New Tires!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max03

Reaction score
Hello guys, im in need for a new set of tires for my max, it has the stock wheels and tires its an 03. Was looking for the best all around tires for handling and tire life. Also looking for the best place to buy from. Thanks guys looking forward to your feedback...

I really like my ME880 metzlers, got a 170 out back, good wear/grip.

If you do a search of the forum there are dozens, if not a hundred plus, threads about who likes what tire and where to buy them. What you will soon find is that tires are like what oil folks run, a personal decision based on your riding style etc. For a stocker Vmax a popular choice is the Metzler ME880 front and rear. You can also run the Metzler LaserTech front which is a good tire as well.

Will a 170 fit on stock wheel? And fit inside stock swing arm? If so does it handle better or worse??

Yes. That is the widest tire you can safely put on the stock rear rim.

Yes. Some guys have had to do the "washer swap" Seems that most (myself included) do not. You can search for that on the forum, there are threads dedicated to the subject: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=7462

Depends on who you ask. Once you hit a certain point, too wide of a tire will negatively impact your turning ability. IMO, a 170 is FAR from having any negative impact.

I added Metzler 170 on mine, and stock size metzler up front...HUGE difference. To me, it feels like my bike handles better. The 170 fits without the washer swap, by the narrowest of margins, but it fits. I'm really happy with the Metzlers, and would definitely recommend them.

Hello guys, im in need for a new set of tires for my max, it has the stock wheels and tires its an 03. Was looking for the best all around tires for handling and tire life. Also looking for the best place to buy from. Thanks guys looking forward to your feedback...
Motorcycle Superstore has a lot of brands, and had a sale last week. Plus free shipping.I'm waiting on a set of Shinko's right now. But you did say tire life which they don't have. They do grip well wet or dry though. I came blasting through the rain a couple of weeks ago. Shinko's were glued to the road at 75mph. And, they are pretty well done. 170 rear is just slightly taller than stock. Not enough to matter one way or another. Imho.
Steve-o

I'm running the Bridgestone Exedras Redbone posted about. I have no complaints. Way better than the stock Dunlops and I got the pair for less than the price of a rear Metzeler ME880.

Sorry dumb question here, but when you say Metzer 170 is that 170/90-15? Because all I can find is 170/80-15 which I assume is what I need. But I want to be absolute sure.

170/80-15 is the size. Fits with no mods. .040 taller I believe. A little wider-20mm. Won't make a diference and looks a lot better. imho.
Welcome to the forum.
Steve-o

Just ordered a new 170/80-15 Metzeler this morning! Cant wait to see how it looks and performs. I hate having different front and rear tires..but my front is almost new. Its the stock bridgestone.. I payed $189 CAN for the metzeler...expensive..but I hope it lasts.

Replacing my rear tire for the first time 7700 hard miles, going back with the OEM Bridgestone G526. I thought this tire held up really well and I like the raised black letter tire, my OEM front tire still look great and the price was right, Motorcycle super store
$110.99 with fast free shipping.

Put the new Metzeler on without any troubles. No washer swap needed. Lots of room for it to clear the swingarm. Good 1/4". Like how it looks and performs. It really corners well compared to my old worn out bridgestone. I didn't think it was that bad until I went for a ride with the Metzeler. Night and day. Great tire!

Does anyone with a 170 rear tire have 11 1/2" Progressive Shocks?
If so, any problems with the tire rubbing the fender when riding 2-up?

Latest posts

Back