No Start Issue 1985

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troncd

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

A few weeks ago my dad gave me his 1985 Vmax. His dad had bought it new, left it to my dad upon his death, and then my dad sold it in 1996. He had sold it to an old family friend and ended up purchasing it back in 2017 and then decided to gift it to me a few weeks ago.

Not long after getting it, I decided to change the grips. After installing the new grips, I had a heck of a time getting it to start. I thought (and still kind of do think) that I flooded it twisting the new grip on. I was able to get it to start intermitantly but began to get a week battery. Next day, more of the same. It would start after sitting on a charger, but after riding even 10 mins it would not start after being shut off.

I confirmed almost ideal charge voltage of 13.9 around 5,000 RPM. I then charged the battery and took it to Batt Plus for load test. They quickly said it had a dead cell and sold me a new battery. The one that was replaced was only about 4 months old.

I was hopeful that the new battery would solve my issue, but even after a full charge it will not start. The only time I got it to start was right after I popped the fuel cap off. I thought this might mean a blocked vent but now it wont start even with the cap off.

I've drained the carbs and confirmed flow. I changed the plugs. I then tested for spark and realized that the rear left plug will not spark. It will spark if I hook that coil to the neighboring supply wires so its not a coil, wire, plug issue. Also, I don't think its a pickup coil issue since I get spark at 3 of the coils/ plugs. Is that a safe assumption?

I have disconnected the sidestand relay with no luck. Any tips on where to look next? It will just turn over and over but never start. I had no issues before changing the stupid grips...

Thanks in advance for any help.

if you need to get a plug to spark by hooking it up to a neighbouring supply then something must be at fault with its own supply route

Hello and welcome ,get a manual for trouble shooting procedure's and or download an elecrtic's schematic, save you from guess work. Work backward from #1 plug. It's been my experience that a max will start and run on 3 cylinder's is why you should follow a procedure, the book will show you how to isolate and test component's before you end up throwing money at it.

I've drained the carbs and confirmed flow. I changed the plugs. I then tested for spark and realized that the rear left plug will not spark.

Do you know how long the bike has been standing? Draining carbs proves nothing. The jets, in particular the pilot jet - has tiny hole through it, are easily blocked. It is not difficult to take the carbs out and clean up the insides; I've recently done that. TBH the amount of time it took to poke a filed down needle to clean the pilot jets means it much quicker/easier to replace the jet, assuming you can work out what size is needed and can source them.

Guys, the bike and he haven't been seen since last year. At this point the bike may-be in the first year of another 'nap.' The OP said it's been sitting since 2017, this may be year 3 of another 20-year nap. Call this, the 'Rip Van Winkle' bike, and owner. No update on his location either, where someone local could volunteer to help him. Apparently, he has lost-interest.

Those are the ones on craigslist I target! Paid 1200 for my "new" 86 one owner bike. Folks often assume the worst or lose interest and dump them.

They're right about loss vs. gain!

I wouldn't pay $1200 for a used, non-operational VMax. I assume that it's got 2nd gear issues, if it has any miles on it, or a blown motor, There isn't enough profit in the parts left-over to make my $ back. Maybe if it looked like a true 'cream-puff,' the engine turned-over, and it had compression, the factory accessories were there: passenger backrest, case-guards, 'flycatcher' windscreen, Corbin seat, maybe a Kerker 4-1, and a Dynojet Stage 7 kit (easy to-spot by the woven stainless steel crankcase to airbox breather and oil separator); it wasn't torn-apart, by someone trying to fix it, and not-knowing what he was doing.

I once looked at a bike here in FL, the owner advertised it as a 'deal.' Glad he didn't say, 'steal.' That's what he wanted for it, $1200. It didn't run, it was partially-disassembled, and for my impecunious ways, it was too-expensive. I passed on it. He had two Gen 1's, the other one didn't run and he demanded 'stupid money' for it, > $3k! "No-way, Jose!" Both of them had 'condition issues,' they appeared to be stored outside for a considerable portion of their lives and everything was weathered. When I saw 'em they were in a garage.

Fast-forward over a year. Another CL ad, and the pic looked familiar. Dial the #, and it's still in my cellphone directory, the same guy w/two VMaxes, looking to-sell. I went out there, he apparently didn't recall me having been there before, and the $1200 bike was now missing the carbs, nowhere to be found, and he claimed his big dog had chewed-up the wire harness. Something had chewed-up the wire harness, and had-swallowed the end connectors, too! I offered him $500 and this time, realizing he actually had something of minimal value, he took it. If he didn't have the title, I probably wouldn't have bought it at $100. I don't need the possibility of a purloined steed. He still had the other bike, it still wasn't operational, and he still demanded stupid money for it. I made him a package deal, given the bikes both didn't work, he hadn't been able to get them running himself, though he was very-skilled at disassembly! He still felt his bike was valuable, so the package deal didn't happen.

Dude, you have way roo much time on your hands!

Anyway, I have bought and sold more motorcycles than I can count or remember - literally. I jumped all over this non-running, one owner 86. Ill-advised? You tell me. I now have a screaming, no-rust "cream puff" for less than $1800USD.

Thanks to all the tentative potential purchasers out there like you appear to be, I scored by manning up and splashing a little cash.

I originally planned to flip it, but joins the herd. (Earned a spot)

(For the record, like you I don't pounce unless the machine is a diamond in the rough. A five minute inspection (or less) will tell the tale).

Last edited:
Dude, you have way roo (sic) much time on your hands!

Anyway, I have bought and sold more motorcycles than I can count or remember - literally. I jumped all over this non-running, one owner 86. Ill-advised? You tell me. I now have a screaming, no-rust "cream puff" for less than $1800USD.

Thanks to all the tentative potential purchasers out there like you appear to be, I scored by manning up and splashing a little cash.

I originally planned to flip it, but joins the herd. (Earned a spot)

(For the record, like you I don't pounce unless the machine is a diamond in the rough. A five minute inspection (or less) will tell the tale).

Hey, I'm locked-in here! 'Shelter-in-place,' you-know! I've got plenty of time!

There is a Cuban saying: "he walks on his elbows to save his shoe-leather." I'd rather have two $600 bikes than one $1200 bike, the bikes probably-purchased separately. If your $1200 purchase has worked-out well for you, good! Maybe if I saw it, as-clean as it may-be, I'd think it could be worth the $. I just don't spend that-much for a non-operational bike, and I'm not-into the vintage rust piles where Mike and Frank pay $5000 for rusty, holed Harley parts, on American Pickers, that they dug-up out of someone's backyard.

I'm not into the 'purchase mode' now. I'm working on fixing what rolling stock I have and will be selling 'em. Build-up some $ and see what strikes my fancy.

While a quick several-minute appraisal will often tell me yes or no, I usually will take more-time to come to a decision. It's more-of a, "what are the good points to make me buy this?" If the paperwork isn't good, I walk, no exceptions. I don't need those kinds of issues. Many of my purchases are non-operational, at the time of acquisition, that's why the price is so-low, and that's my leverage. Not-many people are willing to spend $$ on a non-operational 13-35 year-old motorcycle, so the owner is more-likely to sell. It's just-that my 'willingness to-pay' has a lower upper threshold than is yours.

I've turned-down VMaxes in the past, because they had issues: not well-maintained, too-many issues needing correction and too-high of an asking price; non-operational bike in poor physical condition; crash damage, whatever. I leave my number, and tell the seller, call me if you want to-sell. At my price.

Back