Need some wire identification

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Hymen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
In the first picture is the stock wiring from the 88. What is the white connector for, is it the kickstand switch? Also, the wiring from the 2003 motor has a white wire and a blue wire. They should hook into the 2 wires in the first picture, but the colours are green and black with a red stripe. anyone know which one goes where?
The 88 wires split off the wire harness on the side where the R/R is and 2003 wires are in the same bundle as the stator wires.

Attachments

• 1988 connectors.jpg
    1988 connectors.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 2003 wires.jpg
    2003 wires.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 18
I am pretty sure its the kickstand saftey switch connector. I had this issue when I started my bike and put it in first gear it would shut off.
Found that connector unplugged.

Dont you own a DMM (Digital Multi Meter) Just ohm it out to the switch, even though the wires should be the same color at both ends.

Do you have the VMAX service manual? You can download it free at the VMAXOUTLAW site and it has the complete wiring harness with color codes.

I agree with lankee on the connector.

As for the green and black/red wires not sure. It could be your oil sending switch since that has a black with red stripe wire. That wire should run to your diode assembly which sits near your ignitor. The only other black/red wires I see in my Clymer is going from Ignitor to pressure sensor and one that runs from vboost controller to servo motor.

I've got a hard copy of the service manual but the garage is a disaster right now so I can't find it. Plus I'm in a rush to get the bike running so I don't want to take the time to look for it. I need a French maid to clean the garage for me! :biglaugh:

maid.jpg

I was going to quote clintard but I figured we only needed to see that picture once!
I think Buster would rather have your avatar in a french maids outfit cleaning his garage......or to do any cleaning for that matter!:rofl_200:

In the first picture is the stock wiring from the 88. What is the white connector for, is it the kickstand switch? Also, the wiring from the 2003 motor has a white wire and a blue wire. They should hook into the 2 wires in the first picture, but the colours are green and black with a red stripe. anyone know which one goes where?
The 88 wires split off the wire harness on the side where the R/R is and 2003 wires are in the same bundle as the stator wires.

One will be the oil level switch and the other the neutral light. I believe the neutral light is the blue wire from the engine and the oil the white wire. Go ahead and hook them into place and then check the lights to see which one is on with the oil filled up and in neutral. If the green light is on and goes off when you put it into gear you have them right. If the red light is on and goes off when you put it in gear you have them swapped. Simple as that and pretty much the only wires on the whole bike you can mix up.

Sean Morley

Latest posts

Back