT&L. Tax alone was 6.25% at the time. Base price of the GS was less than $3600. It was discounted from list though.

Latest posts

Back