Noise from rear bank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs92s1880

Reaction score
I just bought an 86, 18k miles. The thing has a ticking from the top end on the right hand side. Sound like 1 valve is WAY out of adjustment. No noise from the rest of the heads. I just had the cam tensioners replaced due the rear chain slapping around in the case(decided to have both done at the same time). Maybe 'ticking' is a bit of an understatement, it clatters like there's a midget stuck in the with a hammer(he is great at keeping a rhythm though).
I am planning to pull the valve covers to check valve clearance, but seems odd with so few miles, plus it doesn't sound like the valve(s) are clattering, just one.

anybody seen this?

I just bought an 86, 18k miles. The thing has a ticking from the top end on the right hand side. Sound like 1 valve is WAY out of adjustment. No noise from the rest of the heads. I just had the cam tensioners replaced due the rear chain slapping around in the case(decided to have both done at the same time). Maybe 'ticking' is a bit of an understatement, it clatters like there's a midget stuck in the with a hammer(he is great at keeping a rhythm though).
I am planning to pull the valve covers to check valve clearance, but seems odd with so few miles, plus it doesn't sound like the valve(s) are clattering, just one.

anybody seen this?

Have you checked your head pipes? maybe they're loose or you have a weak exhaust gasket.

WAS THE NOISE THERE BEFORE THE TENSIONER'S WERE REPLACED ? :confused2:WHY DID THE TENSIONER GO BAD ?:confused2: DID IT COME APART & PIECES GET INTO THE MOTOR ?:confused2: DID THE CHAIN SLAPPING AROUND BREAK OFF A PIECE OF A CHAIN GUIDE & THATS MAKING THE NOISE ?:confused2:

Ya im with Cop on this one. I would definitely check the oil pan by pulling it off to see what it could be and rule out any major oops later. Does the noise change with engine speed. Might be a out of adjustment tappet but WHY ONLY ONE THAT BAD???? HMMM.....Just dont let it get worse. I have a 85 and my valve guide just broke. It sounded kinda like what you described. But there are a lot of things that it could be lets just hope its a loose bolt or something, easy:ummm::ummm::ummm:

Noise was there before tensioner replacement. The automatic chain tensioner 'wore out' according to the technician. Tensioner did not grenade. No metal chunks in the oil when I drained it, but I haven't pulled the pan. Noise increases frequency with engine speed. No change with clutch. Same noise under power as well as with deceleration. This is definately not an exhaust leak, but rather a mechanical noise. Almost certainly in the valve train.

This exact same thing just happened to mine. Exactly what you described a midget with a hammer. I tried to listen to my valve trains with a screwdriver and didnt hear anything on them.
I am going to drain my oil and see if I see any gold flakes.
Keep us/me posted on what you find!!!

You'll want to pull the valve cover and inspect the timing marks. Mine sounded like that right before it grenaded the #1 piston. Intake valves were advanced 1 tooth too far. I wouldn't run it till it's been checked. By the way, the timing marks for the rear cams are the straight lines on the cam caps, not the teardrop marks just beside them.
Good luck,
Paul

Found my issue
One of the bolts that holds the cam sproket to the cam decided it didnt want to play anymore and wanted to live in my oil sump, in tiny little pieces. The result was the sprocket slapping against the tabs on the cam. Not cool. Gonna get a couple more bolts and do a very thorough inspection of the valve area.
Cheers

Found my issue
One of the bolts that holds the cam sproket to the cam decided it didnt want to play anymore and wanted to live in my oil sump, in tiny little pieces. The result was the sprocket slapping against the tabs on the cam. Not cool. Gonna get a couple more bolts and do a very thorough inspection of the valve area.
Cheers

Sorry to hear that brother. Let us know how it turns out.

Havent found anyhting yet, pulled the pan, no metal flake(or chunks). I now have a new noise though, apparently i woke up the midget's big brother in the bottom end. now I'm afraid i may have a rod bearing noise. Seems my vmax is not as bullet proof as they say. I'll keep you updated after i pull the valve covers. Wish me luck.

Will do. Probably going to drop the oil pan to and see how much of the bolt I can find.
Remember bro that I have that amplified scope for listening and finding where noises if any are comming from exactly if you ever need it (God willing that you don`t) ( I finally organized somewhat all my tools.)
<<Dave>>:th_favorites24:

Last edited:
OK, so i pulled the pan, nothing, i pulled the valve cover, nothing, valve are fine, no adj necessary. pulled the clutch cover to look for the downstairs noise. nothing, all tight and good.

I pulled the rear right plug and spun the motor over, NO NOISE. Crap! cracked piston?bad wrist pin? what do you think?

What did the plug actually look like? Any physical damage to it?

Sean

I had a valve spring break once that was impossible to see with the cams and buckets still in place. The way we found out was the valve would not adjust. No matter how thick a shim we used we could still get the feeler gauge into it. Something you might check.

Is the pan still off?? You can pull the cap off the rod for that cylinder and inspect the bearing.

Sean

My technician suspects bad wrist pin or cracked piston. Sound reasonable? he is in the process of pulling the jug right now to see.

There is no jug on these bikes. You have to pull the head, pull the pan, and then you can get the piston out.

Sean

My thoughts only but if he told you he is pulling the jug, then you probably shouldnt let him work on your bike, my opinion only. I just had a valve guide break and it sounds alot like something that you are explaining. I would check that. Did it smoke at all when you did have it started??? Thanks Roy

Latest posts

Back