New to the forums, New to riding

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welcome to your new adventure. let me start off with this: i, too, am fairly new to the experience electing to begin it last October with a VMax.

c..but if you are new to riding, just some good advice... BE VERY EASY on the throttle untill you get used to the bike.

THIS IS THE BEST PIECE OF ADVICE THAT ANY MAXXER CAN OFFER YOU.

You DO NOT have to twist the throttle at all to get the bike moving. IT IS F-IN POWERFUL for a newbie who doesn't have his wits about him and sitting in the saddle without the amount of respect a knight has when he confronts a dragon.

I don't know exactly what happened, it happened so quick. I had just bought my Max and was in the dealership parking lot itchin with excitement to drive it home. I released the clutch too fast and it surge forward. Scared the $h!t outta me! I squeezed the throttle with a death grip as I got thrown back into the saddle and as a result my Max launched. I must've dropped the throttle 'cause I was thrown forward, which freaked more crap outta me that when I tried to force my ass back in the saddle I had another death grip. You guessed it--my bike launched 'cause of the downward squeeze I applied to force my ass back down. Anyways, the rest was a blur (literally), but I remember flying over the handlebars, rolling (thank God for my martial arts training), standing up looking at my beautiful new toy on its side in a puddle of gas. :-(

Anyways, DO NOT, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT let my story discourage you. Riding a Max is absolutely frickin awesome. The dealership delivered the bike to my home and after spending a few minutes learning the clutch and a couple days puttzing around the neighborhood, I'm having the time of my life launching off the stoplights and hauling ass over bridges--broke 100 last month for the first time. OH MY FRICKIN GOD !!!!

Some talking points to put the owner on the spot with and to add to your fodder when negotiating him/her down:

1. Look at the clutch and brake fluid through the masters' windows. make sure they don't look muddy and are able to kind of see through it. and by i mean "kind of see through", i don't mean that it should be transparent, but like looking at a glass of ice tea and not a glass of Coke.
  2. It may have problems getting into Neutral. Don't factor this in as a negative. A lot of Maxes, mine included, have issues in this department. Not that it's a nuisance, but rather you have to learn the trick.
  3. It'll probably puff some smoke out of its exhaust if it is started cold. As long as it is white smoke, the bike is normal.
  4. Have the owner, pop open the faux lid and helmet lock
  5. Bring a volt meter and make sure the battery is good
  6. Ask him what kind of oil (s)he's using and how often it was changed
  7. Bring a digital camera or phone to take pics
I know there would be more talking points I could offer if I thought some more, but seeing that your looking at it tomorrow, I don't know if I can come up with more in time.

Last but not least, and this is gonna sound sick, don't buy it tomorrow. Look at it. Sit on it. Have a mate snap a pic of you in the saddle so that you can see how cool you're gonna be driving a head-turner. :) If you're allowed, drive it (CAREFULLY, of course, NEWBIE). Go home, sleep, dream of the bike, wake up, talk some more with friends who ride and show the folks on this forum the pics you took. <<If the owner is a VMaxForum member, I hope (s)he has some thick skin. :rofl_200:>> Contact the owner over the course of the next couple days until the weekend and make sure no one's gonna take your baby while you soak up more advice with adrenaline-free senses. Dude, you'll have all weekend to play with it and you'll have absolutely no regrets if you buy the puppy!!!

Just be rational and use your common sense. And I speak from experience, it's gonna be tough to think with a clear head after strapping your ass to the beast and hearing it roar.

Cheers

Last edited:
welcome to your new adventure. let me start off with this: i, too, am fairly new to the experience electing to begin it last October with a VMax.

THIS IS THE BEST PIECE OF ADVICE THAT ANY MAXXER CAN OFFER YOU.

You DO NOT have to twist the throttle at all to get the bike moving. IT IS F-IN POWERFUL for a newbie who doesn't have his wits about him and sitting in the saddle without the amount of respect a knight has when he confronts a dragon.

I don't no exactly what happened, it happened so quick. I had just bought my Max and was in the dealership parking lot itchin with excitement to drive it home. I released the clutch too fast and it surge forward. Scared the $h!t outta me! I squeezed the handlebar with a death grip as I was thrown back into the saddle and as a result my Max launched. I the must've dropped the throttle 'cause I was thrown forward freaking more crap outta me that when I tried to force my ass back in the saddle I had another death grip. You guessed it--my bike launched 'cause of the downward squeeze. Anyways, the rest was a blur (literally), but I remember flying over the handlebars, rolling (thank God for my martial arts training), standing up looking at my beautiful new toy on its side in a puddle of gas. :-(

Anyways, DO NOT, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT let my story discourage you. Riding a Max is absolutely frickin awesome. The dealership delivered the bike to my home and after spending a few minutes learning the clutch and a couple days puttzing around the neighborhood, I'm having the time of my life launching off the stoplights and hauling asses over bridges--broke 100 last month for the first time. OH MY FRICKIN GOD !!!!

