Need some assistance please

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eman3849

Reaction score
I have some running issues that I can't quite figure out. On hard acceleration, my Max is crapping out between 3000-4500 RPM. Anything prior to or after is fine with no hesitation. Could it be the gas? It is fresh, but it is from one of those convenience store pumps. Any ideas???:ummm::confused2:

how often do you use the convenient store for fillups? first time? were you running good before the fillup? temperature changes? how long had the bike been sitting prior to these observations? shotgun, peashooter, seafoam, start your engines?

how often do you use the convenient store for fillups? first time? were you running good before the fillup? temperature changes? how long had the bike been sitting prior to these observations? shotgun, peashooter, seafoam, start your engines?

I have used the store the last two fill ups. It was running good before this. I added Seafoam to the tank before this one and the results were the same, hesitation. It is getting a little warmer here but nothing significant. I ride my Max at least twice a week, so it hasn't been sitting around. I like you am assuming it is a fuel problem. I just got done installing the COPS about two hours ago, but again, it was doing this prior to although it seems as though the COPS enhanced it just a bit. Could be my imagination though.

is it idling ok? have you looked into shotgunning or peashooting it? i wonder if a little nugget of buildup has dislodged it self and is now sitting in the needle circuit.

is it idling ok? have you looked into shotgunning or peashooting it? i wonder if a little nugget of buildup has dislodged it self and is now sitting in the needle circuit.

It is idling fine and doesn't run like a circuit is clogged. It has great acceleration up to 3,000 rpm, then starts its hesitation up to 4,500, then runs fine again.

Possibly a sticky slide valve? 3000 rpm is when the bike starts to get on the needles, if one or more of them is crapped up and not sliding freely it may cause the problem described, especially if the problem suddenly started.

It's fairly easy to check, remove the faux tank, top of the airbox, and air filter. Start it up and make quick "blips" on the gas. On engine acceleration you should see all four slightly jiggle open, then shut again. If one or more don't move when you romp on it, remove that diaphragm cover, remove/inspect/clean it the valve and diaphragm, and put it back. Spritz it with some wd40 before you put it back in.

For fun and grins, be certain sure the air filter gasket is not coming apart and depositing bits/pieces down into the carbs. - that's assuming you run the stock type air filter. (I've been known to hang onto a filter too long before, and had this happen.) While you have the lid off, you might consider doing some of the pea-shooter down into PAJ1 & PAJ2 circuits with SeaFoam. Of course, be sure your diaphrams are all 4 in top condition too. - Sounds to me like it may be something in one of the needle passages, messing up the air/fuel in that midrange.

I have used the store the last two fill ups. It was running good before this. I added Seafoam to the tank before this one and the results were the same, hesitation. It is getting a little warmer here but nothing significant. I ride my Max at least twice a week, so it hasn't been sitting around. I like you am assuming it is a fuel problem. I just got done installing the COPS about two hours ago, but again, it was doing this prior to although it seems as though the COPS enhanced it just a bit. Could be my imagination though.

Did you pull the plugs when you installed the COPS ? I had a somewhat similar issue and found a cracked plug .

For fun and grins, be certain sure the air filter gasket is not coming apart and depositing bits/pieces down into the carbs. - that's assuming you run the stock type air filter. (I've been known to hang onto a filter too long before, and had this happen.) While you have the lid off, you might consider doing some of the pea-shooter down into PAJ1 & PAJ2 circuits with SeaFoam. Of course, be sure your diaphrams are all 4 in top condition too. - Sounds to me like it may be something in one of the needle passages, messing up the air/fuel in that midrange.

I poured half a can of Seafoam into the fuel before I rode to work this morning. Still doing it but not as bad. I will have to check out the carbs this weekend. I will check the slides and do the peashooter and pull the diaphrams at the same time. I am running a newer K&N filter that is in great shape. Thanks for the input.

If you are pulling the slides, do the full SHOTGUN routine in addition to peashooting some seafoam down your PAJ holes.

Just be sure not to get crazy with any pressurized carb cleaner - you can end up blowing it down the wrong ports, and cause damage to the coasting enrichener diaphrams Don't ask me how I know this. Just know that to do that is a very bad thing. :)

OK, so this weekend I did the shotgun, took off the "Y" piece on the airbox and moved the main jet needle up one notch (it was in the second groove from the tapered end). Looks like this cleared up the problem. Too rich during the period the main needle kicks in. Thanks for all the help guys.

Back