My Day From HELL'0,,,, Documented To Make Garrett Feel Better

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
Garrett's had a very rough few days working on his Max. I just had to write this story out in an attempt to make him smile. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

The day started out alright. I went out this morning to sync the carbs on my 89. I wanted to do that because of the recent drop in main jet size from 152.5 to 147.5... I hooked the Gauges up to the lead cylinder and set all the fluid levels equal. Went through and set the carbs at 3,000 rpm. I hooked everything back up and decided to verify how the readings were with all tubes hooked up to the same cylinder and at 3,000 rpm. Oops, #4 is reading a little high. Balanced the manometer at 3k and again connected all cylinders. Got them sync'd perfect.

I wanted to check the gas so I could take a ride. Popped the gas cap and Wooooosh. Sounded like about 20 lbs of pressure. Started troubleshooting the tank vent and eventually found that the little P Hole at the tank was totally blocked. Well, I fixed the problem with a pin and this explains a lot of strange things that have been going on like a carb overflowing, out of the blue. I've been fighting with all sorts of fuel problems since I started working on this bike. I should have known something was wrong with the vent. When I fill the 94, I can get the level to the top and wait a few seconds, then put in more gas. I can do this about 10 times. It gives some extra range. That is with the tank vent working the way it should. On this 89, when I filled it, the first full level was all she wrote. I just figured it was a difference between the 2 bikes. Something that had been changed in the 5 years between them. Not.:bang head:

All of this ate up the time I had so I put the ride off until just before supper. I got the bike out about 10 miles and it started running like crap. I'd checked the battery just before going and it read 12.12 Volts. I figured a little spirited riding and it would come right up. When it started missing, I really didn't know what the problem was. Anyway, I started toward home. My phone was on vibrate and it went off about 5 miles out. When I stopped to check the message it was a friend with an emergency. He need some breathing medication that he'd run out of and in desperation had called me to see if I possibly had what he needed. Stupid me, Shut the bike down to hear better rather than walking away and leaving the bike idle. Big mistake.. Turns out I don't use what he needed and when I hit the starter button, it took about 3 seconds for the bike to get over the first compression stroke.

Called a friend, the one who had been at the dealer with me yesterday. But he didn't answer. Called his GF and no answer. So called my Wife, jumper battery is in her truck. When she got there, the jumper battery was also low. I charged it about a month ago and we've had some nights in the 30's. Called another friend who has an enclosed bike trailer. He also lost a leg in a bike wreck years ago. He told me the bike trailer is full of crap but he's on the way. I'm seeing 3 decrepit cripples trying to push start the now very cold engine of a VMax.. Not a Pretty Picture.

When he arrived, he and my wife pushed the bike about 10 feet and yelled at me to do the second gear bump start. The bike farted once. Just happens that a couple teenage boys are walking by so my friend asks them to give us a hand. They were more than willing to help out just to hear the bike running. This time the bike started and I blipped the throttle to keep it that way. It's running like dog crap at a steady speed so I blasted off for home with my wife in her truck and my friend in his way behind. I made it home by keeping the engine above 3,000 rpm. I think below that there wasn't enough voltage to feed the ignition, making it run rough.

Anyway, I made it home and killed the engine in the driveway. Just another verification that I picked the right name for this $%#@* bike, SkullDuggery Lives up to it's name once again....

fuck man that sucks! i woulda come given you a push start! as coprunner once said 'i look like i work out'! hahah

Garrett, Just wanted you to feel the company of my misery too...
I wish you all the good luck you need to get your VMax fixed.:biglaugh:

BTW, the battery measured 11.66 seconds after I got home. Just had
to grab a meter from the garage to check it...

Garrett, Just wanted you to feel the company of my misery too...
I wish you all the good luck you need to get your VMax fixed.:biglaugh:

BTW, the battery measured 11.66 seconds after I got home. Just had
to grab a meter from the garage to check it...
You could have called my emty trailer has been hooked to my truck for the last 2 days. I could have left the tile guys here for a bit. I have a good stator here if needed & you know I have all the gaskets. & stuff.

Kyle, that shows the kind of person you are... I was a good 20 miles from you. The charging system is good, The battery is Toast. Gonna buy an Odyssey today....

Thank You Very Much For The Offer Of Help...:biglaugh: I may really need you someday. I'll save that for when all my closer (location wise) friends let me down...

