Non Max project dilemma

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakRatFink

Reaction score
So, I'm due home from an overseas deployment this week and obviously excited to get the Max back on the road.
However, I also have an old '92 FZR 600 streetfighter in the back of the garage waiting to be resurrected ( runs solid, needs a brake M/C and some fork seal work )
The dilemma is I have a lead on another FZR with complete body work however may or may not have a title. With the exception of dirty carbs/ choke it is a "parts bike" that is probably more complete than my current project.

If I can get the parts bike for a couple hundred, do I rebuild a fully faired mostly stocker, or strip apart a good stocker to resurrect a streetfighter?

The two bikes together aren't worth much to anyone. If you have one stocker not all roached-out, in stock paint and looking good and running good, it's probably a $1K bike at best. Unless you want to sell the parts you don't use, either keep the streetfighter for parts and try to get the best-looking one closest to stock to look like a nicely-kept version for your use, or swap the best parts on the one you have no title issues with and try to make a stock looking ride. people like to see an unmolested ride from that era, because the 600's typically get used-up quickly, so there aren't many out there in stock, uncrashed shape.

Whenever I go someplace on my FZR1000, because it's a stocker, people always comment on how nice it looks and then I tell them it's 25 years old and they can't believe it. I have been acquiring parts for it as spares because I want to hang-onto it as a functional bike for years to-come. There are newer, faster bikes, but few of these in good shape remain. Aluminum hollow-box perimeter frame, five valves per-cylinder, hollow 3-spoke wheels, radial tires, dual headlights (glass, not plastic lenses) swoopy bodywork, stock s.s. 4/1, light for its time, a legit. 10-sec 1/4-miler. The GSXR1100 & this were battling it out for street stocker supremacy 25 years ago. The handling was a relevation compared to what everyone else was riding. Mine is a keeper.

My advice-make the two into one as-close to stock appearance as you can get it and you will get lots of compliments and attention.

The two bikes together aren't worth much to anyone. If you have one stocker not all roached-out, in stock paint and looking good and running good, it's probably a $1K bike at best. Unless you want to sell the parts you don't use, either keep the streetfighter for parts and try to get the best-looking one closest to stock to look like a nicely-kept version for your use, or swap the best parts on the one you have no title issues with and try to make a stock looking ride. people like to see an unmolested ride from that era, because the 600's typically get used-up quickly, so there aren't many out there in stock, uncrashed shape.

Whenever I go someplace on my FZR1000, because it's a stocker, people always comment on how nice it looks and then I tell them it's 25 years old and they can't believe it. I have been acquiring parts for it as spares because I want to hang-onto it as a functional bike for years to-come. There are newer, faster bikes, but few of these in good shape remain. Aluminum hollow-box perimeter frame, five valves per-cylinder, hollow 3-spoke wheels, radial tires, dual headlights (glass, not plastic lenses) swoopy bodywork, stock s.s. 4/1, light for its time, a legit. 10-sec 1/4-miler. The GSXR1100 & this were battling it out for street stocker supremacy 25 years ago. The handling was a relevation compared to what everyone else was riding. Mine is a keeper.

My advice-make the two into one as-close to stock appearance as you can get it and you will get lots of compliments and attention.

I'm leanign toward your way of thinking.

Latest posts

Back