New Venture Carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMain

Reaction score
I was reading on Yamaha-Motor.com about the Venture and it says it has heated carbs with Throttle Positioning Sensors. I was just wondering if this could be adapted for the Max??? BTW they are only 32 mm carbs but I am wondering about the TPS or heated, what good would they do on carbs???
Cheers

heated carbs are for sleds, they run coolant through them to keep them from icing up on very cold days, otherwise they hurt performance, just heating the fuel also. TPS is probably tied into the timing somehow?????

My brother has or at least had the heated carbs on his 2003 FZ1. He's installed Dale Walker 4 into 1, jet kit, timing kit and K&N filters. He removed a bunch of parts and the hoses running from the cooling system to carbs were some of the parts he took off.

They are probably heating the fuel to aid in combustion and cleaner burning (though this hurts performance). As noted the TPS may be tied into the timing to help things out too.

Sean

I don't know why you'd want to adapt any of that stuff to a VMX. I wish I could put the bigger VMX carbs in my bike (which would also eliminate the heaters and require a boost sensor), but there's not enough room in the frame for them.

The carb heaters are pretty pointless. They're electric, and they draw 15W each, for a total of 60W. Many of the Venture riders will disconnect them to get more current available for more lights or other accessories.

The TPS takes the place of the VMX's boost sensor and adjusts the spark timing based on engine load. It's maybe arguably a slightly more precise way to do it, since a device that reads a vacuum signal (boost sensor) will have some variability to it, where a TPS moves instantaneously with the throttle shaft.

I wouldn't mind carb heaters, as long as I can switch them on and off as I please

Froze my carbs again this morning, and it's not that cold here - just a bit damp.
I guess it's because I put that big hole in my airbox and changed the pressure difference in the venturi

Latest posts

Back