New Progressive fork springs don't feel right

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmax1971

Reaction score
Hi,Fellow VMAX'ers
I'm new to the site as well as my 93 VMAX.I would like thank everyone for posting all the helpful info.
I just completed my first needed mod.1" progressive lowering kit.I watched Sean Morley's video(Thanks Sean!) and decided to give it a go.I followed every step and double checked all of my work,however when I got the bike out of the garage and compressed the forks they feel very firm and make a noise and feel like their sticking or binding.I used 15w Belray fork oil,cut the preload spacers according to Progressive specs.I ended up with 7/8" from top of fork.Can't fiqure out where I went wrong ?

Did you make sure you put the aftermarket washer in between the preload and progressive spring? Also did you make sure you put the lowering spring in right? I watched sean's video 10x and still missed a step ;)

mine were super hard when i first got on after installing them. i couldn't compress them much at all. During the install i had to cut the load plastic tube several times until i finally got the top cap bolted down. I went around the neighborhood and after 3 miles, i noticed the fork started to move freely. I went back home put her on the centerstand and removed the top cap. i noticed the preload tube now is almost flushed with the top so it is sticking about 1/4 of an inch. I'm betting the suspension had time to be loaded/unloaded and seat properly.

Don't go far but right around a mile or so and then recheck the preload, spring, etc.

Sounds like you did it right on the preload. It will be stiffer and you can remove a little more preload if you want to soften it up a touch (don't take more then 1/4" off at a time and even then maybe not more then 1/4" total).

Not sure about the sticking part??

Thanks for the feedback!

sidwin , I did put the aftermarket washers between spring and prelaod,I also remembered the lowering spring (kit came with 4 springs).I guess I could have lowered it 2" if I had chose to.I'm going to take your advice and go for a short ride;then i'll check it.

Sean,I guess you would call it more of a knocking sound.Sticking, was not the way I should have described it!

4gasm,Yes I did install new OEM seals.Was that the right move?

No you don't need to lower the forks if you fit Progessive springs.

What you should do is to set the static sag (how much the forks compress when you get onto the bike) which would typically be 25mm (stiffer) - 30mm (more compliant).

The amount of sag is determined by the length of the spacer tubes. The final length of the tube will depend on how heavy you are.

Use a tube cutter to ensure the ends are squre.

This may seem like a pain but the effort is rewarded but a much improved ride! :thumbs up:

If you install just the springs only you will get slightly more tension using the stock spacer then if you cut it down. I don't think it would be too stiff and easily changed after you ride it the first time. If you wanted to lower it internally though you would need to cut an inch off the spacer for each inch you lower it.
Sean

Back