No Start, no spark found

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRMCDOWELL

Reaction score
I have recently bought this 1998 vmax. its completely stock.
Road to work everything was fine. after work went to start it up, cranks no start. checked for spark, found no spark. so i proceeded to replace the spark plugs. ohm checked the coils and wires, all test good. 3ohms per coil primary side. 19k ohms per coil secondary side. test ignition pick up coil. 106 ohms.
all roads lead to ignition cdi unit?? am i missing something?? cdi has power B+ at
red/blk wire.

I am just wondering if I could be missin something. before i go drop a few hundred on a new module just thought i would see if anyone could steer me in a good direction.

if i do need a new black box what is a good one to go with as a replacement??

Thanks

Well don't go blow big money for a new one!

Plenty of them are available here and ebay. You want the newer style, not the old style 85-90 model years. Morley Muscle might have one available as a test unit to see if that is actually your problem. Welcome to the forum! Ask before you jump as almost everything ever encounteted has been discussed, addressed, and solved here.

OK thanks for the info! I have looked into a DYNA 3000? Good? Bad? Looks like about $250.

I appreciate the welcome. I've been poking around and like what I see. The more I can learn about this bike the better.

Your best bet - ask Sean Morley (one2dmax) for a loaner on the TCI box so you can make sure that's your problem!
Then if it is, buy a S/H one from either Sean or Kyle (captainkyle) who both should have some available.

You can also get a Dyna3000 - quite a few people run them and it should be a straight swap. Only thing is the Dyna are a bit more sensitive, so if you ever look at doing the COP (Coils Over Plugs) mod you will need resistors in the wiring harness or it'll fry the Dyna.

Either way, check that is your problem first before dropping any $$$!

Back