Normal oil pressure at idle?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidwin

Reaction score
I just installed my cycle-one off oil pressure gauge and was wondering what most people get at startup. Mine starts at about 20-25 then warms up to about 30 psi.

i bought the o ring kit too but i'm trying to decide should i hold off since that is going to require more work. Is that pressure normal or a tad low? I thought that was weird that the oil pressure gauge is checking the oil at the pan since i didn't think the pan was pressurized.

Thanks,
Sid

I checked mine with some hvac gauges and saw around 60 psi on cold startup which dropped to about 10 psi at hot idle.

The gauge is tapped into the oil passageways and is pressurized by the pump. There is no pressure in the pan.

COO's kit is really easy. Worst part is dropping the exhaust and scraping the gasket of the bottom of the engine block.

I don't have a gauge so I can't comment on your pressure readings.

I noticed that the 2 of you who responded with 60 and 10 lb readings have older Max's. There was an upgrade done to the Max at some point that changed the piping and o-rings down there on the pan. I was just looking at it today for my 94. The readings of 20-25 and 30 may be normal for an 01, Don't get overly concerned yet until someone with a newer model tells us what their readings are.

Dave

:punk: Hey, at idle you will only notice 1-5 psi when warm. Should be about 30 psi when driving down the highway. Don't worry about pressure on this type gauge, they are not know for their accuracy. Good Luck, Spurs

when mine is cold , it has 65 lbs. , after 10 minutes at idle it slowly creeps down , when i ride for 30 minutes & engine oil is fully hot , at idle i will have 0-5 lbs. , and i will have 10 lbs. Per, 1,000 rpm , at 3,000 rpms i will have about 30 lbs. At 5,000 rpms i will have about 50 lbs !

i'm trying to decide should i put the upgraded oring in. i was hoping the oil pressure gauge would tell me.

i'm trying to decide should i put the upgraded oring in. i was hoping the oil pressure gauge would tell me.

I don't understand why your pressure went up as the bike warmed up.

We go through at least 50 gauges at my work every year. We dont buy those small ones because that arnt accurate and dont last.

When I saw 5-10 psi at warm idle with a accurate gauge I was confident my oring was doing its job.

Attachments

• vmaxoil 001.jpg
    vmaxoil 001.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 25
+1 to COPRUNNERS post! Cold-65psi, hot at idle-about zero (I don't like that at all but it's normal) and about 9#-10# per each 1K rpm.

Bike-- '99 with the o-ring fix.

its not startup u should nec worry about but once the engine is warm
i usually get 0-5 psi at warm idle... like CR

once its really warmed up tho on the hottest day i'll see 1k rpm = 10 psi like everyone, but when my idle starts at 0 psi, for example, 3k = 20psi.

+1 to COPRUNNERS post! Cold-65psi, hot at idle-about zero (I don't like that at all but it's normal) and about 9#-10# per each 1K rpm.

Bike-- '99 with the o-ring fix.

Has Coprunner checked or installed the oring?

Id be concerned if I had ZERO oil pressure.

Might be the oil. Im using rotela

CR has done the oring fix.

i'm sure its not 0, but its small. anyways, how often are you at idle?

Has Coprunner checked or installed the oring?

Id be concerned if I had ZERO oil pressure.

Might be the oil. Im using rotela

I use Rotella also--15W40.

It's not ZERO, but damn near, couple pounds or so, it varies. These things have very little o/p at idle. I would be concerned if I didn't have 8# - 10# per K rpm tho....that's far more critical imo.

Folks have to remember that the Vmax oiling system is a low pressure/high flow system. Fully warmed up have ~2psi oil pressure at idle is fine, you still have plenty of flow through the system. The 10 psi/1k rpm is another rule of thumb but not the end all be all. My Max has a PC Racing high flow oil filter that the oil flows ~7x easier through and I have noted that my oil pressure has dropped a wee bit to aroun 35psi at 4k rpm. Am I worried, nope. Oil pressure gauges are great, but they can also be a distraction and make people see a problem where none may exist.

NOW, I would be worried if it dropped to 0 psi at 4k rpm~:bang head:

According to my setup, I'm about 60-65 on cold start up, and 10 on hot idle.

Attachments

• gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 27
folks have to remember that the vmax oiling system is a low pressure/high flow system. Fully warmed up have ~2psi oil pressure at idle is fine, you still have plenty of flow through the system. The 10 psi/1k rpm is another rule of thumb but not the end all be all. my max has a pc racing high flow oil filter that the oil flows ~7x easier through and i have noted that my oil pressure has dropped a wee bit to around 35psi at 4k rpm. Am i worried, nope. Oil pressure gauges are great, but they can also be a distraction and make people see a problem where none may exist.

Now, i would be worried if it dropped to 0 psi at 4k rpm~:bang head:
Jim is 100% correct ! .. If you have any dought , just read the first post in this thread , and look in the " shop manual " & " google " it yourselves , its really quite interesting , it doest have hydraulic lifters so it does not need pressure as if it did , like most car engines do , but rest assure its getting a massive volume of oil ! http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=7386

Back