My bike will not go into gear! help pls

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxflame

Reaction score
I started by bike today and I lost all my gears. There is no friction when I let the clutch out and the bike does not pull. I can feel each gear click thru, but I get nothing in all gears. I don't know what is up and I never had this problem before. Please any help asap would be greatly appreciated.

so its sounds like clutch is staying on or stuck . if you turn bike off and put into a gear can you move the bike around the garage or its actually in gear? when was last ride and oil change?

Could be as simple as the afore mentioned clutch. OR, could be broken driveshaft (which is easy but you would have known when you did it).

so its sounds like clutch is staying on or stuck . if you turn bike off and put into a gear can you move the bike around the garage or its actually in gear? when was last ride and oil change?

i can move the bike around the garage with ease with the bike off and in all gears.
there is VERY minimal pull with the bike on at idle, in first gear, and the clutch all the way out
i am able to shift thru all gears without using the clutch. neutral light does appear when in neutral.
the last time i rode the bike was about 2 weeks ago and my last oil change was about 500 mi ago

Should not have been long enough to have the plates glue together (which is common when the bike sits for a very long time). May need to open the clutch cover and look at what you have going on in there.

Should not have been long enough to have the plates glue together (which is common when the bike sits for a very long time). May need to open the clutch cover and look at what you have going on in there.

you mentioned "if it was a broken drive shaft you would know it," may be silly, but is there a way i can diagnose a broken drive shaft. I am assuming I would hear a crack or loud noise, but I don't ever recall hearing this
thanks

ya would would have known if it broke when you put it away, noise or clunks etc.

take seans advise and open up the clutch cover and take a peak in there, something is gone wrong in there.

not sure if it sounds like basket in there broke or sheared off some how..... a few bolts and the cover is off, let us know what you find in there.

thanks for the help guys. should i replace the cover gasket when i take the clutch cover off? i assume this is yes, but I don't have any and it will need to be on order. would i be ok to take the cover off and use the same gasket for re assembly? i am about to take the cover off, it is kinda stuck, just want to be sure.

i took the cover off and there are metal filings and "shards" -ill get some pics, going in for further inspection

Last edited:
thanks for the help guys. should i replace the cover gasket when i take the clutch cover off? i assume this is yes, but I don't have any and it will need to be on order. would i be ok to take the cover off and use the same gasket for re assembly? i am about to take the cover off, it is kinda stuck, just want to be sure.

i took the cover off and there are metal filings and "shards" -ill get some pics, going in for further inspection
I just rebiuilt my clucth a few days ago.
I had shavings (friction plate material) in there too.
I knew I screwed the clutch up during a Massive Burnout but the rebuild was extremey simple.
I sanded all the metal clucth plates with 220 Sand paper and install all new Friction plates and my Max is running like new again ! Here's teh guide I used (minus the extra DD Mod steps):
http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/clutch.htm
For me a new Gasket was definitely necessary but some have stated they could re-use the old Gasket.

0916112154.jpg

clutch cast and what is left of the plates removed, now looking for a good alternative compared to stock, i was thinking Barnett Friction and Steel Plate Kit, any suggestions are welcome

We've got all the parts on hand including bead blasted (or new) steels (on exchange). The old gasket can be used just try and pull it off as complete as possible and leave the chunks stuck where they come off. Use silicon dabs were the gasket tears.

Sean

Avoid barnetts in my opinion (the pressure plates are fine but I don't like the frictions).

I want to thank everyone and this forum for all the help and suggestions. I also want to thank Morley's for stocking me with the parts I needed for the clutch rebuild and DD mod. I must say, I am much happier with the DD mod compared to stock. There is now "precision" when the clutch engages, something I never experienced, not even when I first got the bike new.

For someone who never entered a clutch on a motorcycle, the clutch rebuild was very simple and straight forward. There is only one issue when tightening the 6-8mm bolts that hold the spring in place. I reused the bolts I removed, but one of the bolts snapped in the clutch boss when tightened to the torque setting. I would recommend replacing ALL 6-8mm bolts prior to clutch reassemble and that is what I ended up doing. I believe the bolts became weakened when they were initially removed, therefore causing them to snap when re-tightened. The bolts are very cheap to purchase.

I have the bolts on hand as well and they can almost always be reused. I need to note that they are very brittle and only torqued just enough until they bottom out and then just a light bit of tension after that.

Sean

enjoy the dd mod. but some advice from someone who made a real mess. learn to feather the clutch between shifts, not make quick shifts. i have an 07 and at 6000 miles took out 2nd gear a week after the dd clutch mod. the reason? 2nd gear power wheelies, trying to grab lots of rubber on the 1 - 2, and exciting shifts while racing. its an excellent mod but dont beat it all the time.

peace,
evan...

I would recommend replacing ALL 6-8mm bolts prior to clutch reassemble and that is what I ended up doing.

I had a clutch bolt shear off like described above on my old Suzuki GS. I ended up buying a new clutch basket for it on Ebay rather than trying to machine the broken one out. I ended up with a lot of down time from that experience. I would recommend new bolts any time putting a clutch back together after that.

Latest posts

Back