NHRA Rules for Motorcycles

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
Hey all, I wasn't sure where to post this so I threw it up in this area....

I'm hoping to run my bike at the local Test&Tune night here at Firebird Raceway. The most recent NHRA rules they have posted for motorcycle on their site is from the 2006 NHRA rulebook, and I'm trying to find something a little more updated than that but not having much luck.

My main question is if leather jackets are the only ones approved by the NHRA still or if they've approve other styles of jackets. I want to run, but not sure if my Tourmaster jacket will pass inspection. :confused2:

If it's armored they will likely let you use it. I am not sure of the specific rule.

The NHRA usually goes with the more cautious approach so if you can borrow a buddies leather jacket it might serve you well...OR try sending an e mail to NHRA and ask for any updated rules...

Even tracks that say they adhere to NHRA tend to loosen up on Test & Tune nights since that's where they make a load of money besides big events.

I got away without leather for a while at HRP and then finally got called on it by a new tech inspection guy, the one they called me on was just an ordinary jacket, not leather, not armored.....It was blue fire retardant nomex from my old plant job.......

Since then I've gotten a leather jacket..........

Seans probably right tho, if you have a textile jacket that's armored they might let it slide.........

If you crash you want leather, armored, it's how guys walk away.......sometimes....

There pretty lax down here. You half to have over the ankle boots leather jacket gloves & dot helmet also have to have leather pants if you break 120 MPH. I saw one guy running with a textile jacket.

Faster than 10.00 you need a license...and tech look for kill switches, leaks, loose bodywork...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Even tracks that say they adhere to NHRA tend to loosen up on Test & Tune nights since that's where they make a load of money besides big events.

I got away without leather for a while at HRP and then finally got called on it by a new tech inspection guy, the one they called me on was just an ordinary jacket, not leather, not armored.....It was blue fire retardant nomex from my old plant job.......

Since then I've gotten a leather jacket..........

Seans probably right tho, if you have a textile jacket that's armored they might let it slide.........

If you crash you want leather, armored, it's how guys walk away.......sometimes....

I would call the track and ask them, like Rusty said on test and tune they loosen the rules a bit to let people have a pass or two down the track.

Last edited:
I read that you can run with a tip over switch if equipted(like the gen II) instead of a teather /kill cord is that the case?

I read that you can run with a tip over switch if equipted(like the gen II) instead of a teather /kill cord is that the case?
Yes they did tell us that you can run with out the teather here because of the switch. To Be honest Like Rusty said they dont check a lot on Test & tune nights. Down here they dont check anything fill out your tech card & your on your way no tech inspection of any kind.

I will find out how they are in New York in the spring, just hope I can get it into the 10's first time out!

I ran mine at National trails raceway here in ohio last summer and was told I needed a leather jacket,boots,good gloves,and a Snell rated helmet.I didn't have a Snell but they had loaner helmets

Damn Kyle, Leather pants???? Will they accept chaps???? I've got the rest covered in Harleyware...:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
Maybe if I can get back into this I'll just buy a one piece suit...:confused2:

Damn Kyle, Leather pants???? Will they accept chaps???? I've got the rest covered in Harleyware...:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
Maybe if I can get back into this I'll just buy a one piece suit...:confused2:
Dave you can run a 2 piece suit or no leather pants at all a stock Gen 1 breaking a 120 MPH in the 1/4 does not happen all the time.

With me doing the riding, it may never happen....:rofl_200:
It would have to be my 89, atleast it'd have a chance....
Don't know about the FZ8, I don't even have it broken
in yet.

Hey, I'm losing some weight today. Tooth 19 is exiting
for whatever reason....:confused2:

Thanks for all the input folks, I'm going to try it with what I have for now and hope they let it slide. I was there for T&T night a few weeks back and they let me buddy run his 12.00 Mustang without a Snell helmet, so they do seem to be somewhat relaxed. Fingers crossed!

Kozy on a motorcyle with no snell helmet you better cross your finger's and your eye's. No wait crossing your eye's is bad advice at the dragstrip. Well i gess your just gona have to man up and cross your ball's. (LET A FRIEND DO THE TALKING) That and put a horse shoe up your ass. (DONT LET A FRIEND HELP INSTALL) And you might want to use a smaller size horse shoe. (save's on weight LOL):rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: Sorry kozy but you maid it easy.

Kozy on a motorcyle with no snell helmet you better cross your finger's and your eye's. No wait crossing your eye's is bad advice at the dragstrip. Well i gess your just gona have to man up and cross your ball's. (LET A FRIEND DO THE TALKING) That and put a horse shoe up your ass. (DONT LET A FRIEND HELP INSTALL) And you might want to use a smaller size horse shoe. (save's on weight LOL):rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: Sorry kozy but you maid it easy.

lol thanks for all that....i guess.
My helmet is DOT-approved, but I rarely ever use it so I'm not bothered by it not being Snell-rated. I can count on 1 finger the number of times I've worn it in the past 12 months. Out here in Arizona, it's too damn hot to wear a helmet! :punk:

Latest posts

Back