New insurance rates... you arent gonna believe this!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR_NST

Reaction score
so I remember getting into a thread last year that discussed everyones cost to plate their bikes... it was determined at the time that I pay pretty much the highest. it was 1500 or so at the time. well last fall our one and only insurance company raised our rates so now I pay $1680 a year.

BUT WAIT!!!!!!!!

Check out what they are proposing now!

http://www.sgi.sk.ca/pdf/rateproposal/Aug31-2013/motorcycles_LV.pdf

my bike is considered a cruiser/touring. its an 07. $2500 bucks a year!!!!! it could be worse look at sport bikes.

they say the reason is that automobiles are subsidising the actuasl cost of accidents that bikes cause. now they want to remove the cap. FUCK.

when I pay for plates this year they better throw the vasalene in for free.

peace,
evan...

Damn, that is a raw deal. Being from FL I have never had to have insurance on my bikes and tag fees are reasonable annually (about $50 but will go down in 2 years when the vmax 85 moves into the antique bracket).

We've got more room in the sunshine state if you want to come on down plus you can ride year round!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Damn, that is a raw deal. Being from FL I have never had to have insurance on my bikes and tag fees are reasonable annually (about $50 but will go down in 2 years when the vmax 85 moves into the antique bracket).

We've got more room in the sunshine state if you want to come on down plus you can ride year round!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Wow that's a lot. I pay about $180 for my 2 year registration and only $100 a year for full insurance coverage.

An' here was me thinking that it was only us in the UK that got screwed.

That is 'kin un-beleeevable - the cynic in me thinks it is a rather un-subtle way of getting rid of motorcycles?

I don't pretend to understand your system but would have thought that in a democracy where competition is king that such an insurance monopoly would not be allowed.

Perhaps you should take a lead from France - when their government tries to introduce unpopular legislation they take to the street and stop the country.

Guess I'll stop complaining about Michigan then, I pay about $250 a year through Progressive for insurance and about $30 for my plates... Everything is getting out of hand :(

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Gotta pay for that health care some way. If we get Obama's health care plan as he wants it, what do you think will happen here??? Someone has to pay and it is always the middleclass... The poor and rich skate...

Here in Ohio I pay $152.00 a year for full coverage for my 1999 vmax

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry?!?
What?
The accidents that Bikes cause?
I'll support the idea of someone having to pay more if there doing stunts and injure themselves or others but all the fellas I know who ride do it well and respect others on the road. Sounds like a case of everything being swept by the same broom.

im 41 and have State Farm and pay right at $300 a year full coverage and $25 or something for tags but on the flip side when i was 19 had a new GSXR 750 i was with state farm and paid $320 a year back then progressive wanted $4800 a year :bang head: yes thats 4 thousand 8 hundred. i almost had to get rid of the bike the second week i had it till i found state farm i only paid $6900 for the bike new.. been with them ever since

Here in Oklahoma...mine is 200 for full coverage and 85.00 a year for the tag. Now the latest stats that ive heard is that on a bike you are 65 times more likely to get involved in an accident, but thats BECAUSE cars dont see you and cause the accident.

Evan...all I can say is WOW...someone is taking yall for a ride..

With most insurance companies I guess that they look at the amount of damge that you can cause...and usually just to yourself only...

Mine in Texas is around $65 a year for the plates. About $85 for liability only coverage.

I can't find a full coverage policy that will cover what's actually in the bike so haven't even bothered trying anymore. Was told that even on a "stated value" policy that if there is a loss of more than book value I would still have to "prove my value" even tho I would be paying for a "stated value" policy.

Everyone i know that uses progressive for motorcycle coverage seems pretty pleased with them.
I use Farmers cause that's who I have the house and cars with. I think the liability on the bike is farmed out to someone else.

Last edited:
Mine in Texas is around $65 a year for the plates. About $85 for liability only coverage.

I can't find a full coverage policy that will over what's actually in the bike so haven't even bothered trying anymore. Was told that even on a "stated value" policy that if there is a loss of more than book value I would still have to "prove my value" even tho I would be paying for a "states value" policy.

Everyone i know that uses progressive for motorcycle coverage seems pretty pleased with them.
I use Farmers cause that's who I have the house and cars with. I think the liability on the bike is farmed out to someone else.

That's exactly why I just have liability on mine too Rusty.... The reason why Michigan is so high is we are a "no fault" state and its stupid as hell... Honestly if work doesn't pick up this season I've almost totally decided to move your way... If I'm not gonna make no money then I might as well be warm and broke... LOL

That's exactly why I just have liability on mine too Rusty.... The reason why Michigan is so high is we are a "no fault" state and its stupid as hell... Honestly if work doesn't pick up this season I've almost totally decided to move your way... If I'm not gonna make no money then I might as well be warm and broke... LOL

Well atleast you can keep your guns...and be warm...lol

Well atleast you can keep your guns...and be warm...lol

Don't want to get the thread too off track but here in Michigan the climate is still pretty gun friendly, not as friendly as IN but tolerable at least but getting hard to make a living.. Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread...

Florida does look pretty damn good. I don't know what to say. there are no other insurance companies here because SGI (Saskatchewan Govt Insurance) is a crown corporation and they don't allow competition. That is that. They hold small obscure forums that do little in the way of having any effect in regard to public opinion. I make a pretty decent yearly dollar, but my 3 vehicles combined will be close to 5% of my yearly income. This is unbelievable. How can this be justified.

So much for ever seeing any newer big CC bikes around here. this is gonna kill the hobby. At least when you get a bill for 5 Gs you can look to other insurance companies. not so here.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, im gonna have to figure out when these forums are and voice my opinion.

peace,
evan...

I'm in MD age 51, I have Nation Wide they would not do full coverage on my 1992 Vmax only liability I pay $390.00 and my tag and title cost me total $226.00 for 2 years.

After ready this post I'm on line now check other insurance company pricing.

I'm in MD age 51, I have Nation Wide they would not do full coverage on my 1992 Vmax only liability I pay $390.00 and my tag and title cost me total $226.00 for 2 years.

After ready this post I'm on line now check other insurance company pricing.

That does not sound right.
My liability only policy is something like $75/ year.
My quote for full coverage was cheaper than what you are paying for liability.

That does not sound right.
My liability only policy is something like $75/ year.
My quote for full coverage was cheaper than what you are paying for liability.

That's what I pay for 1 year. Who are you with..

I presume by "tags" you guys mean registration? That costs over $600 AUD a year here in Oz. No kidding. And insurance is up around $500 at least, maybe more (I'm not insuring as third party injury is covered by registration).

On top of the doubled price of bikes, it's... well, I want to punch someone in government honestly. There have been petitions for years and they refuse to listen.

Back