New clutch questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbie2007

Reaction score
I'm doing a clutch on my 06 right now tore it all apart pulled all the plates out of it. Now my question is on the last half a friction plate for the dd mod you'd add just a full disc in it. My plan is to use the oem clutches and a pcw spring can I still ad the plate or stick with the half one?

When doing the Double "D", the wire, clutch boss spring and spring seat are discarded. The half friction disk is replaced with a full disk.

Read this for more info on doing the DD Mod (or even a Stock Clutch Rebuild).
http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/clutch.htm

I personally left the 1/2 Friction Plate in when I rebuilt my clutch, but many people remove them (1/2 Friction Plate, Clutch Boss Spring, Seat Plate and Wire) and replace them with a Full Sized Friction plate.
It's basically your call on which you prefer.
I figured that leaving the 1/2 plate in would lessen the stress on the rest of the drive train when I really get on it.

VMax Microfiche (Clutch Assembly is on pages 26-27):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55030067/2000_VMax_Part_Numbers.pdf

Getting after it already Jarred?............I'm with Dennis on leaving the 1/2 plate in place, you will still carry the front wheel as far as you want!.........:punk:.........Tom.

Yeah that's what I'm thinkig but just wondering if there's any benifits that will change my mind. The extra stress on things doesn't really bother me to much seeing as I ride it like I stole it 99% of the time lol.

I suggest the PCW clutch kit, all the OEM Yamaha friction plates you need including the 'extra' one to replace the 1/2-plate, the PCW new diaphragm spring & a gasket, about $157 shipped. I did it about a mo. ago. You will like the clutch action! Frankly I could not tell the pull-strength being different from the stiffer diaphragm spring they give you. No need for 'Popeye' arms!
th

Alright thanks I was leaning towards that kit just wanted to hear a few opinions

Be sure & tell them you want the extra plate to replace the 1/2-plate. :punk:

From start to putting-away the tools it took < 2 hours, and I checked the engine mount bolts & header pipe nuts too.

I'd say, 'forget the DD spring mod' unless you are running a much-altered engine, or a power-adder. Your upgraded PCW spring by-inself will work just-fine, and you won't have any appreciable increase in pull-effort.

Yeah just realized ill prolly buy just the spring from them and the rest from the local shop here since I have a gift card that needs to be spent wisely haha. Now my next question is just for clarification but there is a small spring I need to remove before I can put the full disc in there?

I get how to rebuilt it and all that. I understand the dd clutch but the main questions I have is do I replace the half disc and run a pcw spring or just leave the half in there and run a pcw spring?

I get how to rebuilt it and all that. I understand the dd clutch but the main questions I have is do I replace the half disc and run a pcw spring or just leave the half in there and run a pcw spring?

You can (1) add the PCW spring by itself; you can (2) add a full friction plate after you remove the 1/2-plate & its associated hardware, and replace all the regular friction plates; you can (3) leave everything alone at the 1/2-plate & its pieces, and replace the friction plates in-front of it. Scuff the driven (bare-metal 'steelies') plates in any case.

Would you like a 17% better-performing clutch (irregardless of the new friction plates in-front of the 1/2-friction plate, and your new diaphragm spring)? Then replace the 1/2 friction disc too. :punk:

When you take it for the first ride after replacing the 1/2 friction plate, w/the PCW diaphragm spring installed, w/new friction plates, and scuffed 'steelies' and you run into VBoost, and change gears, the surge forward (I call it 'the lunge') when you release the clutch lever will tell you immediately if it was 'worth-it.' Repeat as-often as-necessary to confirm you 'first impression.' Then post on here and tell us "if it's worth-it to replace the 1/2 friction disc, the other friction discs, and the spring for the PCW spring."

I have run stock clutch and than DD and than PCW and i went back to DD. The agressive shift that fire-medic talks about is time two over the PCW. I ran 21 times in a row down the dragway and got a 11.71 a few times and at 268 pounds in gear i was running hard to get that number. I feel that the rider can bust the bike not the clutch. That being said if you beat anything long enough it will bust. Hell Todd busted two drive shafts at the drag strip with a stock clutch.

I have run stock clutch and than DD and than PCW and i went back to DD. The agressive shift that fire-medic talks about is time two over the PCW. I ran 21 times in a row down the dragway and got a 11.71 a few times and at 268 pounds in gear i was running hard to get that number. I feel that the rider can bust the bike not the clutch. That being said if you beat anything long enough it will bust. Hell Todd busted two drive shafts at the drag strip with a stock clutch.

Pretty sure he had the DD in there when he broke both of them because he was still getting used to speed shifting the bike with the beefed up clutch... I have the DD in mine too but I drag race alot and run nitrous so I need it.. If your just screwin around on the street doing burnouts and wheelies and stuff the PCW kit is fine, hell even the stock clutch in good working order is fine... If you do the DD watch your speed shifts because it's real easy to pop a driveshaft so granny shift it at first and work up to it or just install an airshifter and be done with it and help save your trans and block ;)

If you install a pcw clutch and beat on your bike it will bust the same as a dd will. A dd might beat things up a little faster. but if you guys think your going to put a pcw spring in and not bust anything your wrong. If you dont want to bust parts for a long time dont beat on your bike.

If you install a pcw clutch and beat on your bike it will bust the same as a dd will. A dd might beat things up a little faster. but if you guys think your going to put a pcw spring in and not bust anything your wrong. If you dont want to bust parts for a long time dont beat on your bike.

Agree 100% there Mike, I was just getting at what you were saying about the DD beating things up a little faster but your right, everything breaks eventually...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Back