Not good noise!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65fury

Reaction score
So i just got my bike running again and after coming home from just getting gas, i was pushing my bike into my shop when i heard a noise in my differential.... sounds basically like a ball bearing is riding around in there!! as i push it every now and then i heard the distinct noise of a small ball rolling around and clicking and sometimes dropping... what the heck wopuld that be??? my bike still seemed to drive straight while going thru town, no wobbles or anything! now im scared to ride it(for obvious reasons:damn angry:) any ideas??

Jason

have you had the swingarm off? Sometimes when the swingarm isn't adjusted right you can hear the u-joint click as it hits the sides.

I've had this happen and I could have sworn it was the diff.

So i just got my bike running again and after coming home from just getting gas, i was pushing my bike into my shop when i heard a noise in my differential.... sounds basically like a ball bearing is riding around in there!! as i push it every now and then i heard the distinct noise of a small ball rolling around and clicking and sometimes dropping... what the heck wopuld that be??? my bike still seemed to drive straight while going thru town, no wobbles or anything! now im scared to ride it(for obvious reasons:damn angry:) any ideas??

May not be the differential, Jason. Put your bike on the centrestand, and slowly rotate the rear tire, in the direction of travel. See if you can hear that "ball bearing dropping" If this is where the noise is originating, let me know, I'll post the link to previous threads.
Cheers, Miles

Well the w=swing arm has been off but that was a while ago and ive never heard this noise before, is not a consistent noise, i sounds almost like a ball bearing in a can being rolled down the side walk and sometimes the ball sticks to the can and rides up the side then falls.... if that makes any sense.

I dont have a center stand due to my kerker 4-1 exhaust, but after listening to it again it sounds almost like some thing is rolling around inside my rim> since inside where the cush drive bushings are is actually hallow... thats kinda what it sounds like. im gunna jack up the back of the bike and spin the tire to get a better idea.

Jason

Well the w=swing arm has been off but that was a while ago and ive never heard this noise before, is not a consistent noise, i sounds almost like a ball bearing in a can being rolled down the side walk and sometimes the ball sticks to the can and rides up the side then falls.... if that makes any sense.

I dont have a center stand due to my kerker 4-1 exhaust, but after listening to it again it sounds almost like some thing is rolling around inside my rim> since inside where the cush drive bushings are is actually hallow... thats kinda what it sounds like. im gunna jack up the back of the bike and spin the tire to get a better idea.

Jason
Queue Garrett as he has a similar problem a year or two ago. I will attempt to locate the post but maybe he could give his take on what his issue was.

Queue Garrett as he has a similar problem a year or two ago. I will attempt to locate the post but maybe he could give his take on what his issue was.

Will do, but first.... whos Garret?? :confused2:

Jason

cliffnotes:

crap got in the hub of my rear wheel. sometime later a few of the inner sleeves of the bushings got loose and were rattling around in there. take the rim off and see what makes noise at that point.

cliffnotes:

crap got in the hub of my rear wheel. sometime later a few of the inner sleeves of the bushings got loose and were rattling around in there. take the rim off and see what makes noise at that point.

Oh hey Garret! i do know you! haha well i jacked up the bike and spun the tire.... NOTHING!! forwards backwards.... slowly, fast... and nothing! no noises. Its solid and doesnt have any play and spins smooth... so i took it for a ride again and like i said before there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with how it drives... :confused2:

Jason

haha so did the noise stop?

Not exactly...:ummm: i sometimes here it when pushing it into the garage... but when i jacked it up and spun the tire it didnt make the noise once! so maybe its not my differential?? maybe kjshover was right... maybe U joints?? ahhh i dont know any more!!!! carbs wont run right, front forks are to squishy, and that random noise i thought was my diff is all driving me wacko!:bang head: *sigh* okay im done venting:biglaugh:

Jason

well if its past the differential try putting it in gear and pushing against the 'stop' poitn does it make a noise then?

well if its past the differential try putting it in gear and pushing against the 'stop' poitn does it make a noise then?

hmmm didnt try that yet..... but ive only heard the noise when its in neutral and im pushing it into my shop.... so i figured it would make the noise in neutral with the tire in the air spinning.... but i guess not, ill try putting it in gear and rotating it to

jason

Back