1. Look at the clutch and brake fluid through the masters' windows. make sure they don't look muddy and are able to kind of see through it. and by i mean "kind of see through", i don't mean that it should be transparent, but like looking at a glass of ice tea and not a glass of Coke.
  2. It may have problems getting into Neutral. Don't factor this in as a negative. A lot of Maxes, mine included, have issues in this department. Not that it's a nuisance, but rather you have to learn the trick.
  3. It'll probably puff some smoke out of its exhaust if it is started cold. As long as it is white smoke, the bike is normal.
  4. Have the owner, pop open the faux lid and helmet lock
  5. Bring a volt meter and make sure the battery is good
  6. Ask if when was the last time he serviced the steering head bearings
  7. Ask him what kind of oil (s)he's using and how often it was changed
  8. Bring a digital camera or phone to take pics
I know there would be more talking points I could offer if I thought some more, but seeing that your looking at it tomorrow, I don't know if I can come up with more in time.

Last but not least, and this is gonna sound sick, but don't buy it tomorrow. Look at it. Sit on it. Have a mate snap a pic of you in the saddle so that you can see how cool you're gonna be driving a head-turner. :) If you're allowed, drive it (CAREFULLY). Go home, sleep, dream of the bike, wake up, talk some more with friends who ride and show the folks on this forum the pics you took. <<If the owner is a VMaxForum member, I hope (s)he has some thick skin. :rofl_200:>> Contact the owner over the course of the next couple days until the weekend and make sure no ones gonna take your baby while you soak up more advice with adrenaline-free senses. Dude, you'll have all weekend to play with it and you'll have absolutely no regrets if you buy the puppy!!!

Just be rational and use your common senses, and I speak from experience, it's gonna be tough to think with a clear head after strapping your ass to this beast and hearing it roar.

Cheers
Damn, now I need a ride and bad! Please let it rain, really rain hard and soon!

bwahaha. looks like my post was all for not. anyways she looks like she's in good shape and should give you years of fun. congrats!
btw, did you find the Monkey underneath the lid, or was it under the pillion next to the toolbag?

ninjaneer: I liked your story a lot......

I'm gonna tape a somewhat modified copy under my Faus Covers in case my son gets any thoughts of keeping one of the Max's when I'm gone...:clapping:I'll add: Respect this VMax. It was the fastest production motorcycle on the planet at one time...

I would also ask the owner to write down all the mods he has made to the bike and any other mods made by previous owners, if known. Example, jetting changes, etc.

ninjaneer: I liked your story a lot......i'm gonna tape a somewhat modified copy under my faus covers in case my son gets any thoughts of keeping one of the max's when i'm gone...
wow! What a honor!!!
fainting.gif
it is f-in powerful for a newbie who doesn't have his wits about him and sitting in the saddle without the amount of respect a knight has when he confronts a dragon.
i'll add: Respect this vmax. It was the fastest production motorcycle on the planet at one time...
here's a pic of the sticker i stuck on my lid to remind me to keep the bike in good repair, respect the dragon underneath, and to remember to pay as much attention to my wife as i do my carburetor
laugh.gif
. P3161295.jpg

I would also ask the owner to write down all the mods he has made to the bike and any other mods made by previous owners, if known. Example, jetting changes, etc.

Yeah I am also planning on doing this too.

Welcome to the Yamaha Vmax information depot. Your stay here will fill you with knowledge, satisfaction in ownership, and most likely CopRunner will leave you with a uneasy feeling at some point. :biglaugh:
Plus we are the only site that can do the secret carb chain mod and live to tell about it, that alone is worth the price of admission!:punk:

ok im a noob prepare for a noobish question what is the secret carb chain mod. i searched but no dice

The "carb chain mod" is a running joke that has been around here for a few years.....................

Those who don't want to tell you the secret will tell you it is a joke, don't fall for that line. =) You will be amazed with the differnce it makes.

:surprise:what the carb chain mod is a joke :ummm: but i was just sold that mod and was promised it would make my bike go faster, smoother running and better mileage, so i was taken for ride then????? what the hell :damn angry: wish someone told me before i went out and spent money on this....

Latest posts

Back