Need help in a debate

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawman504

Reaction score
Can someone please give me an explanation on all of the reasons to lower the front fork springs one inch with a Progressive springs kit? Me and an buddy are having a convo about it and he cant figure out why you wouldn't just move the forks up an inch instead of the springs kit. I have read a lot of posts on here that are scattered out throughout numerous topics but can somebody condense it down for me?

The only thing that you will get from lowering is your feet will reach the ground better if your short and it will help if your drag racing. as for springs no need to do that because it wont make a big enough differance to make it worth it. keep your money for gas and go enjoy riding your bike.

Lowering externally does not remove suspension travel. This your bike can "bounce" down farther (meaning it can get into the radiator and of course into the ground/speed bumps).

Lowering internally removes suspension travel but does not lower the height at which the bike will bottom out so the "effective" ground clearance remains.

http://www.racetech.com/html_files/LOWERING_SUSPENSION.html

How would one go about doin it so you have the same lowered amount done internally, but the fork uppers moved up still, to allow for mounting clip ons above the upper clamp? (I ask this in case the clubman bars I bought do not work out for me)

They offer fork tube extensions just for that. well, maybe I should qualify that statement. That helps with drag bars or broomsticks. if you are running Clubmans which actually angle downward, I'd think about installing new fork stops and not plan on making any tight circles.
Or just run a nasty airbox cover because you willl be banging the shit out of it.

Back