New form of OCD

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's called Obsessive Carb Disorder....and I got it!! :bang head:

I've been quietly working away acquiring carburetors....V Max 35mm, Venture 35mm and Venture 34mm for my project. I've found that all these carbs work on the V Max.....obviously the V Max 35mm ones do but the Venture 35's & 34's work just as well.

I just finished installing V Max jets in some Venture 34's, mounted them on my '99 and they work great. I had PCW dyno it Tuesday, horsepower was down from 117 to 110 and torque was also down from 79 to 73. I expected the hp to be off a little but thought the torque would be the same or maybe even a little higher.

It was almost 90? in the dyno room and the bike was showing a lean condition from 6K on up so I installed some 155 mains today and feel the torque is back where I want it. These make a great V Max carb, smooth, powerful, lots of low end grunt and a nasty, loping idle that sounds really neat!

The first fairly accurate fuel run indicates about a 6% increase in fuel mileage, but that needs to be repeated several times before I can be certain.

My long range plan is to run the bodies through a carb bath, install new V Max jetting, a new rebuild kit and put them up for sale.....one set at a time.

If there's any interest in this let me know.

Attachments

• 100_2508.jpg
    100_2508.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 80
Hi......... I'm Paul.........this is my second meeting today..............yes , I'm interested. How long have you been into these carbs ? :punk:

I found out that the guy on ebay lied about the year venture carbs i bought, they are 34 mm and ran good on my vmax. I put the vmax carbs back on and it does feel stronger, have not put it on the dyno yet to compare.

This is a revolation... Cool.... But I have a spare set of VMax Carbs. :bang head: Someone will jump on this just for the extra mileage...

Hi......... I'm Paul.........this is my second meeting today..............yes , I'm interested. How long have you been into these carbs ? :punk:

"Hi Paul...well, it all started when........:rofl_200:"

I've been messing around with them since last winter....my original plan was to get some 35mm Venture carbs and re-jet them for the V Max....(other than the choke being on #1 they are identical)....but, it's very difficult to tell the difference between 34mm & 35mm carbs....some 34's I bought turned out to be 35's and vice versa. So I decided to give the 34's a try with V Max jets and, so far, it seems to be a great set-up.

I have Mark's 4 - 2, it would be interesting to see what the 34's would do with OEM pipes.

When I got back from some test runs last night I noticed that the fuel pump wouldn't shut off....apparently a bit of schmutz got under the needle valve in #3.....the offending schmutz came out the drain hose. If that occured while I was 'testing' it would severly affect the performance, so after a follow-up sync, we're ready to try it again this morning.

Hmmm, it's Friday! That means my local 'testing facility,' (some call it The Taconic State Parkway) will be over run with NYC fools & North Joisey-ites....plus a liberal sprinkling of Gendarmerie! I may have to go into stealth mode! :hihi:

I found out that the guy on ebay lied about the year venture carbs i bought, they are 34 mm and ran good on my vmax. I put the vmax carbs back on and it does feel stronger, have not put it on the dyno yet to compare.

I think some of the e bayers don't even know what they have, they just list it hoping to score a few bucks.

You could have worse habbits.....keep up the good work, Danny and skip the court-mandated self-help meetings. You got important work to do for us VMax-ites.............:punk:

The venture carbs are close and will let the bike run. The 1300 sets are the same bore size so the same power. The 1200 sets are the smaller of the two and only worth getting for maybe slides and enricher parts.

Note that the slide holes are far smaller for slower slide operation (slower throttle response).

The entire rack can be used but you will have to do something about the choke. On the venture the chock is cable actuated from the handlebar. There are no provisions on the #1 carb to mount the vmax linkage. This can be a real pain and the biggest downside to not using them. One other plus is the plated brackets and screws. These are done to try and control corrosion since the carbs are a bit more buried on the Venture.

Sean

It's called Obsessive Carb Disorder....and I got it!! :bang head:

I've been quietly working away acquiring carburetors....V Max 35mm, Venture 35mm and Venture 34mm for my project. I've found that all these carbs work on the V Max.....obviously the V Max 35mm ones do but the Venture 35's & 34's work just as well.

I just finished installing V Max jets in some Venture 34's, mounted them on my '99 and they work great. I had PCW dyno it Tuesday, horsepower was down from 117 to 110 and torque was also down from 79 to 73. I expected the hp to be off a little but thought the torque would be the same or maybe even a little higher.

