New Shocks - First Mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geek_Law

Reaction score
Well, Parts for the max have been arriving the last couple of days, but when the shocks came I just had to throw them on.

I got new 412 progressives at 11.5" and threw them on this evening. I wish I had gotten the 11" shocks, but other than that, I'm very pleased. Best $215.00 I've spent so far on this bike.

Super easy install. Took maybe 20 minutes and that included a test ride. The new shocks also resolved my rear wheel pulsating when the brakes are applied. I think I must have had a bum shock, rather than a warped rotor. So that was a total bonus.

I tried to lower the front by sliding the forks up, but my model year has a "air link" between the two front forks, and so the tubes won't slide up any further. But that's ok. The thing drives great with just the rear shocks.

Here are a couple of pics:

1254447110.jpg

1254447105.jpg

Here is a pic of the air link. As you can see, the tubes are not going to go up through the triple tree any further than they already are. I can slide them down a bit, but not up.

1254447108.jpg

take some pics from further away so we can get an idea of what the stance looks like :)

yea the earlier model forks can't be dropped as is. altho i think some guys put some epoxy in the holes and removed the x-over.

i've never done rear shocks, don't u have to support the frame or something? or do u put it on the CS and just do one side at a time?

yea the earlier model forks can't be dropped as is. altho i think some guys put some epoxy in the holes and removed the x-over.

i've never done rear shocks, don't u have to support the frame or something? or do u put it on the CS and just do one side at a time?

The rear shocks are dead easy. Since the bike had a center stand, I just put it on that, but a MC jack works just as well. Actually, a motorcycle jack works better, but I used the center stand.

Just remove the bolts top and bottom on each side, slide off the shock. The wheel will drop to the floor, so have it supported or near the floor. Then grease up and install the new shocks. It seriously is as simple as that.

I'll look into the air joint more. I'll take it for a spin with no air pressure and see how it handles. If it rides fine, then I might just epoxy the holes as suggested.

Don't dump your old shocks! I've seen many pairs go for $50+ on fleaBay..

At the front you could use a bead of weld or some epoxy to fill the air holes. I haven't done it on mine yet, but then I have no need to lower my bike whatsoever. I've never run any air in there - Progressive springs and Ricor Intimators work great for me.

Once you're lowered, especially that much, you need to look out for a few things:

- cut down your side stand, or the bike will fall over when you blow on it!
- cut down your center stand, or you'll need to ride the rear wheel onto a plank to use it..
- BE CAREFUL when leaning in turns. If you beach your engine guards or your center stand, you will be off before you know it - you have seriously reduced ground clearance now.

I have stock rear shocks and the front lowered 2" internally and stock kickstand. I do have to watch where I put the kickstand down but that is not a problem normally. It sits in the work parking lot with 25 mph winds coming of Lake Superior with no issues, even with a 1/2 cover on it. Maybe I'll grind the kickstand stop down a little to give a bit more lean this winter or get a shortened one from Sean. I also have my centerstand removed except for when servicing but when I do install it I can pull it onto the c/s, albeit with focused effort.
As for my forks I don't run any air in them either with just progressive springs lowered 2" internally and 15 wt Silkolene fork oil. I typically get a puff of air when I release the valve about once a month. I'm sure the Ricor and the RaceTech Emulators would make the front end smoother and react better. The lowered forks gave me more confidence cornering and braking over stock as it seems to plant the front end. Especially in those 90 mph sweepers trying to keep up with my brother doing 130 mph on his FZ1.

now redbone, was it u that took off the cross over pipe thingy out of the forks and filled with epoxy or something?

Just lower them internally... Stock springs suck and putting the front tire closer to the radiator with stock springs is asking for problems. 11.5's are perfect in the back. Any more and you'd bottom out with an adult on it.

Chris

now redbone, was it u that took off the cross over pipe thingy out of the forks and filled with epoxy or something?
No, it wasn't me. I think it might have been Mark, who's probably thinking about how good Danny's brownies are gonna taste next spring!:clapping:

Just lower them internally... Stock springs suck and putting the front tire closer to the radiator with stock springs is asking for problems. 11.5's are perfect in the back. Any more and you'd bottom out with an adult on it.

Chris
I can attest that even with my forks lowered 2" my fender has never hit the radiator. I can't even get close as when I had the stock springs in.
Also, if you add good brakes before you upgrade the fork springs....you're probably gonna hit. The fork dive with stock brakes was bad enough, I can't imagine how scary it might be with bigger rotors and hayabusa calipers. YIKES!:eek:

11.5's are perfect in the back. Any more and you'd bottom out with an adult on it.

Chris

Thankfully, I am not an adult, nor do I know any. So the chances of me bottoming out the bike are remote. Try as I might, I have just never grown up.

I can attest that even with my forks lowered 2" my fender has never hit the radiator. I can't even get close as when I had the stock springs in.
Also, if you add good brakes before you upgrade the fork springs....you're probably gonna hit. The fork dive with stock brakes was bad enough, I can't imagine how scary it might be with bigger rotors and hayabusa calipers. YIKES!:eek:

Hmmm ... well, the brakes are going on, so perhaps I should consider better internal springs. How involved is that in terms or cost and work? I've never opened up a set of fork tubes before.

My ultimate goal with the height of the bike is to make it comfortable for my wife to ride it. She's 5'1 and lowering the rear shocks helped a lot, but I need another 1" or so. I think I could probably get that at the seat by lowering the front maybe 2" as noted above.

Yeah Seans seat is your best bet. VERY well made mind you!!! Also lowering the front will help. Especially in the corners. It's going to be VERY slow to fall in the way you have it set up right now. Be aware of that. Any lower than 2 in front and 1.5 in back can cause issues with speed bumps and low hanging exhaust.

Chris

Back