See if the new battery helps, but I suspect there might be an issue in your charging since you said the bike started fine initially, and after riding for a bit started to misfire(weak spark) and then wouldn't start. The power that was there when you started your ride didn't leak out onto the pavement, something used it without putting it back. I'd definitely re-check the voltages with the new battery, since from my experience Odyssey batteries are so good they can "mask" marginal systems....somehow my bike ran with no more than 12.5 volts for months and I didn't even know it.

My '97 needed a new R/R(used one off a ZX14....similar to the R1 mod, but it doesn't have the huge fins and fits perfectly where the rear coils used to be), and a new stator(got one from Rick's Electric) before the charging system finally worked as it should.

Kyle, that shows the kind of person you are... I was a good 20 miles from you. The charging system is good, The battery is Toast. Gonna buy an Odyssey today....

Thank You Very Much For The Offer Of Help...:biglaugh: I may really need you someday. I'll save that for when all my closer (location wise) friends let me down...
Whats 20 miles for a fellow Vmax'r & friend My little trucks get a wopping 11 miles to the gallon any way:rofl_200:

that sucks, hope the battery cures it. Look at it this way, it could have happened on a ride during bikeweek. That same thing happened to me riding my '89 in bumper to bumper traffic in fort myers. It backfired and quit, wouldn't start. Called my buddy back home. He said pull those two tail/brake (1157) lights out, disconnect the headlight then jump start it in 2nd. It started, drove it back to the motel. Next day I bought those led replacement bulbs for 1157. Never had any more charging problems. constant stop and go in heavy traffic. kills the battery

Good luck

Ron

I've suspected this battery was going bad for some time. I have the bike in such a state of tune right now that it can start after the initial compression stroke if that doesn't take 3 seconds to accomplish. It started that way when I started the ride and I believe one cell started to die during the ride. Once we got the bike push started. it ran fine as long as I kept the revs up so I don't suspect the charging system. If that were the case the voltage would have been too low to start and run. As I mentioned the battery has been slowly loosing changeability since I started working on this bike months ago. I still haven't decided to keep it it when completed. Now that I'm putting a $160.00 Odyssey Battery in, Oh Well... Guess I have to keep it. Still have to come to an understanding with the bike that this Devious, Unscrupulous, Bad Timing failure crap has to end.....:rofl_200:

I need some of those bulbs that you mentioned rons09 where do I get them....

Thanks...

I've suspected this battery was going bad for some time. I have the bike in such a state of tune right now that it can start after the initial compression stroke if that doesn't take 3 seconds to accomplish. It started that way when I started the ride and I believe one cell started to die during the ride. Once we got the bike push started. it ran fine as long as I kept the revs up so I don't suspect the charging system. If that were the case the voltage would have been too low to start and run. As I mentioned the battery has been slowly loosing changeability since I started working on this bike months ago. I still haven't decided to keep it it when completed. Now that I'm putting a $160.00 Odyssey Battery in, Oh Well... Guess I have to keep it. Still have to come to an understanding with the bike that this Devious, Unscrupulous, Bad Timing failure crap has to end.....:rofl_200:

Thanks...
Living up to 'er named for sure, hope a battery resolves this issue. BTW, I found a better price on the --> Odyssey PC680 $107 + about $15 shipping <-- from: http://www.portablepower.com/index.php?main_page=shopping_cart

Last edited:
It's been awhile Dave, but I'm pretty sure it was Advantage auto or Auto Zone. The bulbs have the same brass double contacts as a 1157. There's alot of draw with two of those on as you sit there in backed up traffic. The LED replacement bulbs hardly draw anything and they look like snake eyes inside your tail light. I'll try to see if I still have one in the garage and send you a pic of what they look like.

Ron

this is what the bulb looks like.

Ron

Attachments

• grab bar.jpg
    grab bar.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 5

Thanks...[/QUOTE]
If advance or autozone does not have them I can get them from my suppliers Tucker Rocky & Parts Unlimited has them. There are a few diffrent choices to.

Wow, those bulbs are really Cool / Awesome. I need a bucket full for all the bikes.... Thanx for the info and the picture....

Hey Dave, check out the battery thread in the stickeys. Sean posted how to enlarge the battery box to accept a larger battery easily available at Sears, Autozone, where-ever. I believe that size battery has a lot more CCA. I did that mod to my bike & I swear I could jump start my F150 from my Vmax now. Price is much better as well. I also ran an overlay wire from my rr to my batt+ to get the most out of my charging system. just sayin'...

Thanks Rich, I've got a 3 YO Odyssey in my 94 and it spins it up like it's a small outboard motor. I've soldered the wires coming from the RR and the ones at the battery. It sure couldn't hurt to go double on some wires though..

I'll have to check out your mod and battery...

Back