New engine paint job

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm too much like the Weasel. I'd probably pull the suck as much as I would hate the extra work, I just know it would bug me to no end thinking of the areas I missed. I got three motors to spray and one is getting Rustoleum industrial, i guess I can try the eastwood and reserve the last one for whichever of the two came out best. Oh, and powder coated covers to hang on the cases.
Now if I can get my ass in gear! I think it has a bad first in it! LOL

let me guess the last ones yours? :rofl_200: but i wanted to but didnt want a headache without even riding it.. if you tape everything off right you dont get much over spray

How did you not get paint on the ribs of the cylinders and valve covers, if you don't mind me asking of course? Very fine job by the way. I wonder how lone it would have taken to just pull the whole engine out? The whole question about the pulling the engine is for anyone who can answer that one.

Oh, and how long did you leave the masking/painters tape on before you removed it.

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just really interested in the particular subject!!

Regards,

Robby✨

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how long it would take to pull engine out. I spayed it with a pant gun. That is all. You take the tape off ASAP before it drys.. I also cracked open all the bolts on the side one at a time after it tacked up a bit so if I ever had to to take off engine covers I wouldn't chip the paint

Me and my youngest sons buddies painted motor, lower fork tubes, swingarm, final drive ,rear foot rest, & brake calipers this weekend.

Attachments

• IMAG0069.jpg
    IMAG0069.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMAG0081.jpg
    IMAG0081.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0080.jpg
    IMAG0080.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMAG0075.jpg
    IMAG0075.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0076.jpg
    IMAG0076.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0074.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0073.jpg
    IMAG0073.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0072.jpg
    IMAG0072.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0070.jpg
    IMAG0070.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0087.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMAG0082.jpg
    IMAG0082.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0099.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0090.jpg
    IMAG0090.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0098.jpg
    IMAG0098.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0101.jpg
    IMAG0101.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0102.jpg
    IMAG0102.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 50
All covers but stator will be going out tomorrow or wed in fact!

Me and my youngest sons buddies painted motor, lower fork tubes, swingarm, final drive ,rear foot rest, & brake calipers this weekend.

Looks awesome!!! im very happy with this paint! so far 7k miles and not a chip! plus the gloss really makes the engine POP! :eusa_dance:... One question tho..... DID you use paint stripper on the engine prior? only reason i ask is because if you did paint stripper will remove all etching and you should use some self etching primer of etch the surface other wise paint will not get proper adhesion. Hope it sticks for you if you did

just on the right side with some paint stripper, some how i got brake fluid on that side and it ate it up. That why I had to paint it.

I hope it sticks for you. If it doesnts and peels away easy now you know youll have to etch the surface or buy some self etching prime. Looks good tho man

No I didn't do that. Just have to see how goes. Right now it seem to be bonded pretty good. It's been 3 day now. I'm letting it cure for a week before I do anything. Time will tell. Goes to show you, learn something new every day. Thanks for the info

Use some heat lamps and a temp gun. You want to see if you can regulate the heat around 160-180 degrees to cure the paint in. The engines we paint are done in a heated paint booth at 180 degrees.

Sean

I put heat lamps on it , but i only got to around 130- 140. It seem to be bonded pretty good. Im just waiting for a complete week just to be on safe side before I do anything

I used the Eastwood high temp ceramic paint and it worked well. It's been a year and it still looks awesome. No flakes or chips. Good Choice !!

Eastwood worked well for me!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365859377204.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365859377204.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 40
Back