New mod, new problem.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
So me and my buddy installed my new tack a few days ago. After a few hours and lots of turning the bike on and off, we got it all sorted, by that time it was a bit late and he needed to get home, and I needed to go to bed.

The next day we planed a ride, so I get on my bike, attempt to get it started, so such luck, ok we probably killed the battery. Try jumping it from my Jeep. Get it started, but as soon as it gets in first it dies. Even keeping the RPMs up. Sounds more like the plugs where flooded from all the times we started and turned the bike off.

So I unplug the caps from the spark plugs, cant get the spark plugs out so leave them in, take my battery to a shop to get it completely charged. let the bike sit for a few days, get the battery back and try starting it again. Still wont work. It simply wont turn over.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I'm wondering if there was a current draw that took your battery down overnight, and when you jumped it there was just enough juice to roll it over but once started not enough to keep it running right "weak spark", as for not cranking over with a fully charged battery check the simple things first, is the start solenoid clicking when button is depressed?.....Are the lights and V-Boost servo coming on when key is turned on?........Battery terminals tight?.........................Tom.

Fouled plugs? Constant start/stopping and engine without letting it warm up tends to do this, and being cold and probably with the choke on definitely doesn't help. The Vmax doesn't have a super charging system....many bikes out there in reality just barely "break even" in terms of power use, so I'll agree with what Tom said about a weak spark.

And by "turn over" do you mean it won't crank or cranks but won't start?

And by "turn over" do you mean it won't crank or craQqnks but won't start?

Bad terminology on my part. Out at lunch now, going to try and unplug the new tac when I get home and sees what happens

I would start with the tach . Take it off , checking the wires as you go. See if everything goes back to normal.

Alright, So this is what has happened so far.

Unplugged the Tach. Same problem. Cranks but wont start.

Replaced the spark plugs. Cranks but wont start.

Tonight I am going to take out the spark plugs again and air them out and put them in again tomorrow with my buddy and see what he has to say.

Getting spark while cranking?

Since the only thing that's changed is wiring the tach it's got to be an electrical issue. Is there power to the coils when the key is turned on?

What did you have to do to install the tach? if it has a "2 cylinder" mode tapping the three wires to the stock tach is all that's needed. I did this without any adverse effects. If it didn't and you had to rig up diodes between two coils, my guess would be you got something in backwards and have messed up power to the coils.

TCI ignition(what the vmax has) always have 12v power and spark when grounded. CDI coils are the opposite, they receive pulses of medium voltage (~200v) and instantly amplify it to the plug but are not energized when not generating a spark.

So I'm thinking something you did has killed power to your coils.

fuckity fuck fuck fuck. I think I win the idiot award if what I think happened is the actual problem.

Alright so I was already somewhat low on gas when we started installing the tach and so added some gas to my bike from the gas can while we where turning it on and off.

I actually got it to start today and it was running for a good 3-4 minutes and I turned it off, saw it was low on gas and added more to it. Started it again and no problem what so ever, but it started stumbling and acting up again. Then it hit me... the gas is probably shit, its been in the container for a bit. So I added some sea foam and ran it as much as I could to circulate it and now I will wait till tomorrow and hope it clears up. Ride it up and down the street and once that is good re attach the tach, and start looking at wires.

Hope its just the shit gas I put in it.

beat me to the punch was gonna say, if ya got spark and air the only thing missing is fuel, glad you got it sorted out. so now, where is the pic of the new tach.......come on man, pics, we love them

Fuck.

Alright so after letting it air out last night, still have problems, I get it started then it starts stuttering and dies out on me. It does it when I let it ideal and also when I try revving it.

There is one damn spark plug I havent been able to replace, could this all be because of one?

Unscrew the drain plug at the bottom of the tank.

How long was the bike "laid up"? Ethanol blend gas sucks, but it's not going to go bad in a matter or days or a week or two.

If you suspect contaminated fuel, drain the bowls of the carbs as well. One philips/flat combo screw on the outboard facing side of each carb, immediately above the manifold boot. Should get an ounce or so out of each one. Drain them into a clean, clear container so you can see if any water or trash comes out.

Ok drained it, got some 92 fuel put some in, then some sea foam. Started up, sounded great. Big sigh of reielf. Then I rev it, back to the same old problem.

Buddy is coming over soon so we will see. He is still thinking its flooded.

Back