Much needed help from you carb experts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eman3849

Reaction score
I have been having some serious running issues with my 05 lately. I have COP's, stage 1 kit, and K&N filter with the tunnel removed from the top of the airbox. No other engine mods. My bike had been sitting dormant for a couple of months during the heat wave called Phoenix and when I started it a couple of weeks ago it wouldn't even idle off the choke and when I would give it gas it would bog and die. So I performed the good old shotgun routine (I am a pro at this by now) and it ran good afterwards. A week later I went to ride the bike and once again it ran like crap. This time I completely disassembled the carbs to include the jet blocks and cleaned it all out thoroughly. Once I put it back together and tuned it, it ran fine. This moning I decided to ride to work and once again it ran like crap. It would sputter, pop, and basically run like it was extremely lean. If I put the choke partially on while riding down the highway, there would be an instant response and it would run much better, however, the rpm's would stay around 4k. This sucks having to keep messing with this bike. I am at wits end. Could it be anything other than fuel? The fuel system is clean and I have fresh gas with Seafoam added as well. Any wisdom you can share would be much appreciated.

Well, far from an expert but if it runs better after cleaning then they're still getting dirty. Drain the bowls in a glass jar, maybe some smutz coming from the tank. What's the condition of the fuel lines & filter?

The fuel filter and lines are good. The tank is clean. When I drain the bowls there is no sediment. As a matter of fact, I thought about that and drained the whole tank via the pump and there was no sediment either. If it were a clogged filter wouldn't that effect the top end more than the bottom end, as it runs good on the top when accelerating.

Sounds to me like paj1, PAJ2, the main fuel jet or the tube with the little holes in it are still getting something stuck in them.

Double check and verify tank and filter condition and then a complete 100% tear down, thorough soaking, blowout with carb cleaner aerosol all ports and passages, meticulous reassembly.

I'm just guessing tho, it's what I do.....

Not an expert either, just a grease monkey.Make sure the K&N filter top is sealing tight to the lid. I've had them leak air by there and had to seal it. Ditch the fuel filter to eliminate the possibillity.Cut the filter apart to see what's in it if anything.
Or,I'm thinking debris from the tank is screwing up the carbs. The pump won't get all the crap out. I'd pull the tank to clean it really well and inspect it. Check the sides of the tank for corrosion again, the top inside, where you can't see when it's in the bike. Maybe reline it while it's out. Take the sender out to look at the top inside of the tank. Two month old gas would be an issue if not stabilized. Make sure the screens are clean at the carb. inlets.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Also check and make sure the o rings on the air fuel screws aren't out of place, they can easily be plugging the passage as well if they come off the needle tip before its seated. I found that if you can't really tell when the screws all the way in its cause your smushing the out of place o ring. Properly seated they have a definite "stop" to them.
O ring on the diaphragm cover as well.
Synch really matters at idle too.
All the jets in the right place.
Float levels correct.
Rubber plugs on the jet block.

I'm just brainstorming the different ways I've gone wrong myself.

Oh, and one more!

I overdosed my bike on techron and it completely disintegrated the filter paper, but it was very evident by the crap in the bowls. I cut the filter open and it was pure mush.

Also check and make sure the o rings on the air fuel screws aren't out of place, they can easily be plugging the passage as well if the come of the needle tip before its seated.
O ring on the diaphragm cover as well.
Synch really matters at idle too.
All the jets in the right place.
Float levels correct.
Rubber plugs on the jet block.

I'm just brainstorming the different ways I've gone wrong myself.

Oh, and one more!

I overdosed my bike on techron and it completely disintegrated the filter paper, but it was very evident by the crap in the bowls. I cut the filter open and it was pure mush.

Wow, I had no idea! Never been one to follow directions much....if a little's good then a whole shitload must be great!! :biglaugh:

Wow, I had no idea! Never been one to follow directions much....if a little's good then a whole shitload must be great!! :biglaugh:

And I feel pretty sure about that cause I had the carbs apart several times less than 3-4 days and 15-30 miles earlier while trying to find the right tune for this motor, doing the techron during that time, bout 2/3rds bottle which I think is good for 20 gallons. The fuel filter had about 200 miles on it.
The bowls were pristine the first couple of times, after the techron they were shitted up pretty good.

I still think techron is way better than seafoam, just need to follow directions!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I ended up dropping the bike off at a local shop so they can try to figure it out. Let's see what they can come up with besides a big bill. I will keep you posted as to the results.

Sounds like intake boots may be leaking. I had a similar problem with mine. I ended up having to change the carb boots, vboost manifold boots and intake runner o-rings. It doesn't take much of a leak to cause a real problem with the idle mixture. You can use an UNLIT propane torch or aerosol carb cleaner/brake cleaner or starting fluid to help diagnose and find the leaks. Sometimes the carbs can be a real PITA to get seated properly. A little gas or motor oil on the boots will help the seat more easily. I realize this advice is a little late, but hopefully it will help anyway. Good luck!

Back