It was almost 90? in the dyno room and the bike was showing a lean condition from 6K on up so I installed some 155 mains today and feel the torque is back where I want it. These make a great V Max carb, smooth, powerful, lots of low end grunt and a nasty, loping idle that sounds really neat!

The first fairly accurate fuel run indicates about a 6% increase in fuel mileage, but that needs to be repeated several times before I can be certain.

My long range plan is to run the bodies through a carb bath, install new V Max jetting, a new rebuild kit and put them up for sale.....one set at a time.

If there's any interest in this let me know.

Thanks for sharing that info Dan-o. I've been waiting patiently-not, since we talked about the carbs a week or so ago. Interesting stuff for sure. I'd say, if someone needs carbs, you're the man to see.
Steve

The venture carbs are close and will let the bike run. The 1300 sets are the same bore size so the same power. The 1200 sets are the smaller of the two and only worth getting for maybe slides and enricher parts.

Note that the slide holes are far smaller for slower slide operation (slower throttle response).

The entire rack can be used but you will have to do something about the choke. On the venture the chock is cable actuated from the handlebar. There are no provisions on the #1 carb to mount the vmax linkage. This can be a real pain and the biggest downside to not using them. One other plus is the plated brackets and screws. These are done to try and control corrosion since the carbs are a bit more buried on the Venture.

Sean

Can't agree with you there Sean, I dyno'd a set of 34mm Venture carbs at PCW on Tuesday morning and even tho it went lean at 6K it still pulled 110 hp and 72.2 ft lbs. of torque. Plus it was hotter than hell in the dyno room, probly not a great day for making power.

The choke isn't any problem, this pic, like all my pics....sucks, but I use some parts from the V Max choke set-up and it works fine. It needs to be held manually right now, but I'll get that sorted out soon.

Last night I swapped to 155 mains, installed a new gas filter and went for a 124 mile run this morning. The 34's performed flawlessly, pulled strong in any gear at any rpm.....not a hic-cup going thru towns in 3rd at 35 mph or screwing it on to pass a car at 65!

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the torque and hp numbers are nearly where they were with the v max carbs....the torque may even be a touch higher...:confused2:, but it really doesn't matter because the purpose of this whole thing was not to come up with big numbers and compete with the Morley or Stg. 7 kits but simply to see how the Venture 34mm carbs would perform on the V Max.

I went 124.3 miles and used 2.9 gal. of fuel = 42.8 mpg....granted it's only one tank but the route covered just about everything....4 lane at 65 mph, state roads at 55 and villages at 30 - 35....a fair representation of normal driving. These 34mm carbs were more than up to the task....if you are looking for a good, 'street-able' set of carbs these will not disappoint you.

One of the problems is that they are from the early - mid 80's and the 'perishable' parts like diaphrams, gaskets & o-rings are often beyond salvation so, with them also needing a complete re-jet they can be a little expensive to rebuild.

Attachments

• 100_2511.jpg
    100_2511.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 27
i HI DAN , I'M TIM ! .. IF I CAN EVER " SHAKE " MY MASTURBATION ADDICTION , I MAY SWITCH TO CARBURETORS ! .. BUT ITS GOING TO BE " HARD " :rofl_200: . MASTURBATING IS FAIRLY CHEAP ! .. :biglaugh::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Last edited:
i ALL KIDDING ASIDE , I THINK ITS A GREAT IDEA WHAT YOUR DOING DANNY , THIS WAY WHEN SOMEONE HAS OR THINKS THAT THEIR CARBURETORS ARE SCREWED UP , THEY CAN BUY A SET OFF OF YOU THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN " LIVE " ( NOT BENCH ) RUN , TUNED , AND TESTED ON A V-MAX ON THE ROAD , SO EITHER IT WILL FIX THEIR BIKE OR ELIMINATE THEM AS THE CAUSE OF THEIR PROBLEM ! . :punk:

i HI DAN , I'M TIM ! .. IF I CAN EVER SHAKE MY MASTURBATION ADDICTION , I MAY SWITCH TO CARBURETORS ! .. BUT ITS GOING TO BE " HARD " :rofl_200: . MASTURBATING IS FAIRLY CHEAP ! .. :biglaugh::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Hahaha....I remember you....didn't they order you to stay at least 1/2 mile away from the elementary school?? :th_11:

i ALL KIDDING ASIDE , I THINK ITS A GREAT IDEA WHAT YOUR DOING DANNY , THIS WAY WHEN SOMEONE HAS OR THINKS THAT THEIR CARBURETORS ARE SCREWED UP , THEY CAN BUY A SET OFF OF YOU THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN " LIVE " ( NOT BENCH ) RUN , TUNED , AND TESTED ON A V-MAX ON THE ROAD , SO EITHER IT WILL FIX THEIR BIKE OR ELIMINATE THEM AS THE CAUSE OF THEIR PROBLEM ! . :punk:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too Timmy, if anybody wants a set....either 35mm or 34mm, they will go on my '99 for test & tune prior to shipping.

