My Vmax tipped over on me today :(

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
I'm sorry if you have seen this on Starvmax forum but I wanted to post it here as well.

Well today sucks already, I bought a motorcycle dolly that you can drive up on and then put your kick stand down and the dolly supports the bike as if it was on the ground. In a perfect world that is how it works, My plan was to get the Vmax on the dolly and then figure out where the kick stand plate on the dolly goes. As I started to get off the bike it leaned left the dolly slipped right and then the fight was on me trying to hold up the whole weight of the bike, I loss and had to slowly let it down.

I marked up a few things so am going to be spending some $$$ to fix it

I determine with the help of itgoes in the Starvmax forum that the problem with the kickstand didn't breaks the spring and bracket that holds the kickstand spring. I found a bracket and the spring on the dolly and thought I broke something. I think the kickstand might have got jammed enough to relax the spring and then the spring and bracket just fell off. I'm hoping we are right about that.

The damage I do see that I have to replace is on the left side, clutch cover?? horn, side cover 3D emblem in this picture there is something on the face of the cover it can't be damage as that didn't touch anything so it is bug guts or something.

I am wondering if instead of paying $173 for the clutch cover would that money be better invested in the upgraded covers I have seen some that have a "V4" on them. If anyone knows of a place I can look at prices of those upgraded covers ( not sure what to call them, I know they are not stock covers )

any help is appreciated. I won't be doing much for a while as I injured my knee when the bike started to tip I planted my left foot on the ground and the whole weight of the bike was on that left knee until I could get the other leg off the bike.

100% my fault, it could have been prevented easy if I did things correctly. please don't think it is the dolly's fault it will work great when it is put together properly. If my knee is messed up I won't be riding for a while anyway.. oh well I am going to drink some beer and I'll feel better cause I don't drink beer that much I don't drink at all a 12 pack would last a month in my house maybe 2. But after today I needed a beer or two... LOL

I had 3 beers and felt find for a while. Forgot to tell you when I got the other leg off the bike the hot exhaust caught my ankle so I will have a nice scar from this whole mess.

See pictures below...

Thanks

Ron

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 87
  • cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 85
  • horn.jpg
    horn.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 83
  • side_cover.jpg
    side_cover.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 85
  • spring.jpg
    spring.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 81
  • spring_2.jpg
    spring_2.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 80
Sorry you got hurt. You're probably lucky you didn't fracture a femur, or your tibia/fibula. Give yourself a chance to heal, leave the bike alone for a few days.

thanks I plan too. I am having issues walking on the knee so I will be off it for a while. The sad part is I haven't been able to ride it since I bought it on April 1, 2016 I had to wait 47 days for the release of lien and then I decided to wait until I get the plates for it rather than carry around the temp papers they give us in MN

I'm glad to hear you're relatively OK.
As for the damage, I'd sand any of the Aluminiu pieces and see how they look Before spending big $ to replace them.
My Gen 1 scoops were seriously road rashed when I bought it.
My Brother bought it new in 2000 for about $12-13K and had never ridden street bike before.
He laid it down in a 90 degree curve at about 60 mph, then called me and offered to sell it to me if I paid off the lean (about $3300).
I spent $700-800 on parts that absolutely had to be replaced.
But, I sanded the scoops with 400 then 600 then 800 (wet) and 1200 (wet) sand paper then polished them and they looked pretty darn good.
And if I had wanted to keep the brushed aluminum look I could have just clear coated them instead of polishing.
Rick Fambry on Facebook has the Bling for the engine case which may be enough to hide that defect.

Last edited:
Dennis,
Thanks would you happen to have a link for his Facebook page

Or, we can chrome the scoops. A lot of people powdercoat their covers to get rid of the brown look anyway so you could do that easily enough without spending a ton of money. I had previously offered up a clear conversion clutch cover but haven't had the time to get more made.

Or, we can chrome the scoops. A lot of people powdercoat their covers to get rid of the brown look anyway so you could do that easily enough without spending a ton of money. I had previously offered up a clear conversion clutch cover but haven't had the time to get more made.

The only damage on the scoops are the 3D emblem the scoop didn't get any damage. If you have and pic's of what you were talking about doing to the cover I would be interested in seeing some.

Thanks
Ron

As the "hamster" used to say on Top Gear------"that'll buff right out"You probably hurt you pride more than anything else-good thing you are not hurt. Chin up.

Yeah the damage is minor, my pride isn't hurt I goof when putting the dolly together so it was my fault so I just feel stupid.. I did hurt my knee and got a nasty burn on my ankle. Hurt left knee burnt right ankle.. How can I limp on 2 feet.................LOL

good chance to get rid of that stupid star emblem anyhow. powder coat the covers!

Why ? there is nothing wrong with the scoop cover. I'll have to buy things that need fixing so why waste the money to powder coat the covers.

Self inflicted boo-boo's are the worst. Glad both you and your max are not too badly injured. Get well soon and ride that bike.

Doug

good chance to get rid of that stupid star emblem anyhow. powder coat the covers!

I would have to see powder coated scoops to even consider it. After all the scoop didn't get any damage whatsoever. I have parts I need to buy so I don't see the logic to pay for powder coating the scoops when they don't need it. My money has to go to what I need first.

You don't NEED to buy anything. The damage does not affect fit, form, or function. So at this point it's what you WANT to buy simply to enhance the cosmetics.

Sean

You don't NEED to buy anything. The damage does not affect fit, form, or function. So at this point it's what you WANT to buy simply to enhance the cosmetics.

Sean

Sure I do, I want my bike in perfect condition. already orders the parts.

Like all Vmax's before it, the Gen II Vmax clutch is on the RIGHT side. That left side generator cover plate comes off w/o any gasket, and it has a rubber damper system bolted to it's backside.

Like all Vmax's before it, the Gen II Vmax clutch is on the RIGHT side. That left side generator cover plate comes off w/o any gasket, and it has a rubber damper system bolted to it's backside.

yes I realized my mistake after I posted and I ordered the correct cover and it has been installed without any problems.

yes I realized my mistake after I posted and I ordered the correct cover and it has been installed without any problems.

Ron, Ron, Ron, after owning 7 prior Vmaxes to this one, I knew you'd know. I was just funnin' with you. :biglaugh:

What did you think of your 1st real ride on that beast anyway, now that you've gotten it all back together after the little snafu? Wasn't it awesome? Share please. A ride vid would be even better. :eusa_dance:

Ron, Ron, Ron, after owning 7 prior Vmaxes to this one, I knew you'd know. I was just funnin' with you. :biglaugh:

What did you think of your 1st real ride on that beast anyway, now that you've gotten it all back together after the little snafu? Wasn't it awesome? Share please. A ride vid would be even better. :eusa_dance:

I won't fall for the same stuff you guys did to me in starvmax.com so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back