My First Ride

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moperformance

Reaction score
Rode my 85 vmax for the first time!! When I found the bike she had been sitting for the last 9 years in a mans garage that his son recieved after his dad passed from cancer. I've had to learn about rebuilding the carbs, derusting and sealing the gas tank. and the usual stuff after sitting all of these years. It's taken almost 3 months to do it right and it paid off yesterday. When I got on the interstate and shifted the gears some where between "Jesus Christ" and "Oh my god". The speedometer said 130 and climbing.
This was my first ride on a Vmax so I think you can relate! Simply unbelievable.
th_image003.gif

Again thanks to all! I couldn't have done it with out this site.
Bill

Rode my 85 vmax for the first time!! When I found the bike she had been sitting for the last 9 years in a mans garage that his son recieved after his dad passed from cancer. I've had to learn about rebuilding the carbs, derusting and sealing the gas tank. and the usual stuff after sitting all of these years. It's taken almost 3 months to do it right and it paid off yesterday. When I got on the interstate and shifted the gears some where between "Jesus Christ" and "Oh my god". The speedometer said 130 and climbing.
This was my first ride on a Vmax so I think you can relate! Simply unbelievable.
th_image003.gif

Again thanks to all! I couldn't have done it with out this site.
Bill

Please,

Do a major brake up-grade, you need no more HP out of that machine,,you need great brakes, talk to Morley!!

O

Ouches is right!!!
A brake up grade is in order. At a minimum-- good pads and SS lines. I like "Speedbleaders" as they make bleeding and changing brake fluid a snap.
Lew

Bill,

Awesome to hear! I too am waiting for my first ride...the weather here in IA is still horrible. Unfortunately wonderful machines such as the VMax sit for many years untouched...it takes a true enthusiast such as yourself to get them going again. :rocket bike:

Me Third!

On my third ride I was running with some friends when I scared myself to sanity. We where in a high speed sweeper when an RV that had been on the side of the road pulled out in front of us. Since this isn't a place you usually find parked cars we were cruising at 130mph. As soon as we saw the back of that RV we all nailed the brakes- they all disappeared, I got very imminent with the spare tire on that RV. I didn't match speeds with the RV until I was less then 10 feet from it. Even the Goldwing was able to stop well short of me!

Do the brakes.

I think the thing to do is to just upgrade the front-end to the 1993+ 43 mm from your stock 41 mm. Then you can use the Yamaha R1 100 mm spacing calipers, which are plentiful and cheap, much-cheaper than the Suzuki caliper adapter kit that people use for their '85-'92 front ends. Sure you can get great brakes but you're still stuck w/the crummy 41 mm OEM forks. Don't waste your $$ going Progressive Suspension springs & cartridge emulators, UFO forkbrace, GSXR/Hyabusa calipers & adapters on those spindly forks. Spend it on the '93+ & you will see a noticeable difference, and you don't need to spend the extra $$ for the adapters for the Suzuki calipers. But, it's your $$, I just think you'll be disappointed for the $$$ you will spend. Especially if you take a ride on a late-model fork w/springs, cartridge emulators, and R1 or later FZR1000 6-piston calipers, w/SS lines. Yes, you need to spring for top & bottom triple trees, downtubes and sliders, but take your time and you can do it cheaply. These pics are not necessarily for your bike as I don't know the dimensions of what is shown, but you can find complete braking systems and maybe even a complete front end to swap-on.
a20791b1258ea834c5f8ad_m.JPG
brakekit.jpg

Now, for another suggestion, if this bike "has been off-the-road for nine years," despite your ministrations to revive the bike, it would probably be a prudent thing to do as-far as your family is concerned, to put a few rides of increasingly-extensive use before you go-out and pull the trigger on your bike. You may be able to outrun the Hounds of Hell with your riding experience, but is it such a big-deal to put the "not-used in nine years" bike through a few heat/cool cycles, where you return to the shop, and give everything a good going-over, as a visual inspection will reveal developing issues that came-about during the time you rode it? You might find a brake line has begun to weep at a banjo, or an aneurysm has popped-up (and may-be on its way to popping itself) on a flex line. How-about a weeping seal pissing fresh lubricant onto your rear tire, or leaking fork seals that "were fine when I started-out" but now failed unexpectledly because of a few hard landings after some gaping wild wheelies, dumping 10W fork oil onto both of your calipers and the rotor. Stopping from 130+mph would be a wild experience when that happens, and soccer moms and drunks aren't looking-out for you on your resurrected ride, you know. :confused2:

Three months' of anticipation, and you shut down at 130? What, no cajones?

Well, you're new. You'll get the hang of it, I'm sure. lol ,and only kidding. I think you're entitled to wear one of those "got V-boost" shirts now.

Just remember the most important part of those WOT bursts - watch out for the PoPo. 130+ mph tickets can be a real bummer.

Excellent thoughts on the brakes especially on the front end swap! This bike is like my 69 Road Runner. 440, 4 speed, 6 pack. Going around corners and stopping this side of Ga were an afterthought when I was 20. 30 years later I kind of like to stop with out constantly looking for a way out when things turn to crap. PLUS the state of Florida has finally convinced me that driving in the State of Florida is a privilege and not a right :worthy:
Thanks again everybody.
Bill

Didn't some of those early Mopar performance packages run drum front brakes? I don't care if it was the "taxicab-extreme-duty" package, you needed more stopping power than that.

Since you live in the vicinity of Speedway Blvd. and "The World's Fastest Beach," you know about speed and its dangers. I kinda think you probably gave those brakes a good going-over, before you dropped the hammer. I want to apologize for preaching about checking things out first, before you use the power of the bike, I bet you did do that. I didn't know you were 50 and given your background and vehicles, you don't get to be five-plus decades on this planet by being reckless.

I'll tell you why I tend to take that kind of attitude. Bill Brennan grew-up down the street from me. His dad was a union electrician, his wife and he were friends of my parents, and Bill and I went-through school together from kindergarten.

Jim Coleman was someone who came into our school district by the shore of Lake Ontario after Bill and I were out of elementary school. Jim and Bill and I were in-and-out of each others' classes from then, and into high school, then Jim and I played sports together, Bill went-into a vo-tech track, but we all remained friends.

Our senior year came and went, we were free to pursue our dreams. I went to college in MI and Bill bought an early first-generation Corvette, and devoted considerable time and a young man's money to getting that car operable. Jim was a willing assistant, helping him work on it whenever they could find the time, apart from working full-time. They finally got it running, and Bill and Jim hopped-into it for a shake-down run.

I heard the news from another classmate from our graduating class. "Hey, did you hear about Bill and Jim?" he asked.

"No, what's up with them?"

"That old Corvette Bill was so-devoted to fixing? They took it out for a ride, and Bill did a high-speed run down Ogden Center Rd. The brakes failed. They both were killed yesterday."

Man, I'll never forget that day.

Yes I've lost more friends then I care to think about just over stupid chit, On my Road Runner i channeled the body over a 73 gm full boxed frame. The drive train is all mopar set back 13" but I'll be the first to admit gm does make a hell of a suspension. Plus I was able to get the weight down under 3k with driver and fuel. big bad ass go cart ;D
But ya I've learned to do things right or not at all
Bill

Yes I've lost more friends then I care to think about just over stupid chit, On my Road Runner i channeled the body over a 73 gm full boxed frame. The drive train is all mopar set back 13" but I'll be the first to admit gm does make a hell of a suspension. Plus I was able to get the weight down under 3k with driver and fuel. big bad ass go cart ;D
But ya I've learned to do things right or not at all
Bill

Sounds like the old A/FX cars the factories started to run in the mid-'60's.

Back