New issue - bike stalls going into gear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoNat

Reaction score
OK, just getting ready to test ride after all the repair and etc... now bike stalls every time i put it into gear. tried keeping revs up no difference. clutch is still pulled in... any thoughts?

1985 - no engine mods besides jets and drilled exhaust.

does the 85 have one?:confused2:

grabbing jumper wire and allen wrench - headed for garage...

thanks Dustan... that's what it was...

there are some pretty smart guys on here :clapping:

ok, so bypasing showed it was the issue... can the switch be cleaned/fixed or does it need to be replaced?

can the switch be cleaned/fixed or does it need to be replaced?

I would try first, I think it can - carefully.

At worst you'll break it, and then you can always replace it. I'm pretty sure Sean Morley will have some for sale lying around..

bypass it for now and see if that works..
does it stall from clutch grabbing hard or is it getting ignition cut off??
In other words is it a low rpm stall or a intentional ign cut off?

I don't think I would mess with trying to repair the switch. Although I haven't taken mine apart, I have to imagine that it is a sealed assembly, given the environment it lives in.

If yours has built up sufficient corrosion that it no longer operates then the seal has most likely been compromised. Don't cheat yourself trying to repair a switch that WILL fail again and possibly leave you stranded someplace.

Bite the bullet and just order a new switch.

the bypass worked fine... will take a look at the switch in the daylight today.

was def the switch. this switch apparently has something to do with being able to start only in neutral, too? after i installed the bypass it let me start it in gear with the clutch in (or had i just not been dumb enough to try to start it in gear with the clutch released before? :biglaugh:)

:rofl_200: Yes, that's one of the safteys they put on bikes now, so Stupid peolpe will not hurt themselves or their bikes. Funny Stuff, Spurs

the bypass worked fine... will take a look at the switch in the daylight today.

was def the switch. this switch apparently has something to do with being able to start only in neutral, too? after i installed the bypass it let me start it in gear with the clutch in (or had i just not been dumb enough to try to start it in gear with the clutch released before? :biglaugh:)
Safety first. I think that switch is there mainly so we don't put the bike in gear and ride off with the kickstand down. Mine has activated when the kickstand doesn't go all the way up. Glad you got it figured out. You should be able to find a good used one if yours is beyond repair/cleaning.

Back