New Guy - New guy questions. Everything I didn't find answers to...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvrk10256

Reaction score
Picked up a '99 Vmax tonight. I absolutly love it, my first non sportbike, and its so comfortable.

-full Stage 7 jet kit
-Kerker 4-1
-Electric fan kit

Quite possibly more stuff as the suspension is quite nice so I doubt its stock up front.

I will post pics later, for now here is my immediate plans:
-CBR tail light
-sliders
-front seals (and maybe springs)
-oil change
-brake fluid flush
-shorty levers
-new dash lights

So here are my questions:

1. Inside my for caps I have air hose connectors... WTF? Are the fronts air shocks?

2. I want to machine myself some pegs to use as lift points for a sport bike style rear lift - is there any issue with mounting them to the lower shock mounts?

3. Bike runs a bit rich based on the carb thread - I noticed some people with the stage 7 used only some of the parts?

4. Is there a DIY for the HID? I got a Clymer manual with the bike so I guess I just need to look up the plug type.

5. What is the best front turn signals? The mounts are kinda weird..

I appreciate everyone's patience.

So here are my questions:

1. Inside my for caps I have air hose connectors... WTF? Are the fronts air shocks?

2. I want to machine myself some pegs to use as lift points for a sport bike style rear lift - is there any issue with mounting them to the lower shock mounts?

3. Bike runs a bit rich based on the carb thread - I noticed some people with the stage 7 used only some of the parts?

4. Is there a DIY for the HID? I got a Clymer manual with the bike so I guess I just need to look up the plug type.

I appreciate everyone's patience.

1) if your suspicions are true that the front shocks arent stock, then there prolly isnt any air in them. but to answer your question, yes a stock fork is slightly pressurized.

3) some folks elect to bypass the vboost, some folks elect to retain it. it's up to you.

4) yes there is a diy kit. some go for the d???moto, search the forum. I think vmaxextreme started a thread about his xenon hid conversion. but the stock bucket is small and some folks report probs stuffing the setup in. i wanted a 7inch light anyways, so the slim ballast, 35w, bixenon, Chinese knock-off kit i bought off of eBay fit with lots off room to spare. the bulb is H4 by the way.

5). "best" turn signal...that's like asking "what kind of polish is the beat to shine up your wheels".LOL. hmmm. do you you like bullets, lollipops, led strips....

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Thanks for the reply. I have the stock Vboost setup still running. It kicks in at 6k. What I mean is "is there a front turn signal that mates up with the stock sleeves?"

If that makes any sense.

yeah, i really don't know what you mean by the stock sleeve

yeah, i really don't know what you mean by the stock sleeve

The lollipops have two pieces. One rubber thing that mounts to the headlight assmbly on one side and to the turn signal stalk on the other side. I would like to replace all of it.

The turn signal comes off in 1 piece including the rubber sleeve. Just unbolt oem and bolt on whatever you choose to use. Pretty much universal

ya, just dump the whole assembly. you'll be able to find an aftermarket set that more to your liking. a stock signal mounts to a bolt hole on the cowl. maybe you'd like some of the candybars that came with some early models?

Ok cool. Thanks for the info guys. I will poke around whne I am not falling asleep and get the mods rolling.

We can help you out with many of these items.

1.) As noted they are for an air assist. I don't suggest running air at all. Good springs (Progressive or Racetech - we sell both) and good fluid will fix that up. You may have them already?

2.) We make this as well and I suggest stainless for strength as opposed to aluminum. Our first batch had longer spool length and our new run will be shorter. The spool is stainless and has a handy allen burned into the end for installation.

3.) You can install most kits in a few different ways. Our kit is similar to the stage seven but with different air filtration (though I sell all the DJ products too). Many will leave the vboost intact when doing a stage seven. Most of the rest of the parts are used.

4.) EasternBeaver I think may have a wiring kit (at least the double relay kit). You're almost on your own for that though. Keep in mind the charging system isn't the greatest so be careful on the increased draw you may add. We do have custom light len's that work better and we've also used brighter bulbs and have ceramic adapters to deal with the heat at the plug.

5.) As was noted, this is a matter of personal opinion. We have many variations of signals available. Most LED's will be brighter but require some modification to work correctly (a diode kit as well as possible relay change). We sell this stuff as well.

We can help you out with many of these items.

1.) As noted they are for an air assist. I don't suggest running air at all. Good springs (Progressive or Racetech - we sell both) and good fluid will fix that up. You may have them already?

2.) We make this as well and I suggest stainless for strength as opposed to aluminum. Our first batch had longer spool length and our new run will be shorter. The spool is stainless and has a handy allen burned into the end for installation.

3.) You can install most kits in a few different ways. Our kit is similar to the stage seven but with different air filtration (though I sell all the DJ products too). Many will leave the vboost intact when doing a stage seven. Most of the rest of the parts are used.

4.) EasternBeaver I think may have a wiring kit (at least the double relay kit). You're almost on your own for that though. Keep in mind the charging system isn't the greatest so be careful on the increased draw you may add. We do have custom light len's that work better and we've also used brighter bulbs and have ceramic adapters to deal with the heat at the plug.

5.) As was noted, this is a matter of personal opinion. We have many variations of signals available. Most LED's will be brighter but require some modification to work correctly (a diode kit as well as possible relay change). We sell this stuff as well.

Thanks for all your help Sean. I will be hitting you up for some parts in a day or two once I get my scheduling worked out.

One more question:

-Are all the bulbs in the temp/rev/speed/nutral/oil/turn/ect the same base 74 type? I want to get some LED's....

are you thinking about COPRUNNER's bright LED mod? i know the speedo, tach and water temp bulbs are all the same. i would venture to say that the rest are, too, but don't quote me.

are you thinking about COPRUNNER's bright LED mod? i know the speedo, tach and water temp bulbs are all the same. i would venture to say that the rest are, too, but don't quote me.

Ya I was planning on doing something similar just brighter. I was just curious if the 5 warning lights are the same as the 4 main lights in the gauges.

for the turn signal, consider Prez's mid of replacing it with two LEDs (one for left, one for right) in the same chamber. really neat and
easy mod.

for the turn signal, consider Prez's mid of replacing it with two LEDs (one for left, one for right) in the same chamber. really neat and
easy mod.

Can you link it? Or give me the actual SN? when ever i search nothing comes up....

yep sure.. gimme a few.minutes to hunt it down. am on the phone, kinda difficult to search on the phone

The low fuel light won't work well with an LED unless you put a resistor in line.

Sean

The low fuel light won't work well with an LED unless you put a resistor in line.

Sean

Ya. I was planning on running a resistor. Did some maths 820 ohms @ 1/2W should do it.

I just need an answer if they are the same size and then I am ready to go.

Latest posts

Back