New Owner... Carb Issues I Think....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this keeps getting weirder and weirder....on the way home today if I hit the front brakes hard the bike will stall almost all the time, or have a really hard time to recover from the hard braking .....coughing sputtering non responsive throttle and wanting really badly to stall tank is full BTW floats....electrical? who knows all I know is that I am sick of working on it

it seems to be way beyond my capabilities and the problems keep mounting

it has now become undriveable

sniff.........:tantrum:

well i have the whole thing taken apart again this time I am taking a very hard look at everything

the pronounced motor hesitation going over bumps and stalling while braking over bumps has me thinking it might be a few things: loose electrical connector somewhere, control unit with a bad board, serious issues with the carbs

sad to see it in pieces again the weather is so nice up here right now

the fuel pump is clean

i am looking at the boots from the airbox to the carb and from the carb to the Vboost there does not seem to be any cracking anywhere but the rubber does seem stiff the bike is a 96' 12000 miles..... would you recommend changing all the boots at this point to be safe?

well i have the whole thing taken apart again this time I am taking a very hard look at everything

the pronounced motor hesitation going over bumps and stalling while braking over bumps has me thinking it might be a few things: loose electrical connector somewhere, control unit with a bad board, serious issues with the carbs

sad to see it in pieces again the weather is so nice up here right now

the fuel pump is clean

i am looking at the boots from the airbox to the carb and from the carb to the Vboost there does not seem to be any cracking anywhere but the rubber does seem stiff the bike is a 96' 12000 miles..... would you recommend changing all the boots at this point to be safe?

I changed all the boots on mine last time the bank was off. Found out it did not need it, but now I have the assurance that the boots won't be a problem anymore. Plus it gave me the chance to clean and inspect the boost assembly.

My 85 had a similar problem, hit a bump and died. I found the connector behind the main fuse had come undone. The plastic connector is very brittle and the locking tabs are long gone. Only took a couple of minutes to find cause it was dead. Plugged it back in and back on the road. I've since wrapped a wire tie around the connection to lock it in place after removing the female spade connectors and tightening them up. Problem solved. It wouldn't hurt to undo each connector and tighten up the female halves, loose connections can be a real pain.
Good luck.

+1, that connector is sensitive. I'm thinking of replacing it with a heavy duty inline fuse holder.

I am buying most of what is on mark's carb rebuild list but i would like to avoid replacing all the boots...trying to save a few $$$

the airbox to carb boots seem the toughest to get to stay on when installing airbox thinking of replacing just those....

carb to v-boost seem fine and v-boost to manifold seem ok as well.....or should i just be safe than sorry ??

Hate to spend when not needed this bike has cost me enough this season

the wife is looking at winter boots for the kids not carb boots for her other big kid

You can try to re-use. Just look carefully for cracks. It's best to remove clamps and take a close look using a work light. Make sure you put them on right. The indents need to align with the manifold and the rib for the clamp must be facing out.

One thing I've been meaning to try is some of that Armorall tire cleaner to see if it makes the rubber a bit more pliable.

FYI

just ordered the parts on your list minus the red items and float drain screw

total of 176.68$ cnd funds

i am going to try and reuse all of the boots

BTW thanks for the tip about the main fuse I will look at that again

the way the airbox is just perched on the carbs with only the hose clamps holding it on the carbs .....it seems susceptible to vibration and possible detachment causing all kinds of mixture issues

How did you make out with the carb rebuild?? I'm having the same problems and can use any info I can get. Feel your PAIN:bang head: bro!!!!!
Fred

Ok got my carb parts...the owner of the Yam dealer called me Saturday to say they had missed a box...yes !!! I have cleaned and replaced everything on Mark's list. Do you recommend removing and cleaning the enrichment circuit to be safe. I have the carbs off and split so now would be the time....

I would. Check for diaphragm tears and clean the plunger and bore. Make sure the hole in the cover and the holes in the body are clean.

the airbox to carb boots seem the toughest to get to stay on when installing airbox thinking of replacing just those....

When they wear out and get dry and are no longer pliable, it's hard to prevent air leaks around them. I'm glad I replaced mine.

Reading back through this post i had to laugh......what a greenhorn.....!!!

Do not post on here until you have at least one beer after coming out of the garage with mother max

she is fixed finally.....and screaming

what a bike.....

The boots i say the boots

the airbox to carb boots were too old and stiff (think mother-in-law) and were causing a lot of the trouble i was having air leak issues

replaced all the boots with new and sync'd again presto a new bike

THANKS TO ALL .... I TRULY APPRECIATE THE TIME YOU TAKE TO HELP

this thread can now curl up and die like a lehman brothers h.r. manager

Back