New Member and Maxer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshaw

Reaction score
Hello, I just got my first Vmax
eusa_dance.gif
.I flew over to Salt Lake, Utah from New Mexico and purchased a 1985 model. I rode it home (850 miles) and love it. I am needing some help
uhm00000.gif
, I rode it yesterday and after a short ride I shut it off for about an hour and then it would not start. I tried starting fluid in the carbs but nothing. I left it there over night and the next morning it fired right up.
confused24.gif
Any ideas???

Looks like I have the privelesge to be the first to welcome you aboard to our community. You are gonna like it here. Check in every day and learn how to use the "search" function.
Your "hot start" issue is not uncommon. Look up "crimp fix" and maybe the battery thread. If you didn't already know, 1985 bikes were known for a second gear issue so you might want to research that too. Your fix is a simple wiring modification. eBay has a wiring upgrade that specifically addresses this. Keep asking questions and reading. Soon monkeys will be hiding in your garage...

Welcome to VMF and VMax's. Let the Mods begin......Congrats on the 85 too.:biglaugh:

Thanks for the info. I have been playing with the site here and so far I like. Alot of help Thanks again I will look at the Crimp Fix and start there. Any advise on a seat, that 850 mile ride on the stock one was horrid. I like the look of the "UFO" seat.

Thanks for the info. Any advise on a seat, that 850 mile ride on the stock one was horrid. I like the look of the "UFO" seat.

Good job on the 85.

Iv got a ufo seat and like it more than the stock saddle.

Any advice on a seat, that 850 mile ride on the stock one was horrid. I like the look of the "UFO" seat.

I think the best seats come from Sean Morley. It's the 'muscle seat', and it's made to your liking. You can get the full seat (inc pillion), or just the rider's section (cheaper). He also mods Corbin seats, that's what I have and I love it.

There's also the Maxgasser seat - new kid on the block. Very well made, a few of us bought them and love them. I'm not sold on its looks, but some also hate the Corbin look.

In the end, to each his own, but no-one can beat the customer service Sean provides. :clapping:

:punk: Hey, UFO seat is a good choice. Had the flames sticthed into mine. Good luck, Spurs

Welcome. This forum is awesome! I have spent hours searching and reading. The info here is endless. The seat issue is wide open. I would suggest sitting on one before buying. I'm sure ther is someone near you with an aftermarket seat. I have had a Sportmax and a Corbin. I now ride a stocker. I sat on a buddy's Morley's Muscle seat, WOW! That is my next seat. Good luck and ride safe.

Thanks for the info. I have been playing with the site here and so far I like. Alot of help Thanks again I will look at the Crimp Fix and start there. Any advise on a seat, that 850 mile ride on the stock one was horrid. I like the look of the "UFO" seat.

Welcome to the site! Morley makes a good seat and take a look at the Maxgasser too (check the banner at the top of the page). I have one of each and like them both.

850 on a stock seat!! Whew, long haul!!

Welcome,
Do the crimp fix---Its easy. It was one of the first things I did to my Max after purchase. Get a float charger and use it often---- I'm still on the same battery as purchased-- over 5 years.

Lew

Welcome to the Circus of all of us Vmaxers. This forum is a good group of guys and perhaps some ladies in here too. We do our best to help each other out!

hey man congrats on the bike, welcome to the forum.... let us know if the crimp was the culprit, got any pics of your ride yet????

Back