No Spark When Wet?!?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaho ALR Max

Reaction score
Last weekend I rode 350 miles to Elko, NV for a rally. It rained like crazy the first night and of course I didn't have a cover. The next morning the bike was obviously really wet. We rode downtown to the rally, and I parked it. The weather got better and it turned into a pretty nice day (for a while). The black clouds were heading in so we decided to catch lunch. The Max wouldn't start. It would crank just fine, but there was no spark at all. I ended up having to tow it back to the RV park (holy crap that was fun!:bang head:). As soon as we got to the RV park I tried it again and it started right up! I put it inside and shut it off. Turned the key right back on and it started again. Now I'm, thinking "Do I really want to ride 350 miles on a bike I can't safely turn off?" My answer was no, but it didn't matter because it wouldn't start again anyway. I rode home with the wife in her car, then took my trailer back and got the bike. It's a week later and it still won't start. It did this before a few years ago and I couldn't find anything wrong so it went into the shop. The shop found a loose ground in the stator area and it seemed to fix the problem until now.

Here's the important stuff, but I'm sure I will forget something.
92 V-Max with 14976 miles. Dynojet Stage 1. K&N Air Filter. Jardine Pipes.
I have the Clymer manual for it and I've just discovered that the Diode seems to be bad. It seems weird that it would work sometimes, but not when wet. Any ideas? I'd love some help!:ummm:

not sure where to start but others def will. how do u know ur diode is bad?

The Clymer manual has a continuity test you can do. There are three sets of pins you are supposed to check on the diode side with it unplugged. You are supposed to get continuity with the probes one way, but not the other. I didn't get continuity through any of the three pairs, regardless of whether I had the red or black probe touching the pins. The manual says that if you don't get continuity on all of them to replace it. Let's hope the local stealership has one since the weather is finally good here! Have you heard of any other ways to test the diode?

Nah, you tested right. That diode controls starter and also works with the cut-off ignition circuit. I would also test your side stand switch, p/u coil and your starting circuit cutoff relay too.

I'll check them right now and get back to you. Any idea why water would make this problem happen? I sure appreciate the help, I want to start pulling hair out!

Boy, the little rubber boot covering the positive stud on the starter was ignorant to get off with the cooling lines right there! At least the starter works right. I can't find the 4 pin plug they are talking about to test the side stand relay. It says there's a 4 pin plug on the right side under the cover. Not on my 92, unless it's hiding really well. Any ideas where that little booger might be? I have no way of getting the pickup coil warm, but I do get a little resistance through it on both plugs.

Yours doesn't have a sidestand relay, only '85-'89 models do. Your SCCR is under the left scoop I believe.

Gotcha Mark. Well that makes my Clymer manual a little bit off then. I checked the main relay on the left side and it checks out fine. Of course the stealership didn't have a diode, so I had to order it. Here comes a painful no-ride period in my life!

I seem to be having the same problem. I rode 100 miles last week with no problems, got home, washed the bike and no spark. 2 days later, no spark. 3 days later, starts fine. today (1 week later) no spark. Its making me crazy. HELP!!

Well max power, I'll sure let you know if/when the diode fixes the problem. I found one on eBay last night for $9.95 and bought it too. I figure if that's what the real problem is, having an extra one is a good idea! I was a little suspect of the key switch, but I can't find any way of testing it. Has anyone heard of a good test for the key switch?

I seem to be having the same problem. I rode 100 miles last week with no problems, got home, washed the bike and no spark. 2 days later, no spark. 3 days later, starts fine. today (1 week later) no spark. Its making me crazy. HELP!!

Up until recently I never had this problem either. In fact I used to rag on my neighbor when he would wash his Suzuki and it wouldn't start afterwards........I used to say "It's a vehicle designed for the elements. If it doesn't start, there's a problem"....still believe that mostly........But now that mines's doing it (but will restart after only 15 minutes or so in the sun) the only thing that's changed is the way I wash it.

In "the old days" I would wash using the conventional method, soap & light water rinse off.........but now i'm doing the spray on/rinse off method and the destructions tell you "more water pressure-cleaner results".......so now I take the hose on high stream and shoot it all over including into the plug wire area and such.............I dunno........

After reading this i had to go start mine, i rode home from work friday after it rained and it ran like a harley, tac didn't work ,souldnt' rev... fired right up today.

Well max power, I'll sure let you know if/when the diode fixes the problem. I found one on eBay last night for $9.95 and bought it too. I figure if that's what the real problem is, having an extra one is a good idea! I was a little suspect of the key switch, but I can't find any way of testing it. Has anyone heard of a good test for the key switch?

I would think that if the keyswitch was bad, you wouldnt get any lights, or juice to anything including the starter. Am I wrong?

I spent all afternoon yesterday going over all the wiring, grounds etc. and found nothing out of the ordinary. Everything 1 week dry at this point. Very frustrating problem. :bang head:

max power, I sure feel your pain. The worst part is that my bike is starting right up now. How the heck do you fix a problem you can't find? I can't trust it until I find the issue. There's an obvious problem, but no obvious solution (other than beer).

95spfldmax and max power, have you guys searched the forums for any other mention of this problem? I did, but I sure could have missed something. It seems weird that three of us (or more) are having this problem and it seems to be a new issue. At this point I'm open to ANY suggestions....

95spfldmax and max power, have you guys searched the forums for any other mention of this problem? I did, but I sure could have missed something. It seems weird that three of us (or more) are having this problem and it seems to be a new issue. At this point I'm open to ANY suggestions....

No. I didn't do any research. Just chimed in on the topic. But I just remembered that atleast one other thing has changed on my bike that I had forgotten about and that is I changed out the stock (crispy) boots (and wires) to aftermarket NGK's. They seem to be quality made but I did change them somewhat recently. Just wanted to throw that into the equation.

This problem hasn't become an overwelming problem (yet) for me that it appears to be for you guys. Keep me in the loop if any solutions arise.

I would think that if the keyswitch was bad, you wouldnt get any lights, or juice to anything including the starter. Am I wrong?

I spent all afternoon yesterday going over all the wiring, grounds etc. and found nothing out of the ordinary. Everything 1 week dry at this point. Very frustrating problem. :bang head:

I can rule out the keyswitch (atleast for my situation) because I just replaced mine with a new OEM one. Mine was getting sloppy at the contacts and thought it was contributing to my hot idle surge issue i'm dealing with. And NO it didn't solve the problem. But it was worn and needed to be replaced.

Mike, will do for sure. I haven't changed anything on mine, so it would be strange if the spark plug wires have anything to do with it but who knows? As for the key switch, I'm going to dive into the wiring schematics. If the key switch is supposed to give power to two separate circuits (the ignition and starter) at the same time, it seems possible that it's not giving power to the ignition side. The way the key switch points up when it's on the side stand seems like a possible issue since water could get down in it. The attachment is a picture of my bike the way it currently sits, and the sun is shining!!!:bang head:

Attachments

• ACD4F.jpg
    ACD4F.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back