The obvious problem with that is if someone wants carbs in February!! :snow::tantrum::snow: :rofl_200:

i BUT YOU CAN TEST AND TUNE THEM ALL " IN THE GOOD MONTHS " WITH A LITTLE SEA FOAM AND STABLE IN YOUR GAS TANK , THEN WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF , DRAIN THE FUEL FROM THE BOWLS , AND THEN JUST PUT THEM ON THE SHELF , BECAUSE THEN THEY ARE GOOD TO GO ANYTIME ANYBODY NEEDS THEM " YEAR ROUND " ! .. :punk:

i BUT YOU CAN TEST AND TUNE THEM ALL " IN THE GOOD MONTHS " WITH A LITTLE SEA FOAM AND STABLE IN YOUR GAS TANK , THEN WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF , DRAIN THE FUEL FROM THE BOWLS , AND THEN JUST PUT THEM ON THE SHELF , BECAUSE THEN THEY ARE GOOD TO GO ANYTIME ANYBODY NEEDS THEM " YEAR ROUND " ! .. :punk:

Holy Bat Balls....Shit Man!! Rebuild all 10 sets?? :surprise: Well....11 now! :biglaugh:

Jeebull Crumpets Timmy....I ain't made o' money don't cha know!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Holy Bat Balls....Shit Man!! Rebuild all 10 sets?? :surprise: Well....11 now! :biglaugh:

Jeebull Crumpets Timmy....I ain't made o' money don't cha know!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
i .. SHIT , YOU TOLD ME THE OTHER NIGHT THAT YOU GAVE UP EATING ICE CREAM , AND AS EVERYONE WHO HAS ATTENDED A " BROWNIE RUN " KNOWS THAT YOU EAT A GALLON EVERY NIGHT WITH WHIPPED CREAM AND BROWNIES ON IT , SO WITH MY " GUESSTIMATION " , YOUR SAVING ABOUT $7- $10.00 A NIGHT , SO THATS ANYWHERE FROM $210.00 - $310.00 IN SAVINGS A MONTH ! ... SHIT , SCREW THE CARBS , YOU COULD BUY 2 MORE MOTORCYCLES WITH THAT ! .. :biglaugh: . :punk:

i .. SHIT , YOU TOLD ME THE OTHER NIGHT THAT YOU GAVE UP EATING ICE CREAM , AND AS EVERYONE WHO HAS ATTENDED A " BROWNIE RUN " KNOWS THAT YOU EAT A GALLON EVERY NIGHT WITH WHIPPED CREAM AND BROWNIES ON IT , SO WITH MY " GUESSTIMATION " , YOUR SAVING ABOUT $7- $10.00 A NIGHT , SO THATS ANYWHERE FROM $210.00 - $310.00 IN SAVINGS A MONTH ! ... SHIT , SCREW THE CARBS , YOU COULD BUY 2 MORE MOTORCYCLES WITH THAT ! .. :biglaugh: . :punk:

Timmy, yer a fookin' genius!! :worthy:

I really hadn't looked at it that way!!

Gen II, here I come!! Maybe even a Busa on the side!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

i HI DAN , I'M TIM ! .. IF I CAN EVER " SHAKE " MY MASTURBATION ADDICTION , I MAY SWITCH TO CARBURETORS ! .. BUT ITS GOING TO BE " HARD " :rofl_200: . MASTURBATING IS FAIRLY CHEAP ! .. :biglaugh::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
Tim, did you take the spikes off of the gloves first? ouch.....

OMG!!! :surprise::surprise::surprise:

Wha happened to my thread?? :ummm::ummm::ummm:

Timmy, you know I have a brotherly love for you....but in case I never mentioned it before....not everything needs to be shared!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Steve-o's mention of a 'picked prick' made me realize just how far we've strayed from the 34mm venture carb thread....how did this happen??

Was it the mention of the smaller throat? carb throat, of course, I mean carb throat!! :confused2::confused2::confused2: :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Back