oil leak near kickstand

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidwin

Reaction score
guys more poor baby just hit 10k miles. i went into my garage yesterday and saw oil near the kick stand. i think it is coming from the shifter seal. is that common and how hard is it to replace? any other ideas on where that is coming from would be great.

Thanks,
Sid

Possibly coming from the middle gear cover. If I remember right there is a crush washer there. Did you have that cover or the stator off?

Or from behind the clutch slave. Spray some parts cleaner up there then some foot powder. Run the bike. The source will show up.

Plenty of options to choose from.

Grommet in the stator cover that seals up the wires.

Stator cover gasket.

Mid gear cover gasket.

Loose bolt on the mid gear cover. As KJ noted, there is one bolt on the mid gear with a copper washer. If that bolt is loose, you can leak oil.

Seal on the front of the differential. Diff oil travels up the swingarm and comes out of the hole in the bottom of the rubber swingarm boot.

Similar to above but instead of diff oil, engine oil leaking past the output shaft seal. It can make its way out the rubber swingarm boot.

If you have never opened up the stator or mid gear covers my first guess would be the shift shaft seal. It can be replaced by removing the shift lever and the linkage. Pull the snap ring retaining the shift lever and totally remove the bolt securing the linkage to the shift shaft and remove as a unit. Put a small screw in the seal and pull it out. Grease the lips of the new seal and carefully tap in place. Take note that the shift shaft is marked so you can properly index the linkage upon reassembly.

Best bet is clean things up, warm the bike up and observe so you can determine the actual location.

Plenty of options to choose from.

Grommet in the stator cover that seals up the wires.

Stator cover gasket.

Mid gear cover gasket.

Loose bolt on the mid gear cover. As KJ noted, there is one bolt on the mid gear with a copper washer. If that bolt is loose, you can leak oil.

Seal on the front of the differential. Diff oil travels up the swingarm and comes out of the hole in the bottom of the rubber swingarm boot.

Similar to above but instead of diff oil, engine oil leaking past the output shaft seal. It can make its way out the rubber swingarm boot.

If you have never opened up the stator or mid gear covers my first guess would be the shift shaft seal. It can be replaced by removing the shift lever and the linkage. Pull the snap ring retaining the shift lever and totally remove the bolt securing the linkage to the shift shaft and remove as a unit. Put a small screw in the seal and pull it out. Grease the lips of the new seal and carefully tap in place. Take note that the shift shaft is marked so you can properly index the linkage upon reassembly.

Best bet is clean things up, warm the bike up and observe so you can determine the actual location.

The leak from the driveshaft seal was a tough one for me to diagnose, to me it was the engine output shaft seal. It wasn't until I took the diff off/ driveshaft off that I found the bad seal.
This leak revealed another problem for me, as it turned out when I extended my swingarm and thus my driveshaft I forgot to put anti-seize on that connection. To replace the driveshaft seal you have to slide it over the opposite end of the shaft which on my drive shaft was occupied by the 3" extension. The extension is larger in diameter than the seal so it has to come off to replace this seal and of course mine would not budge! I had a buddy who had a friend at a machine shop who finally got it off after cutting the end off the driveshaft, slid a thick walled pipe over the shaft and welded a head to it so he could slide hammer the shaft out of the extension. I picked up a EBay driveshaft for $25 so for less than a $100 I had the seal replaced!
In installing the whole mess back together I damaged the output shaft seal but my good friend Damon came to my rescue here and replaced this seal since I had no good way of holding the gear to get the output shaft free of the housing to get to the seal.

thanks guys. i'm going out to clean it with some break cleaner now. never once has my baby leaked oil. i did the mod with the oil pump years ago to fix the o ring problem. i just changed the oil the other day using my maxjax lift. now she's seeping :(

Or from behind the clutch slave. Spray some parts cleaner up there then some foot powder. Run the bike. The source will show up.
Hi Dave, I think my leak may be coming from the "Shift Shaft". I've never gone into the engine (22k mi on 2006)and it looks like it's the source. I ordered a Shift Shaft Seal but am uncertain where it goes; Do I remove the Middle Gear Cover and install it in there? Or can it be installed by removing the Shifter Assembly only?
Any help would be greatly appreciated (I've reached out to others with no response)

Thanks,
Steve (910)658-4212

Its been awhile but, IIRC, you need to remove the foot peg. Then the shifter assembly. Then the mid gear cover because the shift shaft passes thru the mid gear cover and is supported by a bushing in it.

Once that is all done, you can access the seal that is in the block. Use a small screw, pick, or awl and dig the old seal out and install the new.

Getting the old one out is the hard part.

Make sure you have a new mid gear cover gasket and either a new copper washer or re-anneal the existing before reusing.

From Sean - Loose bolt on the mid gear cover

About a month ago, I had a leak below the kickstand.. Found out that 1 of the bolts around the cover was loose.. Able to get about 1/4 turn on it.. No more leaks..

Back