New Old Bike Finds Fanatic to Bed Down With..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blurr

Reaction score
So I spent 29 days out on a production platform here in Alaska trying to get this project done and when I got off I really needed to go someplace; anyplace, so long as it was more then 15 feet in one direction with out bumping into bulkhead, person or pipe. I hopped on my bike and headed to Fairbanks because I've been told they hey have an excellent auto museum. I sent KJ a note but He never got back to me; BAD KJ... set the cruise control and just let the Alaskan wilderness roll by. I got to say, it was a very pleasant cruise. I was heading up to Fairbanks to check out an old BMW. Thing is, I met an older one at the gas station. The bike i was going to see was a basket case, admittedly complete but basket case none the less. The one I met was showroom pretty and the same year/model as the one I spent my formative years sitting on the gas tank of as my Dad and I bombed all over Texas.

Long story short, I ended up in Fairbanks with two motorcycles and only one rider. But I AM the owner of brand new to me, fully restored and bike show ready BMW R60/2 US with less then 30,000 original miles, loaded w/factory options, and 7 inches of receipts that stretch back to 1969 when the bike was bought. Bought it from an 'Aussie John'. Perhaps KJ knows of him? Yohoo, KJ?

Only down side is that I was up there on a bike and wasn't prepared to tow it off right then. The PO was leaving for AZ to pick up his new Indian and ride it home. Not to worry, I know the local Harley dealer and he speaks highly of John, I've been to his home and tax records show that he of the bike and property. Now I just have to wait till July when He gets back.

I am kicking myself that I didn't take any photos of it that I can post here but, ya, Come on July! May be the only time I've wished an Alaskan summer would speed up...

I pulled that picture from a BMW site for those of you not familiar with the bike, want to be clear that that isn't my bike but it is close enough for this purpose.

Attachments

• bmw.jpg
    bmw.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 43
That is a beautiful bike. A friend of mine had a late 80's BMW that was made to LOOK like the older 60's BMW, and I got to take it out for a test ride. Great bike.

Congrats.

Congrats on the new wheels, I look forward to seeing the actual pics when you post them after pickup.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Good luck w/getting it in July. Sounds like a good bike for casual riding and shows.

One of my friends who is a public high school teacher in Miami FL & is a rider (back in the early 1980's I bought a '80 KZ1000 he owned), well, his dad has a ~1956 R60 BMW he bought new & still has. He rode that on occasion (this century!), but more-often his Gold Wing up until several ago, I don't think he's riding any more, as he's now in his mid-80's! Last time I saw the bike, he & the son who is the school teacher took it to an AHMA meet in Dania Beach FL. He should have exhibited it, as it was as-nice as anything there of a similar age, that wasn't a trailer queen. it's 'fully-dressed,' and is the popular cream color. What color is yours (did I miss that?)?

I had an R100RT I rode to graduate school, I loved the hard bags, they held all my books! I hot-rodded it a bit, easy to do 'cause it already had 40 mm Bings, stock. The BMW's are built for the long haul and they attract a wealthier owner who can better afford the service. You should be able to pass that along when you're ready-to, to the 'next generation.'

KJ is KJ. Sweet Ride you're picking up.. Gas mileage should be phenomenal...

Back